Thread: Pre-emergent with no rain

Default Pre-emergent with no rain

I really need to get my clearfield sunflowers in the ground this weekend due to scheduling issues and there is no rain in the forecast for the next 10 days. I'm not worried about them because there is enough ground moisture to get them to sprout. Most years the weatherman misses the forecast and I end up going a couple of weeks without rain after planning anyways and I always do fine. This time I'm going into it knowing that there won't be any rain so am I wasting expensive chemicals spraying the pre-emergent knowing that there will not be any rain? I normally use Dual II Magnum and Spartan Charge or Prowl H2O and Spartan Charge. I'll be going back with Impose later.

Yes.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Go Tigers!

Dual for example has a half life of about 22 days. But needs more rain to activate than some. There are other pre-emergents that have longer half life and don't require as much rain and better for drier conditions. But I would still slray. You will be ok. Been in your situation plenty of times. You just might need residual sooner than when you normally would.

But wait as long as you can to spray. Would not go beyond 72 hrs after planting to spray to stretch your effect

Quote Originally Posted by smithdc2 View Post
    Dual for example has a half life of about 22 days. But needs more rain to activate than some. There are other pre-emergents that have longer half life and don't require as much rain and better for drier conditions. But I would still slray. You will be ok. Been in your situation plenty of times. You just might need residual sooner than when you normally would.
    That's great information! Thanks for the reply!

Last week I harrowed in Prowl H2O and planted on top of it. Iffen it doesn't work there's always Cadre.