Thread: New to me boat porpoising

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Without special water pickups, there's only so much you can jack the foot up but is there no amount of down trim that will stop the porpoising?

What about trim tabs?

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
    First statement is true. The idea is to find the sweet spot for all the variables involved. If top speed is the focus, jack that sucker up high as it'll go while still circulating enough water. For this type boat, I agree jacking it up to a stupid high level just doesn't make much sense. But you can still get as much of the motor outta the water to reduce unnecessary drag. Especially if he decides on a 4-blade prop.

Far as the porpoising part, think "what is root cause?" If you use trim tabs to address the porpoising you're treating the symptom while turning a blind eye to what's actually causing it. Why install trim tabs when it really just needs the right prop? Big fishing boats in the ocean, trim tabs can be game changer for sure. Flat running mud hull on small water? Trim tabs are overkill. Just solve it at the source and get a prop that allows the boat to run like it's supposed by providing that stern lift it needs and keeping the nose outta the air allowing the boat to run level.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 04-29-2024 at 11:40 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft