Thread: "Climate Smart" forestry survey?

Default "Climate Smart" forestry survey?

Did anyone else get one from SCFC? I read through it and probably won't participate. It seems to be pushing new government programs to offer money for certain forestry practices. I always expect to find a hook when bait is thrown at me.

What are your thoughts on the pros and cons of participating in these initiatives?
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; 04-23-2024 at 07:18 PM.

I got one. If you read it you’ll see you’re not guaranteed to get an offer to participate in any programs. It’s just a survey about how you manage your land. One question, “who should pay for the Smart Forestry or whatever the program is called”?? How about the fucking landowner? You want a benefit for your trees “to offset carbon no less” you pay nit the taxpayer. Pretty sure I wouldn’t get involved in that Unkess someone knows better but I did send in the survey.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Isn’t most of the proposed climate smart aspects already in practice by most forest management companies.

Isn’t most of the proposed climate smart aspects already in practice by most forest management companies.
    Last edited by centurian; 04-23-2024 at 08:22 PM. Reason: Doublepost

If you own land I would look into the options. Timber markets are down and I don’t see them rebounding significantly anytime soon. Whether you agree with the “climate smart” and carbon stuff or not, it’s another way to make income off forest land. In some scenarios you can get paid to do nothing. A fellow forester I know set up his family property in a carbon study and will make almost $200K over 5 years for deferring harvest. At the end of the 5 years he gets paid and then can cut the timber if he wants. The world is changing and if you are a landowner you may as well investigate your options. Especially given the state of the timber market in the south.
    More Ducks, Less People

America and the hard working American taxpayer are going down the drain supporting folks who get paid to do nothing.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

The carbon mumbo jumbo is just to justify giving away the funds. The carbon is locked up in timber and the only way to release is is to burn it. Pine used either for paper or lumber retains its carbon so the carbon is stored for many years. This is already a fact and nothing new.