Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: House dog

Default House dog

Promised my daughter a puppy. I will end up taking care of it. Suggestions on what to get. Small dog. No shedding.

If we didn’t currently have a lab, beagle and a border collie in the house i would have a miniture Aussie Doodle. Had the chance to adopt one from a friend of a friend a month or so back and kick myself for not getting it.

Hopefully I won't get my Man card pulled, but...

Years ago, my wife showed up with a Shi Poo puppy. (Shih tzu/Poodle) I was not thrilled, but I have to admit it was one of the coolest little dogs I've been around. Helluva personality, smart, cute, high energy but not obnoxious, no shedding, only weighed 7 lbs. so did not screw up stuff and easy travel. (We were and are on the road alot) The only maintenance was regular vet checkups and grooming. The only issues she had was some sort of skin allergy late in her life (itching) which Benadryl took care of. She lived to be 16. IF we were going to get another dog I would look at a Shi poo.
    Last edited by We Jeep Inn; 04-18-2024 at 08:56 PM.

My kids have a cavachon. Small, sweet, smart, and doesn’t shed.
    Carolina Counsel

Don’t knock it till you try it. Go with a mini golden doodle. I know a dozen people including our family that bought pups from the same breeder and every single one of these dogs are so laid back, don’t bark much super easy to train. I still don’t like her but my kids do

IMG_2589.jpg
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by TheVisorGuy View Post
    Don’t knock it till you try it. Go with a mini golden doodle. I know a dozen people including our family that bought pups from the same breeder and every single one of these dogs are so laid back, don’t bark much super easy to train. I still don’t like her but my kids do

IMG_2589.jpg
    I’ll just go ahead and say you’re feminine and wrong. Great suggestion though. I heard someone say that was the most aggressive breed known to man…

OP. Go get a dog that is known for its good nature. We ended up with a golden that works and comes home to kids pulling on his tail. I’ve been around those mini doodles with my kids and I’m not sure which one liked the other more. They get my vote for a house dog.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Boykin

I've seen some pretty chill doodles but don't own one. One is full size and the other is a mini, I'd get the mini.
    Low country redneck who moved north

My daughter has a Cavapoo, he’s been the easiest puppy I’ve ever had to deal with. Rings a bell when he wants to go take dump.

We have a miniature schnauzer and she is pretty laid back and only barks if someone comes to the door or if she sees a squirrel in the backyard. She plays hard with the cats, but can chill on the couch or lay in her crate all day and never hear a peep out of her. She hair isn't cut like the typical schnauzer, looks like a white teddy bear. Her registered name is Sophia Petrillo...from the Golden Girls for those that aren't old enough to recognize the name.IMG_8097.jpg
    Last edited by mrtroy4man; 04-19-2024 at 08:09 AM.
    every expert was once a beginner

If it’s a house dog and nothing else I’d vote for a doodle also. Not the full size bc they get pretty big. But the no shedding would be nice to have. Especially after filling up a vacuum with lab hair once a week right now.
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

Get one that can do it all. "My daughters" poodle. High maintenance little bitch but she loves me.

IMG_7924.jpg

IMG_8209.jpg
    Last edited by Mars Bluff; 04-19-2024 at 11:37 AM.

We've had a couple of small poodles. They're clean, smart and they don't shed. I've never seen one that was overly needy. Little poodles and big poodles have different personalty traits. My daughter's standard poodle is a PIA.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Dan Davis was the only person I knew that hunted with a poodle.

For shedding you will need something crossed with a poodle or a full blooded one.

I love this dog but he sheds more than any dog I've ever seen. He lives outside and sleeps in the garage.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

The non-shedding breeds are great for inside but they have to be cut/groomed. I get hit with $80 every 4-6 weeks for grooming. And finding a groomer to get in will be a BIG challenge.

Tell me more about the cavapoo. I'm leaning in that direction. Saw one the other day while picking up daughter from school.

We have had 3 springer spaniels and all have been great outdoors, on the couch, traveling, etc. They all let me cut their hair/groom, and its not hard at all to do. Invest in a good set of clippers and start them young.
    Gulf

shihtzu / poodle mix. No shedding, laid back and a "house dog." Shi-poo

Lord have mercy...