Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Speeding Ticket

Default Speeding Ticket

I got pulled with my wife and kids in the car last Thursday outside of Rutherfordton ... It's a speed trap town that I always slow down for when I get inside the city limits, they got me about 4 miles outside of town where traffic usually flows pretty quick way before it drops down to 25mph. We were driving to Atlanta, got pulled over at midnight, highway 221 with no one in my lane or in the opposing lane for probably a mile, trooper sitting at the bottom of the hill. I honestly thought it was a 55mph zone, no schools or business around, apparently it was 45 and I was clocked at 64.

I got a speeding ticket about 8 years ago, other than that I probably haven't had one since 2010ish, no wrecks either. I've already started receiving letters from attorneys who will 'represent me'.

For people in the know or have gone through this recently, what's the best way to get this taken care of? Hire one of the attorneys to get it dropped down and hopefully no points, or show up to court in person and sit in front of the judge? I'd prefer not to show up in court to save myself burning an entire work day ... and also to NOT give myself the opportunity to let the judge know what I think about speed traps and the people who prop up that bullshit.
    Last edited by huntinghagen#12; 04-17-2024 at 01:12 PM.

I'd go to court pay the fine they should drop the point those little towns just want the $$$. Slow down coming through Chesnee too. They are doing some kind for check points for the next month or so according to the FB page.

Quote Originally Posted by CAJUN LAB View Post
    I'd go to court pay the fine they should drop the point those little towns just want the $$$. Slow down coming through Chesnee too. They are doing some kind for check points for the next month or so according to the FB page.
    My Mom is on Blalock, you can see 221 from her dock ... I never speed from the state line to Deb's Mini Mart, especially anywhere close to downtown. More bull shit over there, I think it's 35mph before you get to the high school heading towards downtown), and it's 4 lanes. They're just asking people to get a ticket there.

I got a ticket for 53 in a 35. Went to court and the cop dropped it to a non moving violation. It cost me an extra 50 bucks and a half day of work but no points on my license.

I'd PM Palmetto Trooper and ask his advice.
    Even though he is a SC trooper, he can probably give you the best advice
    for proceeding or may be one of the SCDucks attorneys will chime in.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    I got a ticket for 53 in a 35. Went to court and the cop dropped it to a non moving violation. It cost me an extra 50 bucks and a half day of work but no points on my license.
    This is very popular also, see if the cop will change it to "improper equipment"
    This was used on my last two citations

If you have a good record with no tickets in the previous 2 years you may work it out with the DA as a "Prayer For Judgement" i think its called or you can use one of the attorneys in the mail to do the same. No points pay cost of court and go, just don't get another ticket anytime soon. The attorney keeps you from having to appear at the initial hearing or with DA which is convenient.

Thought it was the speed, not the points that affects your insurance.

I would call the clerks office and inquire about your options.
    They got me years ago near Atlanta where some little city limit overlapped the interstate.

They let me pay a reduced amount and I lost 2 points for speeding under 10mph. The original charge was for 18 over.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 04-17-2024 at 02:51 PM.

From my experience in NC you DO NOT want to go to court. I sat in court all day with rapist, murderers, abusers etc. This was for a speeding ticket. After listening to all the hired lawyers negotiate speeding tickets down (for people not in court) to improper equipment with a slightly higher fine and no points I found the DA prior to lunch and asked him if I could plead the improper equipment when I was called. He agreed and that's what I did. If I were you I would hire one of those lawyers you're getting multiple post cards from. Pay them their $100 fee plus the improper equipment fine and roll on. This was 6-7 years ago, but I imagine the process is the same. Call me if you want more info.
    Last edited by Luvin' Labs; 04-17-2024 at 03:35 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    Thought it was the speed, not the points that affects your insurance.
    Points are what affects your insurance. If no points are gone then the dmv and insurance don't know what you've done.

North Carolina makes it easy. Pick an attorney, pay them and dont worry about it. I’ve had to do it four or five times over the years. Never affected my driving record.

I got one in NC last summer and paid it quickly. But, within a week I was receiving mail from attorneys to represent me. I guess they just troll the public records.

Quote Originally Posted by Luvin' Labs View Post
    From my experience in NC you DO NOT want to go to court. I sat in court all day with rapist, murderers, abusers etc. This was for a speeding ticket. After listening to all the hired lawyers negotiate speeding tickets down (for people not in court) to improper equipment with a slightly higher fine and no points I found the DA prior to lunch and asked him if I could plead the improper equipment when I was called. He agreed and that's what I did. If I were you I would hire one of those lawyers you're getting multiple post cards from. Pay them their $100 fee plus the improper equipment fine and roll on. This was 6-7 years ago, but I imagine the process is the same. Call me if you want more info.
    Spot on

Paul, that is not correct. For insurance purposes, any minor moving violation stays on your record for three years regardless of the points assigned for the violation. This is copied and pasted from the SCDMV website-
    "If you earn points on your record, they're reduced by half after one year from the violation date on the ticket. For example, if you received four points on your record in June, the points would be reduced to two points in June of the next year."

So, using a minor moving violation like speeding 10+ over the speed limit (4 points), one year later the points are reduced to 2 points but the minor moving violation is still charged the same by the insurance carriers regardless of the points.

Whether it's a 2-point violation (speeding -10) or a 4-point moving violation (speeding 10+), they are both minor moving violations and the insurance carrier(s) charges the same surcharge since they are both minor moving violations.

I have been pulled in rutherforton by a trooper. Luckily I knew a lawyer in town, unfortunately hes retired. Hire a lawyer and have him deal with it all. Worth it. I thought I could go to court and plead my case etc. My lawyer (friend) quickly told me I would have been f'd. Its worth it.

I will also add call a lawyer. It’s been a very long time but I got invited to a fly fishing trip in Boone and one of the attendees got a speeding ticket on the way up there. He opted out of the day trip and visited a lawyer. It was taken care of by noon. He did it because he was a pharmaceutical rep and could have gotten in big trouble over the driving record if I recall correctly.

I’d pay the fine and move on with life.

As much as I hate to say it I’d get the attorney.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If during business hours, I drive straight to whatever District Attorney's office and deal with the nice people working therein. From Hatteras to Murphy. The only time I got fucked was when I went the court route in Silva...