Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Glenn, I'm just doing my part...

Default Glenn, I'm just doing my part...

Opening weekend of the season I got to alleviate the itch I've had since the last day of the season last spring. Bird was on fire starting at 650 so I set up about 100 yards from him down a 4wheeler trail. Wasn't worried about the distance bc I had a thick stand of young pines between us. My Lord he had the UGLIEST gobble I've ever heard. After 5ish minutes of him losing his mind gobbling at himself every breath I did some soft calling to which he cut me off, double gobbling. At this point the sound coming out of this bird was so ugly that I'd have lost everything betting it was a jake. He hit the ground gobbling at 7 and started making his way to me. Every soft yelp he'd cut me off. When I went quiet once he hit about 75 yds he started gobbling every 2 or 3 steps. At this point I'm so sure he was a jake I left the gun on my knee. I finally saw him walking along the edge of the young pines from right to left through the gaps of the trees. He rounded the corner of the 4 wheeler trail, gobbled, dropped into strut, spit, drummed then gobbled again. At this point I knew I had made a small error, I could clearly see a full fan and a pretty good beard. Luckily I was hidden well and was able to get my gun up when he turned. By now he's at 22 steps and I let fly. I dropped it a little lower than usual shooting a new gun. I knew it patterned very well at 40 but didn't want to miss him close with too tight of a pattern. Shot did it's job and he was dead at 712. I felt the adrenaline, all the emotion of happiness and then almost a little sadness that it hadn't lasted longer. I can only think of a couple other hunts where a turkey did everything they're supposed to with such gusto and quantity. I didn't smoke a cigar or sit and pet him but I did break out the bible to read a few passages that I asked some great men to send their favorite ones. It was a great Palm Sunday in the best church there is. Then caught a couple brimps for good measure

For the gear nerds, Killed him with SBE3 28ga with Rogue TSS 9.5s and Jebs XFull choke(no red dot on this one). No decoys and just a Spring allure trumpet call.

To top it off my little girl is at an age where she can show interest and was so stoked to see Daddy's "tuh-tee"

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by youngun15; 04-16-2024 at 10:18 PM.
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Good stuff!

great story
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

that'll do.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Yep
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Yes sir, everything that is Turkey hunting right there

yes sir
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Congrats there Bubba.

Pretty lil gal yall are raising.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

Good stuff and great pictures as always

Solid!

Nice

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Good stuff sir

Good story and good hunt. Reminded me a bit of the time I was on a bird and convinced myself that the gobble was so ridiculous sounding that it had to be a trespasser. I jumped up and went charging toward that trespasser before he could get away, only to run into a big ole longbeard looking at me like I was crazy.
    Carolina Counsel

Great post, on all fronts.

Great Stuff. Where can a man get a Bottomland Bible at?
    HAMMER DOWN

Nice coloring on the head of that bird. Cool story.

Perfect!
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Love those pics! And the colors on that bird… Wow!

Yes sir
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan

I like it all!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter