Thread: Turkey gonna turkey

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Turkey gonna turkey

Got home from work today and 4:40 I get a picture from my camera a Tom is just out doing his thing. Figured I could sneak out there. I make it out to the blind I have set up to take my kids which is about 275 yards from where the turkey is and luckily he is still there doing his thing. I sit down and not 5 seconds goes by and a hen walks right in front of the blind within 3 feet. So I wait. I can see him working the field edge towards me so I just sit. Soon he disappears into the tall grass and I figured he was still just walking around the edge following that hens path. Well he did not. He pops back up in the grass at around 300 yards and was strutting. So I decided to try and army crawl. Grass is tall enough to just hide in and I get within 80 yards of him and he crest a hill so I waited just another minute and got up and made my way to the wood line and when I went to get back down and crawl to close the gap to the hill he just walked over wellllll he was about 60 yards away looking right at me so I let one fly and missed. Once I let one go he jumps in the air and I chased after it. Got within 30 yards of him when I stop to try and shot it again and it disappeared into the woods. Moral of the story if I had just stayed down and gotten to the hill instead of going to the wood line and standing up would have been a better chance….. Good times tho and got to watch the bird strut for a minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965