Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey gonna turkey

Was in tall grass and ran through tall grass. If the bird was wounded some blood would have gotten on the grass. Spent 45 minutes looking. Not a drop.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Y'all care more about a stupid bird than you do the important things in life. If y'all care so much about doing everything the "right way", I'm assuming you never have a quickie with your old lady and always precede sex with a massage and at least 30 minutes of foreplay, because you know, that's the only proper way to do it if you respect your lady. I hope that analogy helps y'all understand how absurd y'all sound.

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    To be honest have never given it much of a thought. Every property around me uses them and almost every person I know that hunt uses them. Only people I know that do not use them don’t have a club or land to place them on.
    Roger.

Without that camera you wouldn’t have hunted, correct?

What about your neighbors? They doing the same thing? It’d be pretty hard to get whipped by a turkey in the morning, go home, later on your phone dings with him on camera, and not go back out there and chase him again.

I guess it goes back to a persons definition of hunting. I mean if you’re in it for the turkey meat to put food on the table, then by all means more power to you, go out and put more cameras up, it’s within the law.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    camera
    pup tent
    crawl
    crawl
    crawl
    60 yards
    chase
    second hail mary shot
    The moral of the story as I see it.......So many people don't get what turkey hunting is all about.
    It's certainly not the kill, that is secondary to the hunt itself and the Tom Foolery.
    I've never shot one that I didn't want to stand him back up and watch him do it again, and again, and again.

I'm calling BS on you and any other turkey poet that would say this. If it was all about the "chase", very few turkeys would need to be killed each year. Y'all could chase all you wanted and the only need to kill one would be population control. Y'all like pulling that trigger just as much as the next guy.

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s a a tool to give an advantage. I don’t see where it’s that different than anything else the turkey world sells. Chokes, red dots, tss, and whatever else there is.
    I’m pretty sure every single one of the people posting in this thread has done some dumb shit when it comes to trying to kill one. I know I have.
    I'm not going to pile on the OP, but why do you equate a cell trail cam with "chokes, red dots, tss"? Seriously asking. To me, all the choke, red dot, and tss do is help me make a good, clean, ethical shot when I get the bird under 40 yards. The cell cam . . . not so much.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    camera
    pup tent
    crawl
    crawl
    crawl
    60 yards
    chase
    second hail mary shot
    The moral of the story as I see it.......So many people don't get what turkey hunting is all about.
    It's certainly not the kill, that is secondary to the hunt itself and the Tom Foolery.
    I've never shot one that I didn't want to stand him back up and watch him do it again, and again, and again.

You just typed one big long opinion of yours
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Oh VG, deep down you’re the same way with deer.

You enjoy the chase. The cameras, the stands, tracking weather and wind, the managing property, the teaching your kids, etc, etc.

I mean for deer anyone can go put out a bag of corn in the woods and go kill one over it? But you enjoy the hunt, the chase, and the work am I right?

Reading the original post I thought it was satire after all the other threads. Figured it might be real when there was no reference to a strutter decoy

The cell cam and the blind is the legal leisurely version of shooting out the truck window........

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post
    Oh VG, deep down you’re the same way with deer.

You enjoy the chase. The cameras, the stands, tracking weather and wind, the managing property, the teaching your kids, etc, etc.

I mean for deer anyone can go put out a bag of corn in the woods and go kill one over it? But you enjoy the hunt, the chase, and the work am I right?

I do but I also enjoy killing them knee deep in corn. I’m going to use every legal means I can
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    how do you know you "missed clean"?
    Yea, just because you weren't able to find any blood in the tall grass, that hardly seems conclusive to me. You may not have hit the bird but I'd assume the odds are good that at least one pellet hit him when take into consideration the size of your shot pattern at "about 60 yards". Also if the blind is for your father in law and your wife and kids, why did you choose to go there first when you were by yourself and believed the bird to be 275 yards away?
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

What he did was legal. If you don't like his actions being legal, work to change the laws. After the first sentence i knew he was getting a thrashing from the purists.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    What he did was legal. If you don't like his actions being legal, work to change the laws. After the first sentence i knew he was getting a thrashing from the purists.
    We are working/trying.

Call it purist or whatever you want.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    We keep referring to what's "legal". The only reason anything becomes illegal is because people start doing things they should know better than to do. If people were decent and generally did what was right there would be very few laws. Just because it's legal doesn't mean its right, it just means it hasn't been regulated.......yet. ie who knew there needed to be laws against carolina squat.
    Last edited by BRR; 04-16-2024 at 08:38 AM.

I'm all for "if it's legal" in 99% of the cases, but seriously, you are missing the entire point of what hunting a turkey should be.

To add to it, if you were shooting 60 yards, you must have been shooting TSS, #9s will not leave blood, heck they barely do it when my kids center punch one at 20. That bird is dead somewhere.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I'm all for "if it's legal" in 99% of the cases, but seriously, you are missing the entire point of what hunting a turkey should be.

To add to it, if you were shooting 60 yards, you must have been shooting TSS, #9s will not leave blood, heck they barely do it when my kids center punch one at 20. That bird is dead somewhere.
    The Real Deal
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    We are working/trying.

Call it purist or whatever you want.
    The problem most of us have with the purist mindset is that it is selective. Do you work hard and do things the "right way" in every facet of life? Do you never use shortcuts or take the easy way out?

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    The problem most of us have with the purist mindset is that it is selective. Do you work hard and do things the "right way" in every facet of life? Do you never use shortcuts or take the easy way out?
    perspective, but you are comparing apples to donuts
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    I'm not going to pile on the OP, but why do you equate a cell trail cam with "chokes, red dots, tss"? Seriously asking. To me, all the choke, red dot, and tss do is help me make a good, clean, ethical shot when I get the bird under 40 yards. The cell cam . . . not so much.
    All I’m saying is the OP is using a a camera to his advantage. The red dot, tss/choke combo you shoot gives you what you think is an advantage of a clean kill, when in reality you don’t need any of it for a clean kill under 40 yards. The OP used his camera as a scouting tool. I don’t see anything wrong with that either
    Last edited by jevans; 04-16-2024 at 10:00 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    So when you use the advantages, you justify it by saying it helps with a clean kill? Got it.