Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey gonna turkey

Quote Originally Posted by GBelly View Post
    perspective, but you are comparing apples to donuts
    Somewhat apples to donuts, but not in the sense that you mean. I'd argue that if you are such a purist in turkey hunting, you best be a super purist in the things that actually matter (faith, marriage, parenting, work, etc.). If not, then it's all the more sad.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    I'm all for "if it's legal" in 99% of the cases, but seriously, you are missing the entire point of what hunting a turkey should be.

To add to it, if you were shooting 60 yards, you must have been shooting TSS, #9s will not leave blood, heck they barely do it when my kids center punch one at 20. That bird is dead somewhere.
    TSS 9s leave plenty of blood

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    So when you use the advantages, you justify it by saying it helps with a clean kill? Got it.
    Correct. I'm glad you got it, which suggests that I laid it out clearly for you, which is what I do for a living. What else would a choke, red dot, and TSS be used for other than a clean kill?
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by duckchoppin View Post
    TSS 9s leave plenty of blood
    a #9 TTS at 60 yards is not going to leave a blood trail!
    That's laughable....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Same people crying about realdeal's legal hunt are the same ones crying about start dates and 1 bird limit. You either want to help save wild turkey or you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by Carolina Counsel View Post
    Correct. I'm glad you got it, which suggests that I laid it out clearly for you, which is what I do for a living. What else would a choke, red dot, and TSS be used for other than a clean kill?
    You missed my point. You use modern advantages to get a clean kill, just like he used them for scouting. What's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    The problem most of us have with the purist mindset is that it is selective. Do you work hard and do things the "right way" in every facet of life? Do you never use shortcuts or take the easy way out?
    I'm human and no where near perfect, but yes I work extremely hard and try to do things "the right way, in every facet of life-business, marriage, raising kids, day to day". Shortcuts, cheating, taking the easy way out is not how I was raised and not how I'll raise my kids to accomplish whatever they want. I may have been young and dumb for a period of my life, but I'm at least not young anymore. Grown men should do better in such instances. That's just my opinion, and no one has to like it. It's not personal, but it is what I believe and turkey hunting and preserving the resource is a passion of mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    a #9 TTS at 60 yards is not going to leave a blood trail!
    That's laughable....
    He didn't say blood trail and he said TSS 9s won't leave blood. I've never seen any type of shot leave a "blood trail" that you could follow. I been shooting TSS going on 15 years. Saying it won't leave blood is actually what's laughable.

Yall bastards better start killing them with a spear wearing a loin cloth.
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

When I read the original post I assumed this was some ECU sports forum stunt.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by PharmHunter View Post
    Shortcuts, cheating, taking the easy way out is not how I was raised
    this can be very subjective when it comes to hunting and fishing.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    this can be very subjective when it comes to hunting and fishing.
    Truth is, the number of true turkey hunters is diminishing and the turkey shooters are increasing rapidly. If the Turkey shooters win out we need a 1 bird limit and a 2 week season.

Turkeys were doing far better when less than 5% of hunters killed the majority of the turkeys harvested annually..... when talk of "unkillable" turkeys was common and people traded chances at tough birds. Nowadays they all are killed in short order by whatever legal means so you can make it to travel ball on time or whatever other awful thing....
    Last edited by BRR; 04-16-2024 at 10:53 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by jcoker View Post
    You missed my point. You use modern advantages to get a clean kill, just like he used them for scouting. What's the difference?
    If you don't understand the difference, then I can't help you. I guess by "scouting" you mean knowing in real time that your quarry is present and then chasing it. I don't consider that "scouting."
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Truth is, the number of true turkey hunters is diminishing and the turkey shooters is increasing rapidly. If the Turkey shooters win out we need a 1 bird limit and a 2 week season.

Turkeys were doing far better when less than 5% of hunters killed most of the turkeys.....
    That's a fact. Most people suck at turkey hunting, more than ever, turkey shooting however is as easy as it's ever been.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

I guess by "scouting" you mean knowing in real time that your quarry is present and then chasing it. I don't consider that "scouting."
    FACT!

If you don't understand the difference, then I can't help you. I guess by "scouting" you mean knowing in real time that your quarry is present and then chasing it. I don't consider that "scouting."
    no need to try to be condescending. if you don't understand the concept then I can't explain it to you. Corn piles, archery, fly rods, etc. everyone has different levels of how they want to do things. for example, I'm not interested in release birds for ducks or high fence but I'm not opposed to using corn for deer. others may feel differently. high correlation between the "landed gentry" with lots of access and opportunity to turkey purism.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    Somewhat apples to donuts, but not in the sense that you mean. I'd argue that if you are such a purist in turkey hunting, you best be a super purist in the things that actually matter (faith, marriage, parenting, work, etc.). If not, then it's all the more sad.
    I dont need your labels and I am not interested in your order of importance of life

Its a simple concept that I can promise you I understand and dont take lightly
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

turkey hunting is supposed be hard
    you cant win more than the turkey does
    embrace the failures and learn from them
    the bird deserves more respect that what it seems to be getting these days
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

You hunting with a bow and arrow and only using natural camo?

dude. while I don't disagree. that is your opinion. who gets to decide what constitutes the correct level of respect a turkey gets? or any other animal for that matter. some guys feel that way about shooting a deer in SC w a rifle. Does the the deer deserve more respect than that?