Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Turkey gonna turkey

Default Turkey gonna turkey

Got home from work today and 4:40 I get a picture from my camera a Tom is just out doing his thing. Figured I could sneak out there. I make it out to the blind I have set up to take my kids which is about 275 yards from where the turkey is and luckily he is still there doing his thing. I sit down and not 5 seconds goes by and a hen walks right in front of the blind within 3 feet. So I wait. I can see him working the field edge towards me so I just sit. Soon he disappears into the tall grass and I figured he was still just walking around the edge following that hens path. Well he did not. He pops back up in the grass at around 300 yards and was strutting. So I decided to try and army crawl. Grass is tall enough to just hide in and I get within 80 yards of him and he crest a hill so I waited just another minute and got up and made my way to the wood line and when I went to get back down and crawl to close the gap to the hill he just walked over wellllll he was about 60 yards away looking right at me so I let one fly and missed. Once I let one go he jumps in the air and I chased after it. Got within 30 yards of him when I stop to try and shot it again and it disappeared into the woods. Moral of the story if I had just stayed down and gotten to the hill instead of going to the wood line and standing up would have been a better chance….. Good times tho and got to watch the bird strut for a minute.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

This post is textbook everything wrong with turkey hunting today.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I stopped reading your post after you saw a turkey on your game cam and decided to hunt it.

I don’t know why this isn’t illegal.

Heaven help us, the fact that you aren't ashamed of multiple factors in this story is saddening and tells the turkeys are screwed. What kind of grown man shoots turkeys from a blind number one. Two when the turkey won you risked crippling him, and three even he had won you were still in hot pursuit. The whole premise of seeing him on cell cam and trying to go execute him is plain disgusting. Have at any point have ever tried sitting by a tree and tried calling one to proper shotgun range?
    Last edited by BRR; 04-15-2024 at 07:04 PM.

damn
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I’m not sure I would have shared that “encounter”
    "the tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."

So the blind is there for my 62 year old paw in law that’s had 2 hip surgeries and my 2 kids n wife like to go and watch so from time to time we go and sit and watch.
    I do not normally hunt from a blind unless I am with my kids/wife or paw in law.
    The photo provided is the bird I got last year opening afternoon after walking 6 miles on a tract of WMA and called 2 in. If you would like I can provide the map I used to follow my tracts and marks for proof if needed.
    The cell cameras between myself and my neighbors have been very helpful since we have started to communicate about when we should stop hunting with the addition of trapping the last few years the turkey numbers around here have taken off pretty well. I myself have only harvest 1 bird out of this property on the past 4 years due to the number my neighbors around me have taken before I get out here to hunt because I always give my paw in law 2 weeks to hunt before I start out here.
    I chased to make sure the bird wasn’t wounded and could put another round if need be. After getting some water I then went back and spent 45 minutes looking around checking for blood and texted my neighbors to let them know as well. Bird was not harmed.

You are correct the bird did win but the amount of time and effort I have but into the property my butt wasn’t just sitting still and watching him walk off. Lots of things I could have done differently but glad I missed clean.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Quote Originally Posted by Gourmet Gobbler View Post
    I’m not sure I would have shared that “encounter”
    Sites been a little slow just trying to do my part!

Gaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy
    2013 Spring Turkey Champs

Exhibit A
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Fine Job!

Quote Originally Posted by darealdeal View Post
    So the blind is there for my 62 year old paw in law that’s had 2 hip surgeries and my 2 kids n wife like to go and watch so from time to time we go and sit and watch.
    I do not normally hunt from a blind unless I am with my kids/wife or paw in law.
    The photo provided is the bird I got last year opening afternoon after walking 6 miles on a tract of WMA and called 2 in. If you would like I can provide the map I used to follow my tracts and marks for proof if needed.
    The cell cameras between myself and my neighbors have been very helpful since we have started to communicate about when we should stop hunting with the addition of trapping the last few years the turkey numbers around here have taken off pretty well. I myself have only harvest 1 bird out of this property on the past 4 years due to the number my neighbors around me have taken before I get out here to hunt because I always give my paw in law 2 weeks to hunt before I start out here.
    I chased to make sure the bird wasn’t wounded and could put another round if need be. After getting some water I then went back and spent 45 minutes looking around checking for blood and texted my neighbors to let them know as well. Bird was not harmed.

You are correct the bird did win but the amount of time and effort I have but into the property my butt wasn’t just sitting still and watching him walk off. Lots of things I could have done differently but glad I missed clean.
    So what you saying is if a man is is a good father and husband it's OK for him to get cheat every now and again because he's so good and has earned it........OK got it, people will rationalize anything anymore
    Last edited by BRR; 04-16-2024 at 05:53 AM.

Yeah cuz seeing a turkey on a camera and strange is one and the same. Guess I have to turn in my hard card and go back tho my hunters ethics class in which cameras wasn’t covered.
    Last edited by darealdeal; 04-16-2024 at 06:02 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    This post is textbook everything wrong with turkey hunting today.
    That is putting it very nicely.

Honest question and I’m not trying to pile on.

Do you think it’s ethical to see a turkey on camera, get your stuff and go hunt him on a day that you otherwise weren’t going to hunt?

camera
    pup tent
    crawl
    crawl
    crawl
    60 yards
    chase
    second hail mary shot
    The moral of the story as I see it.......So many people don't get what turkey hunting is all about.
    It's certainly not the kill, that is secondary to the hunt itself and the Tom Foolery.
    I've never shot one that I didn't want to stand him back up and watch him do it again, and again, and again.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 04-16-2024 at 06:20 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

Do you think it’s ethical to see a turkey on camera, get your stuff and go hunt him on a day that you otherwise weren’t going to hunt?
    I don’t see anything wrong with it. It’s a a tool to give an advantage. I don’t see where it’s that different than anything else the turkey world sells. Chokes, red dots, tss, and whatever else there is.
    I’m pretty sure every single one of the people posting in this thread has done some dumb shit when it comes to trying to kill one. I know I have.

how do you know you "missed clean"?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    camera
    pup tent
    crawl
    crawl
    crawl
    60 yards
    chase
    second hail mary shot
    The moral of the story as I see it.......So many people don't get what turkey hunting is all about.
    It's certainly not the kill, that is secondary to the hunt itself and the Tom Foolery.
    I've never shot one that I didn't want to stand him back up and watch him do it again, and again, and again.
    There was not second shot. Bird was not wounded and could not get a clear second attempt.

Quote Originally Posted by FULLCHOKE View Post

To be honest have never given it much of a thought. Every property around me uses them and almost every person I know that hunt uses them. Only people I know that do not use them don’t have a club or land to place them on.