Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Turkey gonna turkey

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    So can I ninja a turkey or not?
    You do you, boo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yeah go ahead. Just be sure to post a pix to make sure it is not a Jake.

Ok. Now that I’ve settled down for the day and have gone back through this thread I am certain of 2 things. BRR has killed less turkeys than I have, and I am also certain that if one makes me mad enough I don’t give a damn how far he is, I am shooting at him.
    I will add, I don’t have a red dot. I’m not into Knick knacks and gun bling. I will also add I don’t shoot TSS. I have killed plenty over decoys, never a strutter though, and I have killed plenty ambush style.
    And to Remy’s point, dead turkey is a dead turkey.

Now, you poet’s and rookies carry on
    Last edited by jevans; 04-16-2024 at 06:34 PM.

You may have to. That bird we left on Friday might be a little call shy now.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    You may have to. That bird we left on Friday might be a little call shy now.
    May have to take claim to that “owe you a bird” thing. Ha.

May have to take claim to that “owe you a bird” thing. Ha.
    I'm sure I could scrounge one up.

Quote Originally Posted by Remy View Post
    You do realize killing a turkey the "pure way" and killing one with a rifle from 400 yards still results in the same ending right? One less turkey on earth however it is killed. I'd argue the purist do more damage to the population from their "fever" and having to kill their 3 birds and then call in birds for all their family and friends. Then go to multiple states and kill their birds.

I hope all the purist never call a bird in for their kid or friend, because that would obviously be cheating if they can't do it themself (the right way of course).
    I'm leaning heavily in this direction and I have 3 kids of my own that are just now getting to the age of shooting. If a family of 4 hunters kill 12 turkeys, then how is that any different than 1 guy killing the same? I'm starting to see now that 2 birds are going to be too many for a lot of folks.
    Last edited by joshua2; 04-16-2024 at 06:52 PM.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by jevans View Post
    Ok. Now that I’ve settled down for the day and have gone back through this thread I am certain of 2 things. BRR has killed less turkeys than I have, and I am also certain that if one makes me mad enough I don’t give a damn how far he is, I am shooting at him.
    I will add, I don’t have a red dot. I’m not into Knick knacks and gun bling. I will also add I don’t shoot TSS. I have killed plenty over decoys, never a strutter though, and I have killed plenty ambush style.
    And to Remy’s point, dead turkey is a dead turkey.

Now, you poet’s and rookies carry on
    Well at least I've got one person fooled.....and found a fool if you'll shoot at them no matter what
    Last edited by BRR; 04-16-2024 at 07:17 PM.

Well, I had an opportunity to shoot one out of my buddy's tiny house window up in Fairfield County yesterday. I opted to not shoot the bird, because that would be bullshit. His place has a bunch of birds that are notoriously pains in the ass. I've seen one of the best turkey hunters on the planet leave after two days cursing those birds and heading somewhere where he "had a legit chance." They kicked my ass yesterday and today. The birds are call shy and only gobble to let you know they left your ass high and dry, and the terrain is a maddening bitch to navigate...I've had easier hikes in the Laramies. I've wanted to kill one on that tract for over twenty years. I'm now 0 for >20. While I was packing up to come back home and hunt some normal birds here around Camden, I told my bud that I'd shoot that turkey from my car driving out if I saw him...and I kind of meant it.

So I get it. If you have birds on your land and you have little time to go after them properly, I can see going after a field bird after seeing him on the cell cam...not much different than seeing him from the road driving by and deciding to go after him. I'm not too proud to do the Rambo crawl on a gobbler if that is what it will take to get him dead...have done it a few times. I'm even good with shooting him at 60 yards...as long as you know you have the load and pattern and ability to put a lot of pellets in his noggin from that far.

Only thing I really see wrong is that he clearly shot at a bird outside the range of what he knows the gun will do, and he clearly injured the bird...because you are not going to close from 60 yards to 30 on a turkey that is alert, has been shot at and missed, and is actively trying to skidattle. I haven't read all the responses, because I hate seeing a pile-on party...but I hope the OP has returned to where the turkey hit the woods and has looked for the bird thoroughly.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    Well at least I've got one person fooled.....and found a fool if you'll shoot at them no matter what
    Ok little homie. If you say so. Go turkey poet somewhere else and brag about killing one with your fancy 410

Ok little homie. If you say so. Go turkey poet somewhere else and brag about killing one with your fancy 410
    Awe man you mean we can't even be turkey poets in the gobblers roost anymore. You should team up with labhumper
    Last edited by BRR; 04-16-2024 at 07:46 PM.

Awe man you mean we can't even be turkey poets in the gobblers roost anymore
    Is this post in the gobblers roost? If it is then I’m wrong. I’ll openly apologize to you

Is this post in the gobblers roost? If it is then I’m wrong. I’ll openly apologize to you
    Yes it is the gobblers roost, I thought we were in our safe space......

I had a turkey on my cell cam and hunted him 24 hrs after the picture was taken and didn’t kill him, but a different bird died. First turkey picture on that camera in a month. I would not go kill a bird in front of a game camera the very moment it was taken. I will say it swayed my two choices. I didn’t pull the trigger, but that doesn’t matter. What does matter is me making the decision that bird ended my 2024 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes it is the gobblers roost, I thought we were in our safe space......
    You are. My bad man! I need to pay closer attention

Here's one bleeding fairly bad with his head upright. I think I even see the start of a blood trail...

Sent from my SM-S906U using Tapatalk

absolutely
    and expect repurcussions
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Think he lives…. and has friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

how do you people identify a specific turkey? or, heaven forbid, name it? Are there some characteristics I'm not seeing that would help?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    how do you people identify a specific turkey? or, heaven forbid, name it? Are there some characteristics I'm not seeing that would help?
    Notice the first word he typed was “think” and not “know”. Slow down and stop trying to jump to a conclusion.

As far as how do you name them, it’s simple. Google suggests Geoffrey, Duncan, Preston, and Donovan. Dildo has worked well for others
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid