Thread: First Elk Hunt

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default First Elk Hunt

I am beyond excited to go on my first elk hunt early September of this year. We will be hunting in New Mexico and hunting a private ranch. I have been bowhunting for about 35 years, so I am not new to Archery but I am new to elk hunting. I have been shooting expandable broadheads for the last 10 years or so and would like to continue with them on this elk hunt. Over the last 10 years I have shot Grim Reaper, which I am not a fan of G5 expendables since then. I shot the mega meat Broadhead for many years with great success and had recently switched over to the mega meat in the last couple of years. From most of the research I have done online and from YouTube all the recommendations point to dropping back to a one and a half inch cutting diameter expandable. The two Broadhead that I have narrowed it down to are the sevr 1.5 the G5 dead meat. I am currently shooting at Matthew’s lift with the poundage around 65 to 67 pounds. So from that standpoint, I think I have plenty of energy to stick with an expandable broadhead. I am comfortable shooting out to 50 yards, but no further.
    I would appreciate any information and advice from the brain trust who has hunted elk with a bow and has experience.
    Last edited by BugBuster; 04-12-2024 at 09:08 AM.
    "You are Citadel Men, you have no pension for failure, you wear the Ring, you never let a friend down, you will be good fathers, husbands, and leaders in the armed forces and industry, you are strong in heart, body, and mind. You protect such things as Honor and Fidelity. Your virtues matter not only in wealth, but in the richness of family, you are the last of the knights."
    - late President Ronald Reagan