Thread: Privet

Default Privet

Over the last few years, I've had a privet explosion at my farm. When it first showed up, I didn't realize what it was. Well now I do and it's becoming a big problem. I've talked with several people in the forestry business that have given me some direction on dealing with it but wanted to check with the brain trust and see if any of ya'll have dealt with it. If so, what has been successful and what has not.

If you can get the area to where it can be mowed you can stop it in its tracks.

After it gets big/established, mulcher and then a dose of gly with the sprayer.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I HATE PRIVET! It is pretty hard to kill because it seeds and spreads like wildfire. My favorite way to kill bigger bushes is to rip them up with the grapple and throw them on a burn pile.

Glypho and 2-4-D have some effect but it hasn't been nearly what I hope for. Triclopyr has some effect too but nothing works like I wish it would.

Please report back if you figure out the magic for getting rid of it.

Sent from my SM-S926U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Palmetto Bug; Today at 07:03 PM.

I had a ton of it around my place, used a mini x to pull it up and a few gallons of diesel to send it back to hell.

I think it's high in protein and a pretty good deer food.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

I have a couple small stands of it. Stays on the edge of woods. Hasn't spread in the 5 yrs I've been here. My only small morel patch is under privet. Not saying it can't be invasive I just haven't seen it here....I guess the mower and bush hog have kept it from spreading.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I think it's high in protein and a pretty good deer food.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Good cover too.

Garlon is your friend.
    If you spray it in the winter it will pretty much be the only thing with leaves and is a very effective control for CP at that time.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Good cover too.
    Until it isn’t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love privet. The thicker the better. Especially really old privet where the overhead cover is so thick that you feel like you’re hunting underground.

.gov waged war on it this past winter in a lot of places. It seemed very labor intensive. Good luck.