Thread: Water Heater Pressure Release Valve

Default Water Heater Pressure Release Valve

So, the things I know...There was water around the catch pan under my gas water heater,

Things I think...I think the water was coming from the downpipe that's attached to the pressure release value (PRV)

Things I decided...I decided it was just too easy to replace the PRV so I cut the water, drained the tank down a bit, and removed the PRV then went to Lowes with the old PRV in my hand...

Everything was a piece of cake including draining the tank and removing the old PRV but when I got to Lowes, they didn't have an obvious direct replacement. The "universal" PRV threads, pressure and temperature limits were all the same. But, the little ceramic (or whatever) stick was shorter in the new ones than the old one and the closest physically stands off a little more than the old one. But, I did the swap anyway. Everything seems to be buttoned up and not leaking. The tank is working and all seems well.

The Question: am I okay or is this happiness just temporary until the thing breaks good and shoots water across the garage while I'm gone?

Here's a picture of the old one and the replacement.

Let me know if you think I'm okay or not. Certainly let me know even more vigorously if you actually know whether I'm okay or not.

Thanks for any thoughts.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Rubberhead*; Yesterday at 06:36 PM. Reason: fix typo
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Oh yeah, I forgot to mention that the household water pressure was 60 psi and the tank has the expansion tank thing on it so I don't think it's a water pressure problem even though "they" just changed my water meter about a week ago...

Check temp of water heater, could be on the high side.

T&P (temperature and pressure) if you have a thermostat that is stuck "on", it will make the valve "weep". Or, it could just be bad. The one you have is fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Bownut View Post
    Or, it could just be bad. The one you have is fine.
    That's what I needed to hear. Thanks.

Pipe it to the outside of the house if you have any concerns about it going off in the garage
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Should be just fine

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You've already got the good news on the PRV being fine. What you may want to add to your list for the near future is to check on the expansion tank. If it's been there over 5 years or so check the air pressure in it. If the tank is going bad (losing air via leakage in the membrane) there's nowhere for the extra pressure to go except to trip the PRV.

When I installed new piping, new pressure regulator, and a new expansion tank with the replacement water heater last time I added a pressure gauge between the pressure regulator and the expansion tank, along with changing the CPVC lines to copper. Now a quick glance at that pressure gauge tells me if all is well with the expansion tank or the water heater or if I need to check on something.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

I would just watch for a week or so and see if anything else occurs. Woodie is correct. Multiple things could cause this

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk