Page 3 of 15 FirstFirst 1234513 ... LastLast

Thread: H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

Well of course that's not the only issue, but it's a primary contributing factor.

Habitat degradation/minimization/fragmentation/elimination and commercial timber management are probably the major causes. Expansion of urban areas unnaturally inflates corvid and raptor populations. Instagram as a replacement for market hunting driving the glorification of a tailgate photo. All those hurt turkey populations. Bottomline, the more people you have doing those things, the more impacts you will see to the turkeys.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Like the mob that only shows up here to be seen only when turkey season rolls around or some other mob?
    Well it is turkey season I like to read about turkeys. If I post the mob shows up to attack so they can be cool in front of the group. Mob mentality. They’d make great democrats. Like I said those who attack are probably feeling guilty about something

Bill, I'm sure you have killed far more turkeys than me, however that is not a compliment. I've been doing it for a long time and the fact remains that average Nest initiation date is April the 10th and MOST of the breeding takes place the last week of March and the first week of April
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    And MFers not tagging turkeys…..
    Is it me or just coincidental that very few post dead pics of turkeys anymore?

I would like to see check stations again like the old days. If you get caught not checking a bird in you automatically lose your hunting privileges for 5 years and the turkey population will correct itself!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Bill, I'm sure you have killed far more turkeys than me, however that is not a compliment. I've been doing it for a long time and the fact remains that average Nest initiation date is April the 10th and MOST of the breeding takes place the last week of March and the first week of April
    I said it starts in early March. Going off what I see from running cameras during that time

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    Well it is turkey season I like to read about turkeys. If I post the mob shows up to attack so they can be cool in front of the group. Mob mentality. They’d make great democrats. Like I said those who attack are probably feeling guilty about something
    The bottom line is, nobody gives one single fuck what a poachers opinion is on wildlife conservation….
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Is it me or just coincidental that very few post dead pics of turkeys anymore?

I would like to see check stations again like the old days. If you get caught not checking a bird in you automatically lose your hunting privileges for 5 years and the turkey population will correct itself!!
    I don’t post anywhere because what’s the point. Maybe I’ll post my kids now and again.

Couldn’t imagine wanting to hunt with a bunch of cameras and go pros to make YouTube videos.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    The bottom line is, nobody gives one single fuck what a poachers opinion is on wildlife conservation….
    You sure seem to

Cali I don’t know you. I don’t know how old you are, when you started turkey hunting. Never met you never talked to you. No idea how many you’ve killed never crossed my mind.

All I did was say I think April 10 is BS and the mob goes berserk

I think the point is, most down here do not respect your opinion because of the reputation you have built for yourself as a poacher and someone with total disregard for bag limits with turkeys.
    Like you said, you and I don't know one another, but everyone I have ever met that knows you has the same opinion about your past and how many birds you have killed annually.
    For that reason, people mock you and jump on you because of your blatant hypocrisy.
    ETA, you are not the only one who "is part of the problem".....the killing of more birds than the law allows makes you part of the problem, not the solution!
    Last edited by Calibogue; 03-29-2024 at 12:23 PM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I think the point is, most down here do not respect your opinion because of the reputation you have built for yourself as a poacher and someone with total disregard for bag limits with turkeys. Like you said you and I don't know one another, but everyone I have ever met that knows you has the same opinion about your past and how many birds you have killed annually. For that reason, people mock you and jump on you because of your hypocrisy.
    Lots of people on here have some past faults. Some that are very respected some no longer on here.

Have I ever not tagged a bird? Yes I’ll admit it a few times in the past. I received a fine for it. Paid and moved on.

So I’ll admit I have. It’s been a long time. Some of those calling me out have as well I know because they told me.

Like I said above, you're not the only one doing it.
    A few times Bill?
    What's the most you have ever killed in a season?

Quote Originally Posted by M2Field View Post
    You sure seem to
    Nope. Couldn’t care less. Just pointing out the hypocrisy
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Like I said above, you're not the only one doing it.
    A few times Bill?
    What's the most you have ever killed in a season?
    12. 2 where in NC. 4 in Texas

That was 15 years ago

I have a lot land to hunt and would always space out my harvest across the properties. Never killed more than one or two off a single place.
    Last edited by M2Field; 03-29-2024 at 12:40 PM.

I think the point is, most down here do not respect your opinion because of the reputation you have built for yourself as a poacher and someone with total disregard for bag limits with turkeys.
    Like you said, you and I don't know one another, but everyone I have ever met that knows you has the same opinion about your past and how many birds you have killed annually.
    For that reason, people mock you and jump on you because of your blatant hypocrisy.
    ETA, you are not the only one who "is part of the problem".....the killing of more birds than the law allows makes you part of the problem, not the solution!
    If it’s people from this site of course they are going to bash me.

If it’s DS I’ve told him about some past things I’m not happy for in many aspects of life. He’s one of my best friends and has helped me through some tough times. Partially how im 1 year and 16 days sober

If it’s one other particular turkey hunter I’m thinking of, he use to do the same
    Last edited by M2Field; 03-29-2024 at 12:53 PM.

I missed something. What did you get caught doing Bill,?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I missed something. What did you get caught doing Bill,?

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Nothing in a few years. Got one ticket for not tagging a bird a while back.

But apparently I’m the reason the turkey population has decline across the south

Your analogy is horrible since climate change is a natural phenomenon that the earth has experienced before.
    I sat in one spot with my daughter this morning and heard at least that many but, I don't have the turkeys I had two or three decades ago and I expect you're not old enough to have experienced what we had back in the late 90's early 2000's
    Myself and other biologists don't expect that everyone will "understand" the science of wild turkey behavior and the importance of protecting recruitment by allowing them to breed (early nests are proven to be more successful than later nesting) before we start killing them, but hey, you're entitled to your "opinion" PJ but that's all it is.
    It's not just about "you having birds" as you put it since the North American Model of Wildlife Conservation (look it up) entrusts game to all and SCDNR is tasked to manage game for the entire state, not just you or those fortunate enough to have turkeys because their private property is managed to a T.
    Happy Easter buddy.....
    I recently listened to Cuz’s podcast Fist Full of Dirt. It was a 2 part podcast with the head Mississippi biologist Adam Butler. In part 1 Adam discusses season frameworks. I think it’s around the 40 minute mark if you’d like to listen. He talks about on some of their public land they have pushed season dates back to see if it boost the turkey populations any. Their studies showed it had no impact on the population. I say all this to say our biologist in this state have had the results of this study now for around 5 years. They also have full control on the bag limits and season dates for public land in this state. Why have they not already implemented these dates on public land if it’s going to help so much? We could’ve had 5 years of data showing if it works or not.

Also I realize their study says April 10th is peak nesting, but most of the time my 20-25 hen flocks are down to 2-4 by April 1st. This year it was down to 2-4 when the season had started. I was seeing a majority of solo hens before we even started hunting. Which means many of them were bred before the season even started.

Happy Easter buddy……

Never mind I understand now you and DS aren’t quite buddies

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    Good luck getting that cocksucker to understand that……
    How’s the bottle treating you lately. Keep it up