Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: H4820 Turkey Bill, Senate Subcommitte next Thursday.....

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    It's sad..... All the boys in Jane's school think fanning is cool and that is hunting.
    These boys don't respect her as a hunter and she is the real deal!
    They also have no respect for the bird or the game.
    It needs to be banned and I that's about all I need to say about that right now.
    Correct. If was left to me I would ban everything but turkey calls. I would also outlaw shots past 40+ yards. Make turkey hunting a challenge again damnit!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I have asked for the names to be posted and also asked that they be sent to me privately. Apparently, kit is more important to protect ticketed turkey baiters than a non profit charitable organization.

ETA: I have found out the names of the two guys in question and one of them was gifted a TFC hat several years ago. I appreciate DC bringing it to my attention. After hearing multiple sides of the story, it sounds like a situation where there was bait prior to the season with just a few pieces left 10 days prior to, and the kids were on the same property but not hunting over the bait. But, baiting is baiting, and that doesn’t fly. The hat that he has is my favorite one, and mine was getting a little greasy. Sounds like I’m getting a spare.
    Last edited by trkykilr; 04-08-2024 at 10:34 AM.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Quote Originally Posted by CUduckreeper View Post
    This should never have happened if the landowner cared. Game Warden should have been called the first time and tickets written. Prosecute to the fullest extent of the law every time is the only way to deal with poachers.
    Yeah… um. I called the local GW a few years back on a trespasser that I had on camera and had run off the property prior. He lived right across the street from our gate. The pics were detailed enough that you could nearly tell the time on his watch. The GW told me I needed to contact the county police and they would come out and address the situation. One of the only times I’ve needed green jeans to show up and this was the response I got.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    Yeah… um. I called the local GW a few years back on a trespasser that I had on camera and had run off the property prior. He lived right across the street from our gate. The pics were detailed enough that you could nearly tell the time on his watch. The GW told me I needed to contact the county police and they would come out and address the situation. One of the only times I’ve needed green jeans to show up and this was the response I got.
    Way better outcome for you to call the Sheriff's office. Swear out a warrant and they will arrest the guy at his home/work etc. and haul his sorry ass to jail. Much more of a future deterrent compared to a ticket to appear from the Game Wardens...

The hat that he has is my favorite one, and mine was getting a little greasy. Sounds like I’m getting a spare.

Hang on. There's a clause attached to the hat, that once given must be given back upon request?

Did you ask for it back in 3rd person singular?

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    That sucks. I’ve had the opposite history with my local game warden and Sheriff’s office. Couple years ago I had a guy and a gal drive past me on my farm. I went and asked them what they were doing and got the response, “just riding through”. I pointed out that after passing through my gate they also passed two posted signs to get where they were and told them they needed to leave now. Got a picture of the license plate and called the sheriff’s office. The deputy didn’t want to do anything and gave me some line about making sure I had the proper signage up at the corners and making sure I had signs up at the proper distance intervals for a property to be legally posted. Told the story to a game warden later and he said I should have called him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Birddawg View Post
    I dont know how it was done. For all I know that weird bastard that determined it's gender licked it.

IMG_3664.jpgIMG_3566.jpg

Trespassers suck. Horse lady was apologetic and won’t happen again. One of the other guys is a police officer who apparently can’t read no trespassing signs.

I watched from a tree stand as a trespasser road a horse right across a field in front of me this past fall, but she had big bouncers so I let it slide. Killed a doe with my bow about an hour later.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    I have asked for the names to be posted and also asked that they be sent to me privately. Apparently, kit is more important to protect ticketed turkey baiters than a non profit charitable organization.

ETA: I have found out the names of the two guys in question and one of them was gifted a TFC hat several years ago. I appreciate DC bringing it to my attention. After hearing multiple sides of the story, it sounds like a situation where there was bait prior to the season with just a few pieces left 10 days prior to, and the kids were on the same property but not hunting over the bait. But, baiting is baiting, and that doesn’t fly. The hat that he has is my favorite one, and mine was getting a little greasy. Sounds like I’m getting a spare.
    Probably a good time to revise the baiting law while were at it with all this turkey stuff! Few seeds found 10 days prior to the season and the hunters were not hunting over the bait during the season? Bit harsh. Might as well make a specific distance or something because the law can pretty much bust anyone. Neighbors running feeders etc.
    What if someone has a birdfeeder at their cabin or camp. Is that considered baiting if you kill a turkey on the same continuous property a mile away?

Unlawful to hunt or take a wild turkey by means of bait or on or over any baited area (SC 50-11-510). Bait means placing, depositing, exposing, distributing, or scattering of salt, corn, wheat, or other grain, or foodstuffs to constitute a lure or attraction for wild turkeys. An area remains a baited area for ten days following the complete removal of all bait. NOTE: The following activities can result in a baited area if done prior to or during turkey season: planting, discing or manipulating chufa to expose the tubers; mowing or manipulating standing grain crops where grain is scattered or exposed; top sowing of any grains; bait or feed intended for other species.

Deer season goes out January 1st. You got 2 1/2 month to get the feeder off and remove all bait.

If I were in a club that fed after deer season, I would make sure the feeders were off and empty prior to March 1st.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Where there’s smoke there’s fire. Don’t revise anything, you can’t be serious. If you’ve got a bird feeder at camp and that turkey visits the bird feeder at any point during the day, it doesn’t matter if he roosts a mile from your camp, he’s still on your property in part due to your bird feeder.

There’s a reason a ticket for killing a turkey over bait is an 18 point violation.

Concur.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post

How old was the “kid”?
    "Any man who thinks he can be happy and prosperous by letting the government take care of him better take a closer look at the American Indian" - Henry Ford

Little clarification over the baited tickets. A good friend of mine had seed out on property. His father wanted to kill his first bird with him. Father unaware of seed. Seed had been tilled under as they were planning to plant. They were approached and seed was found. He posted no pics of this hunt and fully accepted and confessed to the whole scenario. He's a good of a guy as I know and knows he did a dipshit move. But his haphazardly want to share a hunt with his older father trumped not hunting said property. He learned that lesson quick. Yes he was wearing a TFC hat. It was a gift from me as he's been a lover of the outdoors and great friend to me. We have shared hunts and he's always been on the right side of things. Spent time with me when I was in hospital for cancer. Did alot for me when raising money and such with the benefit side of things. Good people fuck up all the time. And this was his mistake that he got caught up on. Ain't no more issue to drag this out or make this about the people "included" in TFC. Just because someone wears a mossy oak hat you don't shit on the company when he does something dumb. I hope this clears up a little. Hope everyone has a good rest of their season. Without any seed or crickets!!!

Quote Originally Posted by b.t.guardian07 View Post
    Little clarification over the baited tickets. A good friend of mine had seed out on property. His father wanted to kill his first bird with him. Father unaware of seed. Seed had been tilled under as they were planning to plant. They were approached and seed was found. He posted no pics of this hunt and fully accepted and confessed to the whole scenario. He's a good of a guy as I know and knows he did a dipshit move. But his haphazardly want to share a hunt with his older father trumped not hunting said property. He learned that lesson quick. Yes he was wearing a TFC hat. It was a gift from me as he's been a lover of the outdoors and great friend to me. We have shared hunts and he's always been on the right side of things. Spent time with me when I was in hospital for cancer. Did alot for me when raising money and such with the benefit side of things. Good people fuck up all the time. And this was his mistake that he got caught up on. Ain't no more issue to drag this out or make this about the people "included" in TFC. Just because someone wears a mossy oak hat you don't shit on the company when he does something dumb. I hope this clears up a little. Hope everyone has a good rest of their season. Without any seed or crickets!!!
    Crickets are key. A lot of them released the afternoon before then sit that food plot with a cricket bucket next to you.

Quote Originally Posted by b-stick View Post
    Crickets are key. A lot of them released the afternoon before then sit that food plot with a cricket bucket next to you.
    Haha that's right

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    I watched from a tree stand as a trespasser road a horse right across a field in front of me this past fall, but she had big bouncers so I let it slide. Killed a doe with my bow about an hour later.
    Big bouncers you say? How about setting a trail cam to video for the homies. For educational purposes of course.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

If you feel it’s necessary to “pre bait” your land for turkeys season….your not a turkey hunter.
    Windows Down!

Quote Originally Posted by raybird View Post
    If you feel it’s necessary to “pre bait” your land for turkeys season….your not a turkey hunter.
    Honest question and not trying to start an argument. What if you bait from 2/1-3/1 and run cameras to get an inventory on the property? Say you only have 3 Longbeards on a particular tract and this would give you the information needed to only harvest 1 bird on that particular property. Same goes if you only have 1 longbeard that tract gets a pass for hunting from me. I agree 100% those who bait during the season are not turkey hunters! However, getting an inventory of the property prior to the season actually helps from over harvesting ONLY if you use restraint and keep what is best in mind for the resource. Just my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghetto View Post
    A larger caliber will help you with your deer kills. Try it.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I agree with timber22

Quote Originally Posted by Timberman22 View Post
    Honest question and not trying to start an argument. What if you bait from 2/1-3/1 and run cameras to get an inventory on the property? Say you only have 3 Longbeards on a particular tract and this would give you the information needed to only harvest 1 bird on that particular property. Same goes if you only have 1 longbeard that tract gets a pass for hunting from me. I agree 100% those who bait during the season are not turkey hunters! However, getting an inventory of the property prior to the season actually helps from over harvesting ONLY if you use restraint and keep what is best in mind for the resource. Just my opinion.
    I do the exact thing. I prebait the first week of February and get a good inventory before I decide to hunt a place.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.