Thread: Tell me about Middle and HS archery teams ?

Default Tell me about Middle and HS archery teams ?

I know couple of the schools in Anderson Cnty have archery teams (Pendleton and I think Crescent ) .

Had a client in office other day asking me what it would take to get this going in Anderson 5 (TLH and Westside ). Needless to say I was all very interested in making sure we get this going .

These parents told me a little bit about it but was running behind in my office and did not have a lot of extra time, told the parents to call me after tax season so I could get more information . In fact the Dad told me he had never shot a bow until a year ago when their daughter got interested and he is now hooked on it

Figure some of you here may have some experience with this and would not mind knowing what all we need and how it works

These parents said they had several volunteers to help/coach

TIA
    Last edited by tprice; 04-05-2024 at 08:00 PM.

My son has been shooting since the 4th grade. Townville Elementary, Riverside Middle, and now Pendleton High. His teams have been to the state tournaments almost every year and went to nationals in Louisville last year. The State tournament was last week in Columbia. PHS came in third place in 3D and 5th in bullseye. Not strong enough to go to nationals although my son shot well enough in 3D to go individually, but we are not going.

While at State last week I was talking to a coach that is starting a team at Walhalla High. It came up in our conversation that we were both surprised that Hannah or Cresent did not have teams.

The archery in schools is a well-run program by DNR. Great competition, win/lose, discipline, leadership opportunities, etc. Over the years it has certainly taught my son some life skills (although he doesn't realize it).

Phillip Robertson is your guy at DNR. He does a phenomenal job with the kids and the program. You can get his contact info on DNR's website. Jeff Terry is the PHS coach (as well as Pendleton Elementary and Riverside Middle). He has been doing it for 12+ years and would be glad to share his experience. I'll PM his contact info if you need it.

THANKS , that is information I am looking for

By way very good friends with your Principal at Townville, Love Denise. Her daughter and my daughter are life long best of friends(her daughter is like my 2nd daughter ). Did not realize they had this at Elementary schools. Very cool

“The archery in schools is a well-run program by DNR. Great competition, win/lose, discipline, leadership opportunities, etc. Over the years it has certainly taught my son some life skills (although he doesn't realize it). “

This is big thing I was thinking would come from it plus getting kids that know nothing about outdoors a chance to experience it

So they do 3D and Bullseye targets , cool.

The 3D is it an outside course like some the regular tournaments I have seen and shot in years ago ?

I assume all they need are some targets and basic archery equipment ?

Do shooters have their own or does school supply this
    Last edited by tprice; 04-06-2024 at 04:54 AM.

Everyone uses the same bow. So theirs no equipment advantage.
    Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Steelin' Ducks is the KRT of suppressors and such.

Coach Lavin(sp?) at Townville would be another good one to talk to, great guy. He's who my son started with. He is retiring this year but said he was still going to be involved in the archery at some level.

3D is indoors. 6 targets placed on a diagonal line starting at 31' out to 51' from the shooting line. Shoot 5 arrows at each target. Move right to the next target after each round until all six (lanes) are shot. Total of 30 shots with max score of 300.

Bullseye indoors too. They shoot three rounds of 5 arrows from 10 meters and three rounds of 5 arrows from 15 meters. Max score of 300.

ALL kids shoot the same bows and arrows (Mathews Genisis). Some kids (most) have their own and the schools have several available for the kids that don't. My son has been shooting his same bow since 4th grade. (11th now) He won a new one a few years ago but still shoots his old one. We put a new string on it every couple of years and it's good to go.

The Genisis bows are compound and have adjustable draw weight and infinite draw length and zero let off so anyone can shoot it. No sights or marks on the bow to aid in alignment are allowed. Instinct shooting.

The schools have targets for practice. Pendleton hosts a tournament every year (state qualifier) and has all the equipment (targets, pipe and drape, quivers, etc) for , I believe, 30 lanes in bullseye and two 3D set ups.

NASP is the governing body for the program. Their website has all the info. Also has upcoming tournaments and past results for any schools or individuals that have ever participated.

Great program that any kids can be involved in, if they work at it. It's popular in the Dist 4 schools and there are tryouts every year. Not everyone makes it. (Imagine that...)

https://www.naspschools.org/
    Last edited by We Jeep Inn; 04-06-2024 at 07:03 AM.

Sons bullseye flight at Nationals last year.

https://youtube.com/shorts/YNVQ23h26Nc?feature=shared

Phil is a great guy! Haven’t seen him in a while since he got involved with the archery. Glad to see it taking off

Quote Originally Posted by We Jeep Inn View Post
    Coach Lavin(sp?) at Townville would be another good one to talk to, great guy. He's who my son started with. He is retiring this year but said he was still going to be involved in the archery at some level.

3D is indoors. 6 targets placed on a diagonal line starting at 31' out to 51' from the shooting line. Shoot 5 arrows at each target. Move right to the next target after each round until all six (lanes) are shot. Total of 30 shots with max score of 300.

Bullseye indoors too. They shoot three rounds of 5 arrows from 10 meters and three rounds of 5 arrows from 15 meters. Max score of 300.

ALL kids shoot the same bows and arrows (Mathews Genisis). Some kids (most) have their own and the schools have several available for the kids that don't. My son has been shooting his same bow since 4th grade. (11th now) He won a new one a few years ago but still shoots his old one. We put a new string on it every couple of years and it's good to go.

The Genisis bows are compound and have adjustable draw weight and infinite draw length and zero let off so anyone can shoot it. No sights or marks on the bow to aid in alignment are allowed. Instinct shooting.

The schools have targets for practice. Pendleton hosts a tournament every year (state qualifier) and has all the equipment (targets, pipe and drape, quivers, etc) for , I believe, 30 lanes in bullseye and two 3D set ups.

NASP is the governing body for the program. Their website has all the info. Also has upcoming tournaments and past results for any schools or individuals that have ever participated.

Great program that any kids can be involved in, if they work at it. It's popular in the Dist 4 schools and there are tryouts every year. Not everyone makes it. (Imagine that...)

https://www.naspschools.org/
    THANKS. Really appreciate that info

The parents did mention NASP , great site.