Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Youth opener

image000000(2).jpg
    Son #1, don't know the details as he is on the opposite side but it looks to be a dandy! 3 years in a row. This is his last year for youth season.
    every expert was once a beginner

Yesterday was a good one for both of my boys. They did it right and both were able to connect with great birds. As I get older, I realize these days are few and far between and I don’t take them for granted. God blessed us greatly.
    Attached Images Attached Images

What a morning! Son #1 connected around 0755. His bird gobbled once, cut the distance and came in on a string after another call. Dropped him at 20 yards, stone dead. Son #2 and I are sitting in the blind waiting for 1 to fire off. Get ready to call it a day and I text Son #1 to see if they are hearing anything. He said no so I tell him we are headed out around 10. Not a min later he says they have 3 out in front gobbling and coming in. 3 huge long beards come within about 10 yards of their blind and begin to circle the decoy. They strut around for prob 10-15 min, bowing up and strutting trying to impress the decoy. I told son #2 to grab his stuff as we are moving towards the group of birds. We rush back and park the polaris at the head of the road and quickly make rhe 200 yard walk towards where the birds are. We get set up and I texted son #1 and he said the birds are still right out in front of the blind. We are about 250 yards away and I hammered on the call. Birds couldn't hear me. Tried the box call but nothing. Cranked down again on the slate and they all 3 gobbled and broke away from the decoy to come look for the lonely hen. Another min or so and I crank again and I'm cut off. Son #1 says the birds walked down the road about 40 yards and cut into the woods. I wait again for a min then hit the call and they hammer back. Give them another min or so and call again instantly cut off so I put the call down and wait. They pop out of the woods about 60 yards away and slowly make their way towards us. They look down the road and don't see the hen and know something is up. They bob and weave looking for the hen. Meanwhile son #2 is about to hyperventilate and is shaking like a leaf. I keep telling him to breathe and take a good steady aim. Bird 1 heads into the woods followed by bird 2. I tell him to get ready and he pulls down on the 3rd bird and it flies up then lands and slowly walks away. The other 2 birds jump up and land in the swamp next to us. I was gonna have him swing on the other birds but bird 3 is limping away and I told him to shoot that 1 again. We find feathers down there but couldn't find the bird. Found 2 big black racers out sunning but no bird. Found a few feathers here and there but still no bird. Son #2 was bummed but I told him if you never miss 1 you haven't hunted enough. Awesome day with the kids. Son #1 had a hunt and a show he will always remember, and son #2 will never forget his first miss on a turkey. At least he got to see them strut and fan out. Will get back on them again Friday. 20240317_090630.jpg

Awesome. Congrats to all.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

I didn't have any kids to take this morning. Apparently I need more grandkids.

Congratulations to all of you and your kids. These are my favorite posts on here every year.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Well my middle boy and I went this morning. We had them 50-60 yards behind us drumming and gobbling but never actually put eyes on them. Had a fun hunt with my boy!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

I went along with a good friend and his 8 year old son this morning in search of his first turkey. Without all of the details, it was crazy gobbling from a lot of turkeys, a good many of which we managed to spook. We finally were able to sit still long enough to get it all to come together, and he made a great 25 yard shot on a fine gobbler. The two that we were finally able to finish strutted and gobbled across that plowed field for 150 yards in the 8:30 am sun, and it was some sight to behold. Seeing the wonderment in the eyes of a first timer is always special.

Great job to all the youths and dads.
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

Congratulations to all!
    Vegetarian: Native American for Piss Poor Hunter

Fine job fellas

Love seeing these youth kills
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

Great stuff guys! Love seeing these pics.

For some reason I'm having a hard time getting pics to upload, but son #1 and I had an amazing hunt Saturday morning that resulted in him killing his third Longbeard at 8:00AM. Heavy bird with sharp 1" spurs and double bearded 10" and 4". Son #2 and I enjoyed a beautiful morning in the woods yesterday before church, but didn't hear or see a bird. Both will continue to get after them with me when the regular season starts. It is officially the most wonderful time of the year and we are excited.
    Last edited by PharmHunter; 03-18-2024 at 11:10 AM.

IMG_0822.jpg
    Finally got one pic to upload

There have been some very nice birds that were taken this past weekend. Congrats to all of those young men and women out there continuing on the tradition.

It was a beautiful morning Saturday. Turkey talk was amazing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I wish I could breathe life back in him, if I could I'd hunt him again tomorrow. - Ben Rodgers Lee

www.springallurecustomcalls.com

https://www.facebook.com/springallure.customcalls/

It’s the best time of the year, congrats to all the youth.

Congrats on some nice birds! We got close on Saturday, but couldn't close the deal. Kickin myself for not doing better for my son. Set up in the dark on a field edge, and thought we were better concealed than we were, and decoys too close. Birds were gobbling but hanging up. My partner moves back and calls and shortly after, here he comes. Problem, he's coming straight at us with the decoy between us. He hangs up at about the edge of what I figure is a possible range and has us pinned down. As he started moving again he put his head low, and I thought we had an opportunity to get the gun up, but he must have caught a little movement, and then the head goes up, and the putting started and he turned and walked away. My son never got the gun up far enough to be steady, and with the distance...no shot. Beautiful bird, with the sun shining on him, and every time he gobbled, my son jumped. Hope we get after another. Time and memories are priceless.