For years I've been outspoken about the under utilization of bluewings in SC.

Thousands of birds stop off and utilize coastal category one WMA properties on their migrations southward.

I have brought up access to these properties for teal hunting for over a decade and have always been met with a myriad of reasons as to why that just won't do from our SCDNR, WAC, and Board.

Everything from concerns about destruction of roads, hunter safety concerning shotguns, to alligators, and even mosquitoes being a serious issue.

My valid rebuttals to these concerns fell on deaf ears.

Destruction of roads is a valid concern on Bear Island WMA. I get that.
But that's nothing proper signs and maps can't fix.

But it doesn't seem to matter that SC early season teal hunters manage to not shoot themselves or each other just outside the dikes.
Surely we aren't dealing with a more aggressive mosquito inside Murphy's dikes than we are in the ICW?

Gators? Since the inception of the alligator hunt program, the largest alligators killed have come from Marion or Moultrie.

Teal hunters wade thigh deep in lily pad ponds and shallow flats every year for teal season on these lakes.

In my opinion, we have an under utilized resource that could offer SC residents quality hunting.

I would like public opinion on open access to all coastal CAT1 WMAs for walk in/paddle boat teal hunting.

Discuss....