3.jpg
    4.jpg
    1.jpg
    2.jpg

My youngest son with a nice one from yesterday
    Wes Big Trout.jpg

Nice trout

Deeper holes?

all these were in 6ft to 14ft, there are a couple of curves in this creek where it's 20-26ft
    but no fish. Water temp was 59 degrees, most of the creek is shallow and black muddy bottom
    which holds the heat. I am sure they flee into the nearby deep when they need to
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-27-2024 at 07:21 PM.

Nice lookin fish.

On artificial, fun.

The front of the creek where it meets a large river was 53 degrees at the creek mouth, 59 degrees in the back of the creek.
    Most big trout have deep water close by, I mean we catch them in 6ft or so but less than 30ft away will be
    20ft to 40ft, so a ledge more or less.
    With that said, when the temps get into the low 20s, they are only in the bottom of the deep water and retrieve
    your lure as slow as humanly possible. Really just crawling it, my go to, when icy is a large artificial shrimp tossed
    into a deep hole, let it sink to the bottom and slow crawl it back to the boat.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-27-2024 at 07:51 PM.

Nice. Great information.

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    Really just crawling it, my go to, when icy is a large artificial shrimp tossed into a deep hole, let it sink to the bottom and slow crawl it back to the boat.
    Great work, as always, ecu.

This is fun. So, I went into Hardell's some years back to get a shrimp lure that my brother told me was "the killin' thing". He used to say that all the time. Anyway, it was dead winter, just like now, and he was fishing around Little River and Ocean Isle, and he was catching a bunch of trout.

I ask the salesman about this particular lure, and he says to me, "You don't want to use shrimp, you have to match the hatch", and he tried to redirect me to some minnow lure.

Will a trout pass on a shrimp in the winter? I don't think so. Change my mind.
    Last edited by Fish; 02-28-2024 at 12:11 PM. Reason: Too wordy

Heck yea. Nice work
    Thanks for the intel

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post

This is fun. So, I went into Hardell's some years back to get a shrimp lure that my brother told me was "the killin' thing". He used to say that all the time. Anyway, it was dead winter, just like now, and he was fishing around Little River and Ocean Isle, and he was catching a bunch of trout.

I ask the salesman about this particular lure, and he says to me, "You don't want to use shrimp, you have to match the hatch", and he tried to redirect me to some minnow lure.

I know a redfish wont pass a shrimp up this time of year.

Proof that your boy CAN say nice things. Every ten years or so at least.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Your sports takes are absurd but you definitely have the trout fishing dialed in. Good quality size fish there too as well as numbers. Thanks for the intel, hope to go try soon.
    Last edited by WatereesWatson; 02-28-2024 at 01:39 PM.

I watched 40-50 trout get pulled into the boat on Monday and all but 4 or 5 ate a voodoo shrimp
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

ECU- did you try the Ned rig out on those trout yet?

A live shrimp under a cork in the winter is guaranteed trout. A lot of people buy live shrimp right now to trout fish with.
    One of the largest trout I ever caught was on an artificial Z-Man shrimp.
    Hideous lime green of all colors, it was 18 degrees outside and I tossed it to the bottom,
    gave it time to sink and got distracted and started talking to my buddy, not reeling, just stopped retrieving to talk
    and the rod was about jerked outta my hand. 8.5lb trout while artificial shrimp was laying on the bottom of 17ft hole.
    They are very lethargic when bitter cold and cant chase, need it laying right in front of their face. Crawl it or dead stick it
    Last edited by ecu1984; 02-28-2024 at 04:14 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    ECU- did you try the Ned rig out on those trout yet?
    Dang it - I forgot to.
    Thanks for reminding me - headed back in a few days when the wind lays down and the rain passes and definitely will.
    Rain messes the fishing up in this spot, it's brackish water and if it rains a little, they run out and go closer to the ocean
    for salinity.

I caught 20 the other week on just about everything I threw. All artificial. Fun to catch but not as much fun as a spot tail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Timber Ghost View Post
    I caught 20 the other week on just about everything I threw. All artificial. Fun to catch but not as much fun as a spot tail

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I agree, we caught a pretty slot red yesterday too

way to go, guys. now every landing from savannah to the outer banks will be crawling with trout fishermen decimating the resource.

at least that's what I always read on this here web site.
    funny how hypocrisy works, aint it?

good catching ECU
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    way to go, guys. now every landing from savannah to the outer banks will be crawling with trout fishermen decimating the resource.

at least that's what I always read on this here web site.
    funny how hypocrisy works, aint it?

good catching ECU
    Blasting their loud mud motors