Thread: Replacing a fireplace insert?

Default Replacing a fireplace insert?

The addition on our house has a fireplace with a tier three insert that is too shallow. This is a second floor den on pilings so a true brick chimney is not an option. Whenever we build a fire, all it takes is a slight gust to make it burp a cloud of smoke back into the house. Consequently, we never use it anymore. I am considering having it replaced with a wood stove that would probably have to protrude out into the room some.

I like the idea of a wood stove rather than a completely open fireplace so I'll be able to close the doors, throttle the damper and make wood last longer. I still would like to be able to run it with the doors open when we want to watch the flames.

Does anyone know of a good reliable business in the Charleston/Mt. Pleasant area that does this type of work? Are there any things I should know about wood stoves; i.e. brands, features, etc.?

Your chimney has an issue if you're getting smoke back in the house, does it smoke back when it's been burning for a while or just when you are starting to get a fire going?

If you go the stove route just get one with glass door(s)

And Charlie is correct about your chimney having an issue. The chimney height above the roof and how close it is to other projecting rooflines or walls all have to be taken into consideration for a chimney to work properly.
    Last edited by Duck cutter; 02-05-2024 at 09:25 AM.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Second/third what Charlie said. I used to do fireplaces for a living. The insert isn’t your problem. Look at this website and find you an NFI certified guy in the area to come take a look, fix or replace

https://www.nficertified.org/public/