Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it About Ducks...

Maybe it looks like a needle and runs like a sewing machine.

Quote Originally Posted by Drylok View Post
    Duck hunting combines so many of the things that I like into one package. Boats, water, dogs, guns, brand new days coming to life, stories, and the overall challenge of trying to outwit a pretty smart creature.

I can also duck hunt with people or without. Matters not to me…
    I approve of this message.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Fooling them. Like completely fooling them. Them coming down from the clouds without an ounce of fear of the situation. The last 40 yards to the water is what does it for me. I don't care if I'm pulling the trigger or not.

Bart I am a late bloomer.

Grew up shooting doves and chasing quail with grandad. He was a short lived duck hunter. Him and his brother would go shoot ducks before going to Conway to take night classes and would drop them off for grandma to clean.

She had enough and put her foot down told him the next ducks he felt the need to shoot, he would be the one plucking feathers. That was the day he gave up duck hunting. Uncles used to long before I came around. No one in the family had a boat or a swamp though.

I killed my first 2 wood duck birds in 2018. I understand what Rubberhead means when he says a switch flipped. Seeing those silhouettes cutting through the trees and hearing the wingbeats right at shooting light gives me goose bumps. There is something about watching the world come to life as the sun comes up and hearing those first couple squeals on a foggy morning. It carries a certain je no sais quoi. I love thinking I can hit a wood duck coming in with the landing gear down, and pissing away shells trying. It can be a very humbling experience.

I might not be a SC bona fide duck killa like some of these boys claim to be but I know there can't be many that enjoy it more than I do.

Hell yeah, young homie.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

I love most everything about it. I think about it and work at it year round. It all started way back in the 70s

75604EDC-DF66-469A-BBAC-53526C58C160.jpg
    80-20 Genaration

I’d say I had a late start. No one in my family duck hunted. I shot some upland as a late teen but that was about it. Had a buddy take me duck hunting later in life and there was no turning back. Now he’s burnt out with it and I mostly go solo.

I love to watch birds work, I’d rather shoot a couple feet down then a limit of pass shots. (not saying I don’t pass shoot)

Hell, I even like to watch other hunters in the ponds next to me do it right. Calls when he needs to, lets the birds work, kills a bird with one shot.

The end of last year I hunted by the same dudes 3 trips in a row and it was quite fun watching them “do it right” and be respectful.

Getting out and experiencing it all, is good for the mind and soul.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckman#1 View Post
    I love most everything about it. I think about it and work at it year round. It all started way back in the 70s

75604EDC-DF66-469A-BBAC-53526C58C160.jpg
    I have a couple of the same Victors.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

If you have to ask you need to be playing golf or fishing.

BART…

For me it was a perfect storm type a thing. My dad had a miserable first duck hunt experience and never went again…so I was never introduced to duck hunting as a child. When I graduated college, one of the creators of this site became one of my best friends…Rock-n-Rye introduced me to duck hunting in 1992. It was something new, and I loved the mystic that grew with all the stories he and others would tell about the good ol’ days. I loved the pre-hunt camp-outs, the thrill of being on the water at 3am trying to find a good spot in the Lynches swamp, and the cold morning rock and rye buzz. I loved that it was hard to find a duck and that a wood duck limit was a feat accomplished.

Then I moved to where there are ducks and away from like minded friends to hunt them with. After a season of easily killing limits of mallards and wigeon mostly solo, the awesomeness of duck hunting that once was wasn’t anymore…and I haven’t hunted them since.

I guess the moral of my story is that, at least for me, it was/is much more about everything that a duck hunt can offer than it is about the ducks themselves.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

Golf sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Golf sucks.
    You DAMN right. Only people with vaginas should engage in such a waste of time!
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

I deer hunted with this guy when he was a kid.

https://www.facebook.com/share/p/GPt...ibextid=xfxF2i

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-18-2024 at 05:12 PM.

My first hunt was in 1993 in jacks creek. I was 6 years old. I went with my pops for years but with some of his health going down hill, I was taken by a good family friend. Once I could start driving is when I really started to figure it out. I’ll never forget the first decoying limit. It was Thanksgiving morning and at willtown of all places! 9 teal 3 wood ducks. You couldn’t tell us nothing at the age of 16! Ever since that day I’ve never pass shot a duck again. I’ve been out of state a few times, and honestly it’s not as rewarding to me as it is to do it here. I love everything about it and it consumes me. And even better now that my boys get to tag along some, they are also ate up with it too!
    867-5309

Bond with my dogs and watching their excitement.

Timber shoots are hard to describe the weaving and pouring in of ducks.

The plumage on ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    It's watching them in flight. Nothing else compares.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    This^

No brown ducks. Someone IS good with duck math!

I like the creative hashtags and @'s I see on the insta posts.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Golf sucks for people that lack grace, I can't blame y'all.

I enjoy hunting with people, or alone. I mean I enjoy watching birds, but there is nothing that gets me going like a bird folding up. I'm not there for a picnic.