Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What is it About Ducks...

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post

The other big thing is dogs. Not picking up dead birds in the spread, but working a cripple. A big greenhead hauling ass on big water with the dog barely keeping pace out 2-300 yards.
    Then you watch that greenhead dive. I stand up and smile and say "that duck just fucked up"
    Watching brown dog get to where bird dove. Start spinning circles, re-acquire when it surfaces, bird dives again, then brown dog disappears for 3-4 seconds and always emerges with a duck clamped in mouth by its ass.
    That's what it's about.

A diving dog is pretty neat. But a solid, hard-charging dog hitting a standing goose at full speed is a sight to behold. Or jumping up to catch a wounded bird out of the air. I get a chub just typing it.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    They help pass the time until turkey season.

It may sound odd but I duck hunt 3 or 4 days a week on average and I tell people I'm not a duck hunter. I love it but I don't eat, sleep and breath it like a lot of guys on here.

Eastern wild turkeys and mature bucks keep me awake at night.
    Agree with this
    Psalm 42:1 "As the hart panteth after the water brooks, so panteth my soul after thee, O God."

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    A diving dog is pretty neat. But a solid, hard-charging dog hitting a standing goose at full speed is a sight to behold. Or jumping up to catch a wounded bird out of the air. I get a chub just typing it.
    Duck dog folks should get out in the woods behind a good bird dog or flusher. They’d actually see poetry in motion.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    And now tame quail are out, too!? Dadgum man.

See Bart, just take up golf. Dainty socks may be optional?
    You can shoot them if you want... it doesn't bother me. It's not hunting though. Others can maybe lie to themselves, but I'm not buying it. I'm fully against in every aspect though of releasing ducks.

People can sit in a tame pond all they want, entertain customers, take pics, and post them on social media.. but we are different. I will die on that hill.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    They help pass the time until turkey season.

It may sound odd but I duck hunt 3 or 4 days a week on average and I tell people I'm not a duck hunter. I love it but I don't eat, sleep and breath it like a lot of guys on here.

Eastern wild turkeys and mature bucks keep me awake at night.
    Kinda funny, I really only hunt turkey because duck season is over and fishin hasn't really kicked off yet.

Quote Originally Posted by sprigdog View Post
    My entire life revolves around ducks. I set up my military career to be stationed in all 4 flyways which provided me a chance at shooting exotics not on the west coast. Blacks, mottleds, etc.
    I served an extremely long time solely for the retirement check. Once the calculator said if you retire now and not need to work again, I did. Aged 49. The sole purpose was having every single day of duck season off. Then, I had to find a place to live that has the longest season, generous bag limits, public land, and most importantly, ducks! Found it. My wife hates it. I don't care, she knew what she signed up for.
    It's always awesome when you fool them and get them feet down. That's not why I hunt them. I actually prefer a 45 yard pass shot. More satisfying for myself.
    The things that trips my trigger are knowing the second you own the birds. Staring at them coming in, calling out where in the flock the drakes are, knowing exactly which bird you are going to shoot 2nd or on the rare occasion I have a semi, 3rd.
    I guess it's the anticipation.
    The other big thing is dogs. Not picking up dead birds in the spread, but working a cripple. A big greenhead hauling ass on big water with the dog barely keeping pace out 2-300 yards.
    Then you watch that greenhead dive. I stand up and smile and say "that duck just fucked up"
    Watching brown dog get to where bird dove. Start spinning circles, re-acquire when it surfaces, bird dives again, then brown dog disappears for 3-4 seconds and always emerges with a duck clamped in mouth by its ass.
    That's what it's about.
    Very cool, dude.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Any late bloomers, or has everybody been doing this for a long time?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Watched my 2 year old black lab stick his head under water 4-5 times at least chasing a diving summer duck who came in feet down this morning. It made me smile to see him stick with it.

Also according to Ramsey Russell you can duck hunt year round as well so don’t send more idiots to the golf course please

It wasn't my choice. Some neuron misfired in my brain when I killed my second duck, a blue-winged teal. I even felt it - like a tiny rubberband snapped. I felt a neuron pop when I saw a sophomore in high school when I was a junior - that was 1980...I'm still with her. I just made her a venison stew. Love at first sight is real. I felt the same thing when Stafford Feigen brought a Browning Superposed to a Christmas eve deer drive. It's not religious...it's very biological but life changing.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Any late bloomers, or has everybody been doing this for a long time?
    I didn't start til I was a senior in college. It coincided with buying my first boat. No one in my family hunted anything but doves on sept1

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    I didn't start til I was a senior in college. It coincided with buying my first boat. No one in my family hunted anything but doves on sept1
    And look what you went and caused.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Duck hunting combines so many of the things that I like into one package. Boats, water, dogs, guns, brand new days coming to life, stories, and the overall challenge of trying to outwit a pretty smart creature.

I can also duck hunt with people or without. Matters not to me…

Much rather hunt with people.

Mallards and blacks are the finest game on the planet.

I'm talking about the ducks bart.

Here's what great about ducks. We anticipate. We anticipate weather patterns elsewhere. We anticipate what those weather patterns will do for our local area. We anticipate local weather. We anticipate ducks doing certain thing with local weather and tides. Then we go forth with extremely high anticipation.
    In the negative temps east for 2000 miles. Snow piled up high.
    I anticipated a certain spot will be magic at 2pm. Called in an extra buddy because I knew I was right.
    Here's the result. The absolute perfect 3 man limit in 2 hours with us taking turns shooting. This is why we love duck hunting.
    IMG_5807.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Disgusting

It is the anticipation, the tease of a pintail flirting with you while never knowing if it is the last pass.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

If I had to sum it up in a word it would be "lust".
    Anticipation contemplates a result.
    I can't count how many times I blamed too much anticipation on a bust.
    DILLIGAF

Many thing scoring the touchdown is what makes the game of football. It is not.

Third down is what makes you watch it.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

I'm an extrovert.. the social aspect is one of my favorite parts. I can be working a flock of mallards or teal or wigeon and be talking to the fella next to me between notes.

In between flocks we can have full on conversations and I don't have to be concerned with what detergent I washed my clothes in. And when they arrive feet down cupped up, that's what is all about. Taking a pintail on public water is a helluva accomplishment. I just love being on the water.

The boat ride, the prep the evening before, it's all part of the hunt.

I've virtually given up deer hunting. Nothing else moves the needle like the ducks.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-15-2024 at 10:59 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Give yourself some credit and at least call it a little smokie