Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What is it About Ducks...

Default What is it About Ducks...

...that resonates so deeply within your soul? More so than other animals and/or pursuits? I'm hoping for some good feedback, considering the nature of this site. Thanks in advance for your contributions.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Knowing that somewhere in the Low Country of South Carolina there is habitat that I created and a duck is thinking about my place before or during migration. Gets me pretty excited
    Last edited by Calibogue; 01-15-2024 at 10:59 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

i like being wet and cold and miserable
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

It's an illusion. You're over romanticizing it because it's the "cool thing" on social media with lots of hashtags and expensive gear that makes you feel apart of some all-inclusive clique. It's a lie.

Take up golf. You can play year round.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

It's watching them in flight. Nothing else compares.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Watching them "do it right..." when they commit to the decoys is like nothing else.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    It's an illusion. You're over romanticizing it because it's the "cool thing" on social media with lots of hashtags and expensive gear that makes you feel apart of some all-inclusive clique. It's a lie.

Feels like you're grumpy a lot.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

This is very true haha
    Sea Ark 1542 w/ Yamaha 40
    Xpress 16 w/ 50 Hammer
    War Eagle 15 w/ 30 Hammer

--------------------------------------------------

"Sometimes you gotta grab the bull by the horns and the women by the tits and take charge in your life" - General Patton

"I'm very drunk and I intend on getting still drunker before this evening's over."
    - Rhett Butler

They help pass the time until turkey season.

It may sound odd but I duck hunt 3 or 4 days a week on average and I tell people I'm not a duck hunter. I love it but I don't eat, sleep and breath it like a lot of guys on here.

Eastern wild turkeys and mature bucks keep me awake at night.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    Watching them "do it right..." when they commit to the decoys is like nothing else.
    I've seen it a few times now, and it is indeed pretty cool. Watching the dogs do their thing is pretty awesome, too.

Quote Originally Posted by Coastal Woodie View Post
    They help pass the time until turkey season.

It may sound odd but I duck hunt 3 or 4 days a week on average and I tell people I'm not a duck hunter. I love it but I don't eat, sleep and breath it like a lot of guys on here.

Eastern wild turkeys and mature bucks keep me awake at night.
    Heard. And agree.
    F**K Cancer

Just Damn.

People that hunt just for their dogs just to retrieve aren't hunters, they're strange gatherers that might not have a penis.

Quote Originally Posted by Sasha and Abby View Post
    This.

Aside from HS's thoughts on the doing this for the dog thing earlier that's a big part of it for me. It's a combination of two things for, getting ducks in the hole because of decoy placement, calling, scouting, etc and then watching a dog I trained do its job well. That will always be a bigger part of it for me. Last I checked I still have a penis.
    Last edited by BCR3; 01-15-2024 at 12:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    People that hunt just for their dogs just to retrieve aren't hunters, they're strange gatherers that might not have a penis.
    Strong talk for a man who wears dainty socks.

I enjoy watching the dogs do what they are trained and bred to do.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

It’s the whistle of their wings before you can see them as the sun is just starting to light the eastern sky that does it for me.

My entire life revolves around ducks. I set up my military career to be stationed in all 4 flyways which provided me a chance at shooting exotics not on the west coast. Blacks, mottleds, etc.
    I served an extremely long time solely for the retirement check. Once the calculator said if you retire now and not need to work again, I did. Aged 49. The sole purpose was having every single day of duck season off. Then, I had to find a place to live that has the longest season, generous bag limits, public land, and most importantly, ducks! Found it. My wife hates it. I don't care, she knew what she signed up for.
    It's always awesome when you fool them and get them feet down. That's not why I hunt them. I actually prefer a 45 yard pass shot. More satisfying for myself.
    The things that trips my trigger are knowing the second you own the birds. Staring at them coming in, calling out where in the flock the drakes are, knowing exactly which bird you are going to shoot 2nd or on the rare occasion I have a semi, 3rd.
    I guess it's the anticipation.
    The other big thing is dogs. Not picking up dead birds in the spread, but working a cripple. A big greenhead hauling ass on big water with the dog barely keeping pace out 2-300 yards.
    Then you watch that greenhead dive. I stand up and smile and say "that duck just fucked up"
    Watching brown dog get to where bird dove. Start spinning circles, re-acquire when it surfaces, bird dives again, then brown dog disappears for 3-4 seconds and always emerges with a duck clamped in mouth by its ass.
    That's what it's about.
    Quote Originally Posted by trentsmith View Post
    Honestly I don't remember why I don't like you but I do remember that I don't like you.

Strong talk for a man who wears dainty socks.

I enjoy watching the dogs do what they are trained and bred to do.
    I don't often wear dainty socks, bit one thing is for certain.. I stand pretty solid by my beliefs in life and hunting. There's nothing wrong with watching dogs work, I've trained enough.. it's the people who say they hunt just for the dog. Most of them have no problem hunting tame ducks or tame quail. That's faggotery, it's not hunting. Those two are not akin.

And now tame quail are out, too!? Dadgum man.

See Bart, just take up golf. Dainty socks may be optional?

What sprig said, "The things that trips my trigger are knowing the second you own the birds. Staring at them coming in, calling out where in the flock the drakes are, knowing exactly which bird you are going to shoot 2nd or on the rare occasion I have a semi, 3rd.
    I guess it's the anticipation."

For me it's wild Mallards and Black Ducks in SC committing to the spread from the heavens circling 8 or 10 times to finally end up in the decoys. Doesn't happen as much now, but when it does it makes it all worth it.