Page 6 of 8 FirstFirst ... 45678 LastLast

Thread: Video-SCDNR Cat 1 WMA MISMANAGEMENT

The state is lucky to have both Achi and Molly Kneece.

agree
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

If you are in the Pee Dee River basin, get ready because it's coming. I crossed on hwy 34 above Florence today. I've only seen it higher a couple of times in the last 50 years.

And Bogster got his wish. It's a green tree reservoir from Randolfs to Hwy 17,....on both sides of the Santee river.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-15-2024 at 06:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    If you are in the Pee Dee River basin, get ready because it's coming. I crossed on hwy 34 above Florence today. I've only seen it higher a couple of times in the last 50 years.

And Bogster got his wish. It's a green tree reservoir from Randolfs to Hwy 17,....on both sides of the Santee river.

Yet a lot of the upstate lakes are more than 4 ft below full pool.
    “Duck hunting gives a man a chance to see the loneliest places …blinds washed by a rolling surf, blue and gold autumn marshes, …a rice field in the rain, flooded pin-oak forests or any remote river delta. In duck hunting the scene is as important as the shooting.” ~ Erwin Bauer, The Duck Hunter’s Bible, 1965

Hartwell is 2.2’ below
    Russell is 0.98’ below
    Clarks Hill is 2.89’ below
    Keowee is 2.43’ below
    Jocassee is 1.43’ below

Not a single upstate lake is remotely close to 4’ below full pool.

Quote Originally Posted by Tater View Post
    Hartwell is 2.2’ below
    Russell is 0.98’ below
    Clarks Hill is 2.89’ below
    Keowee is 2.43’ below
    Jocassee is 1.43’ below

Not a single upstate lake is remotely close to 4’ below full pool.

Marion is -2.06
    Moultrie is -3.08

Smith,

Thank you for your efforts.

SCDNR needs to establish a better system for emergency repairs. DT should be able to help with that.

DNR puts a lot of focus on “youth” but should extend that to “young”. A huge part of the duck hunting population in SC are between 16-25 especially the ones hunting public.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by flopduster View Post

SCDNR needs to establish a better system for emergency repairs. DT should be able to help with that.

Here’s your difference between public/private management. I have a problem- I can start to address immediately, .gov doesn’t roll like that!

There needs to be an emergency fund solely for dike repairs and nothing else.

The problem is, if you don't need it in the first year, people will be trying to spend it on other things. That's what government does.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 01-16-2024 at 10:20 AM.

All private landowners have bushhogged and burnt in time to flood 2 weeks before the 1st split. Why can’t DNR. If they tell you otherwise,it is another excuse at the expense of the public waterfowler and the resource. If we have been flooding before the split for the past 90 years,why can’t the government?

Because it’s the government

I am not trying to start anything with you but I have been waiting for someone to say,” Oh that is just government”. We should not accept this train of thought. We have to make government do better. Otherwise WMA harvest numbers will continue to go down the rabbit hole.
    Everybody needs to understand,I gain nothing from this and certainly get no pleasure calling out DNR. I Shot my first duck on the PeeDee 61 years ago. I know things can be better for the public hunter and the resource. This management issue will never be resolved as long as the DNR board defends collapsing harvest on many Cat 1 WMAs.

We have debated this same BS on here since the inception of SCDUCKS. I'm like Tater, nothing has or will change, I just don't give a damn anymore. Just wasted energy.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Achi is a great manager. I have commended him and and his crew at Santee Coastal Reserve in previous board presentations.I personally think SCR is the top WMA in the Atlantic flyway.
    This last video presentation did not mention SCR. I have always felt like good things take care of themselves. It is the problem areas that we need to focus on.

That is especially true on Santee Coastal Reserve. Achi fights it everyday. He addresses the breach immediately. Otherwise a relatively small problem would become a huge,expensive problem. Achi,keep up the good job at SCR.

lets boil it down....
    DT is sort of our "voice" when it comes to the legislature. The bad news is that he sees it from that perspective. The .gov is all about votes and funding. I think the point most of us are trying to make is that it takes sweat equity and knowledge, two things that aren't spoken of in committee.

Dont throw money at it. Throw a good person at it.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DNR asking private land owners to open their places up for draw hunts should tell you a lot.

Just the other day someone on here was bitching about not being able to shoot ducks on the refuge. On. The. Refuge. People are, well, people...

Didn’t flood before 1st split either. Same reason, senescence. Neither did Annandale in their moist soil, or Rochelle in theirs. People with planted food did.

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    We have debated this same BS on here since the inception of SCDUCKS. I'm like Tater, nothing has or will change, I just don't give a damn anymore. Just wasted energy.
    Absolutely agree. Seems hopeless