Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Broad river Draw Hunt

Default Broad river Draw Hunt

Has anyone hunted the Broad River Hunt yet? Going Saturday? Looks like it will be a wet one..

Very little ducks are the reports I’m hearing. They had some birds but I think most of them left.
    Last edited by coot nasty; 01-04-2024 at 04:04 AM.
    "I'm just a victim of a circumstance"

They didn't have water and had to cancel the first scheduled hunt of the season. Best advice I can give is don't pass up any decent shots. As coot posted above, very few ducks. Good luck

The few birds that are there, are nocturnal. They are feeding all night and leaving about 30+ mins before shooting light. If you see a teal you better shoot it, because the teal flight won't last long. Rain may help prolong the teal flight. The ducks with a brain won't be seen, because they are the same birds that got here before Thanksgiving. I think harvest was 1 wood duck last week.
    Last edited by BRR; 01-04-2024 at 08:01 AM.

Volunteer to hunt the flat when they offer. I was there two weeks ago and seemed to have a better shoot than most. It was all teal, never saw a big duck. Don't wait for them to decoy, take the shot when you get one. I had ducks filter through all morning, even when it seemed the rest of the groups weren't seeing any. If you can, set up next to the railroad tracks with just a few decoys and keep the boat close. After the first flight move to where you saw them land

A lot changed yesterday all over the state.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Ponds were not flooded until week of Dec 11th. Hunt was cancelled for Dec 16th due to low/no water and hardly any birds. Only holding a couple hundred prior to the Dec 23rd hunt.

locally I have seen a few more divers arrive last 2 days.

Quote Originally Posted by Five Oh View Post
    Volunteer to hunt the flat when they offer. I was there two weeks ago and seemed to have a better shoot than most. It was all teal, never saw a big duck. Don't wait for them to decoy, take the shot when you get one. I had ducks filter through all morning, even when it seemed the rest of the groups weren't seeing any. If you can, set up next to the railroad tracks with just a few decoys and keep the boat close. After the first flight move to where you saw them land
    I second this.

Aren't you glad you waited 4+ years to get this opportunity?
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    Ponds were not flooded until week of Dec 11th. Hunt was cancelled for Dec 16th due to low/no water and hardly any birds. Only holding a couple hundred prior to the Dec 23rd hunt.

locally I have seen a few more divers arrive last 2 days.
    Yeah that was a blessing!

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    Aren't you glad you waited 4+ years to get this opportunity?
    If a draw hunt property isn't holding birds, SCDNR should move the hunters to another property with the highest chances of a successful hunt.
    Waiting 4 years to hunt is unacceptable, but it's unfathomable to make somebody wait 4 years, then knowingly place them in a duckless field.

Unreal.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

And it happens all the time! Them days are gone and I haven't applied in years.
    Low country redneck who moved north

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    If a draw hunt property isn't holding birds, SCDNR should move the hunters to another property with the highest chances of a successful hunt.
    Waiting 4 years to hunt is unacceptable, but it's unfathomable to make somebody wait 4 years, then knowingly place them in a duckless field.

Unreal.
    I agree 100 % it just goes to show you how bad our system is. Crazy how a lot of the other states actually do something for the waterfowl hunters.

Unreal.
    If they did that, it would be 8-10 years before anyone would draw for all the bumping and re-arranging. Which, apparently, is about the same amount of time it takes to get drawn for one of those quail hunts.

Just goes to show that more of you jacklegs need to be golfing or playing pickleball or something. This is getting silly.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Unreal.
    100% agree. I don't even know why people bother applying any more. DNR's management of these properties is a joke and should be costing some people their jobs, instead, they just do the bare minimum, run the hunters to their designated spots, and go back and sit on their asses some more....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    100% agree. I don't even know why people bother applying any more. DNR's management of these properties is a joke and should be costing some people their jobs, instead, they just do the bare minimum, run the hunters to their designated spots, and go back and sit on their asses some more....
    If you're expecting DNR to do anything productive with regards to public hunting I'd suggest adjusting those expectations to zero.

The only thing DNR knows how to do is restrict hunters thru decreased bag limits and opportunities, oh and pester the fuck out of anyone in a boat for "safety" reasons. Safety with a capital $.

Sportin, I was told by a reliable source that the “safety” stops were about to come to an end.

One year we were drawn on the Santee Delta West and something happened to the birds or dikes. We were notified we could either get our points back or be taken to the Santee Coastal Reserve.

We declined because of a wedding conflict and got our points back. Everybody else has a great hunt.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thunderchicken View Post
    Sportin, I was told by a reliable source that the “safety” stops were about to come to an end.
    Well I'll call bullshit on that rumor. Our govt is bloated and corrupt, bc it's government. Dnr is about meritless diversity hires and revenue collection. No hunting in this state has improved in the last 20 years, public or private. "Officers of the year" are decided by how many tickets they've written. It's all just kinda gross