Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Cut

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post
    It is likely due to the fact that the run of the mill sc duck hunter only gets to shoot at an actual duck every third or fourth hunt.

But not you guys. Everyone on here is cream of the crop for hunting and shooting, or so I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    The don't even try to learn fundamentals of shooting. Thats not done in the duck blind. Besides Decoying ducks is the more challenging part in SC, killing them is the easy part.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    U are making a huge assumption. Any idea the type of shots being taken to even have a chance at a duck. But hey you can make data say whatever you want it to say.
    That’s correct. I probably shot 15 or so times for seven ducks, but that included multiple water swats on dropped birds because it’s impossible to chase them in that pluff mud. If they wiggle, they get it again. Also, all but two ducks were shot passing. No one was shooting decoying birds.
    Last edited by Carolina Counsel; 01-09-2024 at 01:21 PM.
    Carolina Counsel

TSS.. they bring down high passing ducks, #9s. I've always shot Tungsten or bismuth on our draw hunts.. I shot 8 or 9 times Iast year. That 60 bucks was worth it.

Talk to me about the TSS you used? What brand? Do you choke like steel or lead?

I used chene that morning, and shot an auto also, imp cylinder.

Quote Originally Posted by Gander View Post
    Talk to me about the TSS you used? What brand? Do you choke like steel or lead?
    I killed 6 ringnecks with 2 shots with my over and under .410 before Christmas. 3/8 oz of TSS 9's at 1700fps handloads. Birds were at 45yds hence the multiple birds per shell.

Warning, don't try TSS in subgauges on waterfowl because you will never want to go back.
    Last edited by BRR; 01-09-2024 at 03:49 PM.

No worries, I don't own a sub gauge gun period. Unless you consider a carrier barrel with full length tubes but I ain't taking that to a duck blind. I am interested in trying some TSS to see what it can do on a tallish shot on ducks. I'll probably pick up a couple boxes of the Apex stuff I saw to put it to the test.

Quote Originally Posted by SCHUNTINFANATIC View Post
    I can tell you this, unless there is a big push in birds I would not waste my time. We hunted down there Dec 23 and killed 2 gwt, 1 shoveler and 1 blue goose between 4 people and we had to work for them. We chose to hunt until 11. One other group killed 6. The folks working the hunt didn’t even act like they wanted to be there and the place is a shit hole anymore. A lot of sky busting on the river.
    My experience a few years back was the opposite. Everyone was real chill, easy going and wet killed birds. Scouting report was grim until all the sudden a few days before the hunt they received an influx of wigeon and pintails. We killed a limit of gadwall, wigeon, pintails, and my buddy shot a shoveler.

You just never know what shows up. If you have a dog to retrieve birds bring him. That mud can be brutal.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    Last edited by willyworm; 01-10-2024 at 10:35 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

I hunted next door at Block Island for years. Just like any place, ducks are sometimes there or not. It is a beautiful area. Even if the ducks don't show, go enjoy the sunrise in one of the prettiest parts of the state.

at least you had a "doctor" near by in case someone got hurt
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Everyone was real chill, easy going and wet killed birds.
    "wet killed birds"? Is that when you shoot them on the water? haha
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

They got wet right after I squeezed my trigger.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Update: there was a lot of teal, some greys and mottled ducks but we only scratched 2 GW out of the 10 shells fired (one teal took 6 rounds to kill chasing her through the marsh). The other 4 misses were desperation shots on birds that snuck in (there was a lot of that-the conditions were horrible). 10 min before shooting light we had hundreds of teal dip in and out of the deeks, some as close as 5 yards. We’re weren’t where they wanted to be, but they all checked in before shooting time. Shooting time came and the damn shorebirds decided to rob us of every shooting opportunity until we picked up and moved to the X about 200 yds away. 20-30 west wind with limited amount of cover tall enough to conceal us made it almost impossible. The sun took care of the rest. We had more birds drop in that we could not see due to the sun than I can count. Started packing up at 1030 and 12 greys tried to sit on our face! That’s how it goes, but it was one that will be hard to forget with all those teal before legal. We could’ve grabbed half of them.

ETA: responding to the shooting ability comments… the tech that picked us up said he picked up one of his groups at 9 am and they had shot 40 shells and didn’t cut a feather. I believe I woulda given up at 9 too!
    Last edited by TXFowler; 01-13-2024 at 08:29 AM.