Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Cut

Default The Cut

We were drawn for BI Springfield next week. We hunted the East unit a few years back, should I expect similar conditions (water depth, cover, etc) for those that are familiar with both? Tried calling down there this week but I never got anyone to pick up.

They no longer hunt specific areas on certain days. You could be on west, east, cut or Springfield depending on best options. Don’t wait on birds or pass on teal

Shoot what you can for sure.

better hope we get a push of birds from the weather above us. shoot what comes your way
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

I can tell you this, unless there is a big push in birds I would not waste my time. We hunted down there Dec 23 and killed 2 gwt, 1 shoveler and 1 blue goose between 4 people and we had to work for them. We chose to hunt until 11. One other group killed 6. The folks working the hunt didn’t even act like they wanted to be there and the place is a shit hole anymore. A lot of sky busting on the river.

Daniel returned my call and told me the same. Said they scouted today and there are a good many holes holding lots of birds. We’ll see what this front does…

Quote Originally Posted by TXFowler View Post
    Daniel returned my call and told me the same. Said they scouted today and there are a good many holes holding lots of birds. We’ll see what this front does…
    Daniel was great with us as well. Called him before hunt and he fairly represented what we saw. Hunted early Dec and had heck of a shoot: Mottled, Pin tail, GW, mallard. 4 man limit by 9 then watched pin tails decoy until 11. Dont understand the negative comments.
    Last edited by head hunter; 01-08-2024 at 03:35 PM.

It's all about the hunt day. Our weather was good but there weren't many ducks. The average on the hunt the week before us and the hunt we went on was below 1.5 ducks per hunter. I killed six plus a bonus bird (quick draw on a pair of streaking mergies), but only two good ducks (that being teal, and both at close to daybreak). The limited big ducks were sky high with no interest in working. When we were dropped off and the guy told me "don't pass on the buffleheads," I knew I was in trouble. It was not a good hunt for anyone. Out of all the blinds, there were two mottleds, one greenhead, and fiveish teal.
    Carolina Counsel

Quote Originally Posted by head hunter View Post
    . Dont understand the negative comments.
    are you referring to negative comments about the hunting there or about the people? if it's the hunting comments then it's bc it depends on when you hunted there. It can literally change day to day down there.

Make sure you have a marsh stool and be prepared for the sucking mud. Last time we were there we had a great hunt.

I talked to Daniel this week as well. He said bird numbers were down in mid December as they historically are, but numbers are increasing and have produced some better hunts over the last 10 days. Based on the harvest reports posted online, it looks to me, that the biggest problem is poor shooting on the hunters behalf. On average it has taken the hunters drawn nearly 6 shots per duck killed! The new hunt strategy would be paying dividends if the average hunter drawn on these hunts could actually shoot a lil more accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by winyah_82 View Post
    I talked to Daniel this week as well. He said bird numbers were down in mid December as they historically are, but numbers are increasing and have produced some better hunts over the last 10 days. Based on the harvest reports posted online, it looks to me, that the biggest problem is poor shooting on the hunters behalf. On average it has taken the hunters drawn nearly 6 shots per duck killed! The new hunt strategy would be paying dividends if the average hunter drawn on these hunts could actually shoot a lil more accurately.
    U are making a huge assumption. Any idea the type of shots being taken to even have a chance at a duck. But hey you can make data say whatever you want it to say.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    U are making a huge assumption. Any idea the type of shots being taken to even have a chance at a duck. But hey you can make data say whatever you want it to say.
    The run of the mill sc duck hunter could quite possibly be of the worst wing shooters on earth.

Shoot your 5 model ducks and be done with it.

Quote Originally Posted by BRR View Post
    The run of the mill sc duck hunter could quite possibly be of the worst wing shooters on earth.
    It is likely due to the fact that the run of the mill sc duck hunter only gets to shoot at an actual duck every third or fourth hunt.

But not you guys. Everyone on here is cream of the crop for hunting and shooting, or so I’ve been told.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

That’s a load of crap right there.

Go have fun.

just bc its nasty out doesnt mean you have to be nasty, too.
    words hurt, you know.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by MolliesMaster View Post

But not you guys. Everyone on here is cream of the crop for hunting and shooting, or so I’ve been told.

Ha.

I was referring to this. I know for a fact this is crap. I suck at duck hunting.

mr scotch double
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

You rang