Thread: Fire Alarms

Default Fire Alarms

I am absolutely beat, dealing with residential fire alarms at my house.

Upstairs, I have 4 alarms, all hard wired. I have replaced these alarms or batteries in the past.

This week, one started chirping, I replaced the battery, chirping, replaced the battery again, chirping, replaced the alarm, chirping, replaced alarm again.
    Chirping.
    Pulled the fire alarm amd removed it. Now the next door one just started Chirping. Removed it and the third started chirping. Now they are all removed upstairs.

I am going to check the quick connect wiring tomorrow morning when there is enough light to shut off the breaker. The suspect alarm has been replaced three times, I can only assume something is up with the wiring.

After that I'm gonna just burn the house down and start over.

Try replacing the batteries in all the fire alarms. They are probably wired together, so when one goes off, they all do. I have played that game in the middle of the night before. Have learned to just replace all the batteries once one starts chirping.

Replace all smoke detectors every 10yrs. Replace all batteries once per year.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

The upstairs hardwired smoke detectors should be hard wired into the downstairs, when one goes off they all go off. Change them all.

Don't skimp on safety. We had a fire in our neighborhood at 2 a.m. New Years Eve day. It was a miracle that the family got out, all they had was the clothes on their back and lost everything.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Yep.
    Going to replace all batteries this morning in every one, upstairs and downstairs. Also replace the quick connect wiring on the one that seems to be the problem that I replaced 3 times this week.

You also need to test each detector to reset individual heads. Usually they will still chirp after battery replacement until tested.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunwannabe View Post
    The upstairs hardwired smoke detectors should be hard wired into the downstairs, when one goes off they all go off. Change them all.

Don't skimp on safety. We had a fire in our neighborhood at 2 a.m. New Years Eve day. It was a miracle that the family got out, all they had was the clothes on their back and lost everything.
    You live in 40love? I’m just one cove over in lakeport
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    now Hogan can fuck off on here all day and call it work, thanks!

Replace them all. The one in the hallway needs to be combination smoke and CO2 if you have attached garage and/or gas appliances.

Ideally, you should have battery back up in addition to the wired ones. CO detectors are a must if you have gas in the house. Some of these so called 10 year detectors are not lasting anywhere near that span of time.
    RIP Kelsey "Bigdawg" Cromer
    12-26-98 12-1-13

If love could have saved you, you would have lived forever.

Missing you my great friend.

Quote Originally Posted by mhogancu View Post
    You live in 40love? I’m just one cove over in lakeport
    Yes. 9 firetrucks responded. It was horrific.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Quote Originally Posted by LabLuvR View Post
    Ideally, you should have battery back up in addition to the wired ones. CO detectors are a must if you have gas in the house. Some of these so called 10 year detectors are not lasting anywhere near that span of time.
    Hardwired devices have a battery backup. Most 9V but now you can get them with sealed 10 yr batteries. Most of the devices do not last 10 years with out maintenance.

Well, I am back up and operating.
    I hesitate to use the word "solved" bc I have no idea why they work the way they do.
    I replaced all five upstairs units after trying to replace all their batteries.
    The new units are hardwired and have the internal 10-year battery.
    I have a separate co2 alarm with new batteries.

Quote Originally Posted by DJP View Post
    Well, I am back up and operating.
    I hesitate to use the word "solved" bc I have no idea why they work the way they do.
    I replaced all five upstairs units after trying to replace all their batteries.
    The new units are hardwired and have the internal 10-year battery.
    I have a separate co2 alarm with new batteries.
    They really only like to go off around 2am for you to check them.
    We tell people replace the battery every time the time changes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk