Thread: Gravel Driveway

Default Gravel Driveway

Getting ready to build a new driveway. I've studied others in the area, and been pondering this for a while.

Its in coastal SC, Charleston County. I have about a 100' section that I have to cross that stays pretty damp. It has about 12" of topsoil and organics before I get to a clay. The clay is not the most solid but it stops the shovel and I can tell when I've hit it and I know that is where I need to start. Here are my options, question is which will fair better since I need to build this spot back up over a foot. I'm probably over thinking the whole thing, but its a substantial investment

1: Dig it out to clay, put in 6-8" of #2 stone, then 57's, then crush n run.

2: dig it out to clay, lay geotextile fabric, then add 6" of road grade fill dirt, then #4 or 57 stone topped with crush n run. (this is the route I had planned due to the dirt being cheaper than gravel, but I'm open to either)

I will have drainage ditch on both sides, and 2 culverts to divert the water down to a creek. Its through an old pasture that will be a homesite. Once I get up past that initial 100' its good high ground with only 6" of topsoil and organics. I'm much more confident on my abilities once I get out of the damp area.

This will mostly be built using Nucor Slag stones.
    Last edited by Fireman; 01-01-2024 at 02:44 PM.

Over dig the ditches you are putting in to get the good clay. Backfill with the clay and put topsoil that you pulled out of road back in to grade ditches. Basically flip your dirt. You will obviously still need some sort of stone base and possibly some geo fabric but this will save you money on materials. If money is no factor give it hell with the stone.

Do you have access to recycled concrete ?

Quote Originally Posted by Swift Strike View Post
    Do you have access to recycled concrete ?
    Its not impossible, but tough to get hands on it here. It comes out of N. Charleston and has a pretty good transport cost out to my place in Awendaw. Nucor is closest to the property and cuts down quite a bit on transportation costs for the slag.

The clay in this area will get soft every time it gets a good soaking. If you don't get it out it will become spongy when wet. I'm not a professional but thats based on my personal experience. That clay is hard as rock until its wet, then its the nastiest stuff there is. I would dig it out, fill with good dirt and then put slag fines on top of it. The fines will practically turn to concrete once it sets up. Whatever you do don't use slag for the fill/base layer as anything larger than fines will not compact and will constantly move. I have several contacts in the area that are good people and are professionals that can help.

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    Its not impossible, but tough to get hands on it here. It comes out of N. Charleston and has a pretty good transport cost out to my place in Awendaw. Nucor is closest to the property and cuts down quite a bit on transportation costs for the slag.
    Martin Marietta in Jamestown has #4 stone as well as flbc. I'd avoid slag at all cost.
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

What I see used in wetland areas is 3” to 6” ditch stone as a base. Then smaller such as 57 or crusher run put on top of that. It will fill in the big voids and be smooth. Heavy equipment uses these roadways in it holds up reallly well.

Proper drainage along with good compaction of subsoil and stone base are paramount.
    I had an ant farm once......them fellas didn't grow shit.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksmoker View Post
    What I see used in wetland areas is 3” to 6” ditch stone as a base. Then smaller such as 57 or crusher run put on top of that. It will fill in the big voids and be smooth. Heavy equipment uses these roadways in it holds up reallly well.
    Only way to go if you want it to hold up ... And put a vibratory compactor on it to shake it together.