Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2024 Polar Vortex?

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    Dude that’s not terrible out there unless the wind is blowing Mach 2.
    Don’t worry. Wind chills will be near 40 below this weekend. The wind hasn’t been less than 15 since we arrived. Tuesday we had multiple gust of 70+ with sustained above 30

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”
    --John Madson, The Mallard, 1960

"Never trust a duck hunter who cares more about his success than his dog's."

Folks that have never experienced cold like that just don't understand. I'm not looking forward to next week and I'll be a long ways South of you.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Default 2024 Polar Vortex?

These views put my front and back door make up for the cold. Looking forward to May through November.

Last edited by duckcommander727; 01-10-2024 at 10:02 PM.
    “… duckhunting stands alone as an outdoor discipline. It has a tang and spirit shared by no other sport—a philosophy compounded of sleet, the winnow of unseen wings, and the reeks of marsh mud and wet wool. No other sport has so many theories, legends, casehardened disciples and treasured memories.”

Gorgeous country!

Never seen speed goats feeding in a disc golf course before, amazing how adaptable animals are to man.

As a kid growing up in MI I jumped off second story balconies into 10' of snow. Saw -40 and still went ice fishing. It was just the way of life, my blood has gotten thin after 40 years in the South.
    Listen to your elders. Not because they are always right but because they have more experiences of being wrong.

"We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give" Sir Winston Churchill

Going to be cold down south next week too. Just not that cold
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Been waiting all week to hear bomb cyclone and polar vortex on TV or net. On TV last night. We used to call them cold fronts not scary made up words.
    Last edited by centurian; 01-11-2024 at 08:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I see some of us are using made-up words from the climate crisis crowd.

And WTF is this business about “saving” your duck season. You live is SC, bo. You need to see a psychiatrist.
    Spoiler alert. All words are made up.

perspective, old FISH monger.

going from a guaranteed three wood duck morning....to a hopeful wood duck and a couple of teal....to 8 gadwall and four fully toed mallards the next weekend is "saving a duck season." TO ME

so go be a dick on a fishing website. I heard someone didnt tie a knot right. Go chastise them.

you big meanie

(yes, its far more likely I post stupid shit like this on a thursday)

hey glenn!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I'm not fond of this winter. We need some more 60ish to 70ish degree days thrown in there.. big warm fronts bringing rain don't count.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I heard someone didnt tie a knot right. Go chastise them.
    !
    Was the knot securing a crawfish trap?
    A Nation of Sheep Breeds a Government of Wolves!

Wind chill is going to be -40 tonight and tomorrow night. These views out my back door and watching 30 pronghorn eat just outside my back fence makes it worth it though

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    Spoiler alert. All words are made up.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    perspective, old FISH monger.
    Sorry I didn't see this earlier.

Glenn, I'll change the wording of that post from "made-up" to bullshit. How's that?

And 2oof, shut up.

Here's the argument and the necessary documentation.

The first climate alarmist showed up in 1957.

https://www.livescience.com/humans-f...climate-change

"The first, led by scientist Roger Revelle (1909-1991) in 1957 and published in the journal Tellus, found that the ocean will not absorb all of the carbon dioxide released in humanity's industrial..."

And as part of creating the climate crisis narrative, they must add words to our vocabulary. In this case, the word polar vortex emerged the following year.

https://www.climate.gov/news-feature...ar-vortex-blog

"The short answer is no, there is no long-term (1958-present day) change in the strength of the polar vortex as measured by the zonal winds at 60N and 10 mb. However, …"

More -

How is the Polar Vortex Linked to Climate Change? (treehugger.com)

"For the Central and Eastern United States, this has been a particularly brutal winter. Fargo, North Dakota has seen sub-zero temperatures since February 5, The Washington Post reported, while New York City has gotten hit with around 22 inches of snow since Jan. 31.

And it isn’t letting up any time soon. The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA) predicts that temperatures in many parts of the lower 48 states will be 25 to 45 degrees below normal through Wednesday and that many places will see record lows before that date.1 The cold has extended as far south as Texas. Over the weekend and into Monday, an "unprecedented" winter storm has left millions without power in Texas and is creating chaos across a wide path of the central and southern states due to what the National Weather Service has called an “impressive onslaught of wicked wintry weather.”

Climate deniers have often used cold winter weather to argue against the idea that industrial society is heating the planet through the burning of fossil fuels. In one infamous example, Sen. James Inhofe (R-OK) brought a snowball onto the Senate floor to argue against the reality of global warming.

Such arguments fundamentally confuse weather (temporary fluctuations) and climate (long-term trends).3 But, counterintuitively, extreme wintry weather can actually be a sign of climate change.

For one thing, a warmer atmosphere holds more moisture, which makes heavy precipitation more likely. When the temperature is cold enough, that precipitation can fall as snow instead of rain.4

“If you can get a moisture source and these storms come through, they are more likely to have more intense precipitation,” Dr. Brenda Ekwurzel, director of climate science and a senior climate scientist at the Union of Concerned Scientists, told Treehugger in an interview. The other reason is more complicated and involves the phenomenon forecasters have come to refer to as the polar vortex."

https://www.treehugger.com/polar-vor...change-5112639

In the article above, they try to rationalize how cold air is part of global warming. Which is complete bullshit. By that rational, everything points to greenhouse gas creation and climate change.

The link below is an article where this Ekwurzel wacko expresses her admiration and hero worship for that retarded bitch, Greta Thunberg.

https://blog.ucsusa.org/brenda-ekwur...s-inspires-me/

Also, I agree with HS.

It's dumping snow in Boone, going to get really cold tomorrow.

I'm heading back west on Sunday until the end of duck season ... I try not to get my hopes up, but I'm optimistic with what I'm seeing.