Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is This Boyds Stock "Salvageable"?

Default Is This Boyds Stock "Salvageable"?

Let me preface the post with this: I know all wood laminates aren't created equal.

Having said that, how much work would it take to un-fuck this minty-green mess that arrived in the mail today?

I'm assuming I'd have to lightly sand, rub in a light brown stain over the entire stock, and then tape off the metal, remove the plastic, and spray on some polyurethane?

Another idea is not to sand and see if brown shoe polish will make its way into the finish.

I'm EXTREMELY tempted to pack it up & return it because I surely didn't expect WTF I got. However, I'd have to wait another 8 weeks for a replacement that may be just as bad, or worse...

Any woodworkers got some insight???

1st pic: Boyds website pic (Forest Camo)
    2nd pic: my minty disappointment
    3rd pic: expected color (same lighting, distance, & angle)

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Just send it back

Oh yeah that's bad. It took eight weeks?
    Quote Originally Posted by walt4dun View Post
    Monsters... Be damned if I'd ever be taken alive by the likes of faggot musslims.
    Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I am an equal opportunity hater.

Quote Originally Posted by willk View Post
    Oh yeah that's bad. It took eight weeks?
    Not quite. More like 5, but it came early. It was originally expected to ship on Jan 8th.

Who knows the turn-around time on a replacement? And would I even ATTEMPT the Forest Camo color scheme?

Last edited by USMCsilver; 11-30-2023 at 09:30 PM.

Only thing that will hide that is paint. Look at their other 103 color combinations and see which one they sent by mistake. I would not accept that.

Stain won’t take well on that type of stock wood. That wood is dyed before being laminated. You cannot strip it off. The glues inpregnate the wood making very stable and the color is set. Paint it or send it back.

If a man is alone in the woods, says something, and a woman does not hear, is he still wrong?

Bipartisan usually means that a larger-than-usual deception is being carried out. —George Carlin

Common sense is not a gift. It's a punishment because you have to deal with everyone else who doesn't have it.

Quote Originally Posted by CurLee View Post
    Only thing that will hide that is paint. Look at their other 103 color combinations and see which one they sent by mistake. I would not accept that.
    They actually only have about 14...

https://www.boydsgunstocks.com/gallery#colors

This shit I got ain't even close to anything they advertise.

I think someone was high on some sorta fumes when this garbage was created.

Nope I’d send that candy cane looking thing back
    I am a nobody, that met somebody, that can save anybody.

I’d send it back, make sure I triple-checked all fine print (“Color may not exactly match the pictures on our web site…”), and possibly look for a better brand.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Quote Originally Posted by mello_collins View Post
    Stain won’t take well on that type of stock wood. That wood is dyed before being laminated. You cannot strip it off. The glues inpregnate the wood making very stable and the color is set. Paint it or send it back.
    Thanks.

I'm all about a good, fun project, but if my ideas won't work, I guess I'll just return it.

I paid too much just to paint over their shitty QC.

You got about 10 days to figure it out and 30 days to get an RMA. Hopefully they'll let you return it without a restocking fee.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodieSC View Post
    I’d send it back, make sure I triple-checked all fine print (“Color may not exactly match the pictures on our web site…”), and possibly look for a better brand.
    Well - the awesome thing is that I didn't order from Boyds. Their fine print makes me believe I'd be paying return shipping PLUS a 12% restocking fee.

I got it from Optics Planet. Had a coupon, some OP Bucks, and free shipping.

I emailed them pictures and expressed my dissatisfaction. I'm 99% sure they cover return shipping (or at least in this case they would).

The bad thing is I had originally ordered Pepper color, with plans to Cerekote the metal a titanium color. Then I ran across some bronzed shades metal in the Forest Camo stock, and I called OP to see if it was too late to change my order. They didn't have a problem with it since the fulfillment ETA was so long.

Shoulda kept the Pepper... The replacement will be Pepper. Hopefully Boyds can't fuck that up too badly.

Oh, in regards to another vendor - impossible. I'd have to go full-retard on a custom job, as NOBODY makes aftermarket stocks for a Tikka M695 (except for Boyds).

I have a forest camp stock from Boyd’s. It matches to the website pictures. You got a fucked up one and someone in quality said ship it.

Your ideas won’t work. You’d have to sand deep and even then probably wouldn’t get to a workable color. Laminates stocks are in essence plywood. The “hardwoods” used are typically low grade, straight grain cast offs of poplar, oak, hickory etc that are resin infused with stains. That one almost looks like a few pieces from one of their other options got mixed in and wasn’t caught by QC.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    I have a forest camp stock from Boyd’s. It matches to the website pictures. You got a fucked up one and someone in quality said ship it.
    I'm curious - if you feel the relief groove where the bolt recesses into, is it smooth & finished, or jagged and kinda "in the raw"?

Also, how do the overmold grips fit? These honestly fit like shit. I don't know if this is their SOP, or if I got a Friday @5 holiday weekend rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    That one almost looks like a few pieces from one of their other options got mixed in and wasn’t caught by QC.
    The sad part is, there's nothing "minty" on the site. This isn't really even close to their zombie green, which makes even less sense.

The bolt handle slot is smooth on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by Smilee View Post
    The bolt handle slot is smooth on mine.
    Yeah, mine looks & feels like a 2nd grade SPED student accidentally stepped into woodworking shop by mistake, grabbed a coarse rasp, and went to town on that MOFO.

I don't even have my barreled action to see how well it might fit. Still waiting on threading to be done.

Last edited by USMCsilver; 11-30-2023 at 11:51 PM.

These camo patterns can be tricky. When I bought my little girl her first savage, I was the asshole that made the guy bring 4 boxes out because I knew they all looked different.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ_11 View Post
    These camo patterns can be tricky. When I bought my little girl her first savage, I was the asshole that made the guy bring 4 boxes out because I knew they all looked different.
    Weren't those Savages sold in the Zombie scheme?

My buddy bought one for his daughter.

Lime is better than mint; but I would have accepted that, either.