Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Inches = One Mile

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I've hunted most of that map, but every few years they would stack above Pine Island, Snake Creek, and Mill Creek in that tall timber. I've watched them pitch in flocks of 500 at a time. Things got ugly.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I didn't see any. That was way back before that Columbia lawyer stole all the duck.

Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-28-2023 at 07:42 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    That map isn't as accurate today as it was when it was drawn.

A lot of those "lakes" have been choked wall to wall with hyacinth for 20 years.

Cutgrass has infiltrated the swamp and some runs are choked out.
    What I am talking about. What is the same as it was back then. You was a kid
    Gettin old is for pussies! AND MY NEW TRUE people say like Capt. Tom >>>>>>>>>/
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    I've hunted most of that map, but every few years they would stack above Pine Island, Snake Creek, and Mill Creek in that tall timber. I've watched them pitch in flocks of 500 at a time. Things got ugly.

I am with you. We camped at the old Sparkelberry Landing.
    "Wow, often imitated but never duplicated. No one can do it like the master. My hat is off to you DRDUCK!"

Default Two Inches = One Mile

I have the colored version and my wife had it framed for me last Christmas.
    Last edited by scmoose; 11-29-2023 at 08:12 AM.

sumter lawyer

lets try not to bring columbia down like that....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

I spent the night around the corner from you Monday night. Nonstop sireens. Police, ambulances, firetrucks. All night long in every direction. There isn't any bringing Columbia down. Sherman could come do some renovations...

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I spent the night around the corner from you Monday night. Nonstop sireens. Police, ambulances, firetrucks. All night long in every direction. There isn't any bringing Columbia down. Sherman could come do some renovations...
    Sherman is and was a cocksucker.

Columbia is and will likely always be a shit hole.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I half ass knew this was going to happen, several have messaged me about the map. The original-colored copy came from sparkleberry.com, they however no longer seem to be a thing. I'm not sure where another color version can be purchased.
    Last edited by scmoose; 11-29-2023 at 09:35 AM.

The Cooper's aren't hard to find. Holler at JTC and ask before you go reproducing their work in this day and age...

https://jhcooper.com

I had a copy of the original "logging tram-road" survey map that showed every tram road in the Swamp overlayed on, basically that same "Sparkleberry Map". The survey was done by the original logging company way back when. I left the damn thing at my old rental house right before I got married. Still pissed about that.

The map was a copy I made from a some kind of fishing magazine that had Rowland Martin on the cover and was kept in the USC Thomas Cooper Library basement "map room". If anybody used to go there and remembers old Ross Taylor that ran the map room, he may be able to locate that thing somehow. As far as I know, he still runs the "map room".

I think it’s more for posterity and memories of his youth than accuracy.
    (got some EXCELLENT stories, as I’m sure many of you do)
    Still frequents the area for day cruises and camping trips regularly, but has long since retired from the hunting game.

Thanks for all of the examples, suggestions and insight fellas.

“Muh butts been wiped.” TheBigGuy
    “Poor kids are just as bright and talented as white kids.” PedoPete, Esq.
    “Let’s go Brandon, I agree!” former Vice President Joe Biden
    “Shower time, Ashley.” NotAndyTaylor

I sure wish I had a map like that back in the late 70's early 80's. All we knew was the license plates on the tree's

Quote Originally Posted by scmoose View Post
    I half ass knew this was going to happen, several have messaged me about the map. The original-colored copy came from sparkleberry.com, they however no longer seem to be a thing. I'm not sure where another color version can be purchased.
    rp?

Quote Originally Posted by triplebeard View Post
    rp?
    No

Probably because the owners of the original took exception to their shit being pirated. Just a guess.

Anyone know how I could get a good aerial photo of the lake before it was flooded? I have tried just about everything. I am sure santee cooper has one but I can’t get anyone to help.

Quote Originally Posted by santee11 View Post
    Anyone know how I could get a good aerial photo of the lake before it was flooded? I have tried just about everything. I am sure santee cooper has one but I can’t get anyone to help.
    If you physically go to the USC map library you can pull the aerials for each county, most have 1937, 1938, or 1939 years. I did a quick search on their website and it looks like at least the Orangeburg side has 1937s.

Below is a 1937 "Index" for that portion of Oburg county. You could pull each individual "sheet" in person for much better resolution and then scan it or take a photo, etc.

Their website is here: https://sc.edu/about/offices_and_div...maps/index.php

Or you can order an Aerial Photo "package", to your desired scale, with somebody like EDR, Inc. (Environmental Data Resources). I use them all the time for work, pretty good quality photos in most cases, depending the desired scale.

https://www.lightboxre.com/product/e...aerial-photos/

Oburg 1937 index.jpg

Those pesky ohions were scouting out places to build vinyl villages way back then it appears.
    Miner's Daughter's Coal Train 'Rosco'

"The only human quality he lacks is speech" -Alfred Brehm