Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New WMA opportunities

According to the statistics there’s a lot less. There is a lot less land to hunt so the hunters are being condensed.

Quote Originally Posted by scquackaddict View Post
    I agree with that. Just make it the same as private land. Most of the public land we have is overrun with pigs and very little is being done to manage them.
    sure they are.

They have state paid “trappers” and helicopters.
    Last i counted it cost over 250$ per pig for the state to kill it. MORONs
    Windows Down!

I cant find anything on Coosawatchie WMA. Where the hell is that

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Don’t mind it but what would it take for states to start pushing feds for a 3 bird, 30 day season? If we don’t slow things down, my kids won’t get to hunt ducks. The pimping of the resource is unreal. Good job working on Ramsey, the area needs it.
    Do you have any data that backs up your opinion? Far as the experts can tell the dates and limits are adequate to sustain each species. Individual species may ebb and flow, but all in all that ship usually rights itself.

Make no mistake, duck numbers on the continent of North America are just fine, they just don't migrate to SC like they once did. There's gonna be plenty left for your kids.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Delta in a nutshell: Breeding grounds + small wetlands + big blocks of grass cover + predator removal + nesting structures + enough money to do the job= plenty of ducks to keep everyone smiling!

"For those that will fight for it...FREEDOM...has a flavor the protected shall never know."
    -L/Cpl Edwin L. "Tim" Craft

Quote Originally Posted by willyworm View Post
    Do you have any data that backs up your opinion? Far as the experts can tell the dates and limits are adequate to sustain each species. Individual species may ebb and flow, but all in all that ship usually rights itself.

Make no mistake, duck numbers on the continent of North America are just fine, they just don't migrate to SC like they once did. There's gonna be plenty left for your kids.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
    I don’t live in SC anymore. I see firsthand the pimping of the resource. Fields and woods getting hunted or rode every single day. No rest. Holding a bunch of birds weeks before the season and gone by the opener. I also do see the data. Data not published because the organizations and people that lobby for duck hunting don’t want to lose money. It’s all about money nothing more, nothing less. Just like the bs that flooding the woods in November kills trees so WMAs don’t flood early but neighboring private floods the same. November water doesn’t kill trees. March, April, and May water does. Duck numbers are declining. Migrations are short stopping but numbers are dropping. Duck hunting is too big of a business that won’t slow until there are no birds left to hunt.
    For the ducks

Quote Originally Posted by Duck Tape View Post
    Ramsey Grove has been a well managed source of habitat in the region for years. The state ended up with the property when SCANA was sold.

PRT became the custodian and had no interest in the impoundments. They were going to make the whole place a campground. Several of us fought hard to continue the management of the impoundments. We forged out a memorandum of understanding allowing DNR to manage the hunting and PRT to create a campground..

The previous waterfowl manager was made a consultant to DNR. He gave a written plan and advice to DNR who did a great job with the first year of management. I secured $500k recurring funds to help. I visited the site and saw the success of their hard work.

The same hunting methods will be followed as they were in previous years. Ramsey is primarily a roost. For years it has been hunted from the dikes. By quietly slipping into specific locations on the intricate dike system, hunters have taken advantage of shooting the flush. People with disabilities will have a unique opportunity. Youth can be introduced to duck hunting.

The site will continue to provide a roost with excellent food while the occasional hunting will disperse birds to benefit the region.

Bitesize, we all share your frustration. I will continue to work for conservation, preservation, and management for the benefit of waterfowl and the sportsman the only way I know how.
    I need to make a retraction. While I saw plants growing early summer, from my recent inspection I was wrong. The army worms ate the millet. Corn is almost non-existent. Rice is fair at best. Birds will show up and likely still roost because it is flooded but there is less that 1/3 of the usual food.
    Either write things worth reading, or do things worth writing.

Quote Originally Posted by pluffmudder View Post
    I cant find anything on Coosawatchie WMA. Where the hell is that
    That was a typo it does not exist.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

I need to make a retraction. While I saw plants growing early summer, from my recent inspection I was wrong. The army worms ate the millet. Corn is almost non-existent. Rice is fair at best. Birds will show up and likely still roost because it is flooded but there is less that 1/3 of the usual food.
    DNR failed as usual.
    The birds will be across the river

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    That was a typo it does not exist.
    I would just really appreciate if SCDNR actually provided useful information on their website. Also, is it so much to ask to put stuff on the website where it makes sense? A child could design a website that could be navigated more sensibly than that trash.

Quote Originally Posted by ceddy View Post
    Holding a bunch of birds weeks before the season and gone by the opener.
    So where are all the bunches of birds going before opening day? Are they pimped out before season starts?

I also do not live in SC anymore - Just genuinely curious as to what's being pimped? Seems like nobody really loves their states DNR but the DNR (especially on the east half of the country) manages such limited lands/water that I can't really see how public land is a cornerstone to waterfowl management. Especially in SC. Sure public waterbodies are packed with hunters - but in SC they're also packed with bass boats and wakebording boats.

Side note: please hurry up and ban tamie ponds in SC. They're breeding out the east coasts black ducks and wild mallards.... that's what I see is being pimped.
    "Hunt today to kill tomorrow." - Ron Jolly

right. bc shit doesnt stink in NC.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

DT - What makes Ramsey Grove a roost that we must accept as such?

Cover can be changed to deter this.

Also, is there a possibility of some impoundments (I count 10) being planted early in millet to provide open access teal hunting in September? Walk in only?

I'd hate the idea of yet another tidewater property being propped on a pedestal and kept from the public when we could get much more usage.

A simple onX search shows me that it could be a great early bluewing site, open to the public.

Thoughts?
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post

Also, is there a possibility of some impoundments (I count 10) being planted early in millet to provide open access teal hunting in September? Walk in only?

I'd hate the idea of yet another tidewater property being propped on a pedestal and kept from the public when we could get much more usage.

A simple onX search shows me that it could be a great early bluewing site, open to the public.

Thoughts?
    It’s been planted for years! I’m not sure why it can’t be planted now?

Conservation means the wise use of the earth and its resources for the lasting good of men. -Gifford Pinchot

The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it. -Thomas Jefferson

The very existence of flame-throwers proves that some time, somewhere, someone said to themselves, You know, I want to set those people over there on fire, but I'm just not close enough to get the job done.

Quote Originally Posted by Quackhead22 View Post
    It’s been planted for years! I’m not sure why it can’t be planted now?

I'm not doubting it was planted while it was a playground for SCANA's big wigs.

I'm wondering why it has to be designated solely for 3-5 youth and handicapped hunters only.

My question was if the property could be open for teal season to the general public.

For years I've inquired as to why tidewater state properties aren't open to the public, given that many of them host thousands of unhunted bluewings during the September season.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Thoughts?
    I believe the former manager tried everything to switch from roost to feeding. He said it never worked. It seems like thin planted would help. He felt very strongly about keeping it thick because of all the public hunting beside the dikes.

This is the first year DNR took over. They got the former managers written management plan. Corn, millet and rice with a smattering of smartweed.

Deer ate the corn. Army worms ate the millet. Rice was mostly stalk. DNR had a disabled and youth hunt that was good. They were out of food quick.

I believe the former manager tried everything to switch from roost to feeding. He said it never worked. It seems like thin planted would help. He felt very strongly about keeping it thick because of all the public hunting beside the dikes.

This is the first year DNR took over. They got the former managers written management plan. Corn, millet and rice with a smattering of smartweed.

Deer ate the corn. Army worms ate the millet. Rice was mostly stalk. DNR had a disabled and youth hunt that was good. They were out of food quick.

You and I both know thin planting works on roosting ducks.
    I have no problems with youth and the disabled being able to hunt there.

I have issue with the property being another under utilized tax payer funded tidewater plantation.

We should take advantage of what we have.
    Bluewings are an under utilized resource in this state and our very own DNR managed properties hold thousands of these birds that never get hunted.

Why can't we hunt them on Cat 1 properties? Why do I have to bring this simple idea to DNR?

You and I both know thin planting works on roosting ducks.
    Keeping it dry for a year or two would solve the roosting problem.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Flooding too early causes grain and stalks to rot??? Moist soil management maybe not???

I think the locals like the setup now. Roost and fly out in the morning so they can shoot them.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post
    Keeping it dry for a year or two would solve the roosting problem.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Wall to Wall corn with thick sesbania is prime roost habitat. I'm certainly no authority, but I've been around long enough to comfortably say, ducks don't roost in foot-flooded millet.

I think the locals like the setup now. Roost and fly out in the morning so they can shoot them.
    I respect that. I just think with 10 impoundments, planting 2-3 impoundments for teal season and allowing walk in access isn't too much to ask from the people that are now paying for the property.