Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Cost of Deck rebuild

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    Surely you see the irony? And Philip used that line in another thread (about Clemp butt-hurt, shockingly) a few days ago. You gotta allow for a "cool-off" period before regurgitating other people's stuff.
    I don’t know about another thread. I do know they’re a lot of jealous bitches in this one. I respond on threads a lot less these days. See I work 60, 70, 80hrs a week so I can afford nice shit like deer rifles, fishing stuff, boats. I didn’t go to school, bust my ass all these years and learn skills others don’t possess to be poor or live paycheck to paycheck. If momma wants the Benz, momma gets the Benz. I also don’t mind reaping the rewards of taking risks and setting myself up for success. Clients see everything I do on paper before they sign a contract, it’s their choice.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Case in point. Yikes.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    I don’t know about another thread. I do know they’re a lot of jealous bitches in this one. I respond on threads a lot less these days. See I work 60, 70, 80hrs a week so I can afford nice shit like deer rifles, fishing stuff, boats. I didn’t go to school, bust my ass all these years and learn skills others don’t possess to be poor or live paycheck to paycheck. If momma wants the Benz, momma gets the Benz. I also don’t mind reaping the rewards of taking risks and setting myself up for success. Clients see everything I do on paper before they sign a contract, it’s their choice.
    Preach
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

i sure am glad I'm not a contractor.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Agreed. I'd get tired of having to "preach" all the time.
    Last edited by Black Bart; 11-16-2023 at 08:03 AM.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Site unseen between $6,500-$8,500. To reframe and deck.

I just built a dock and have $47k in it. I paid a contractor to drive pylons and framed everything myself.

4ft x 230ft walkway
    16ft x 16ft pier head
    22ft aluminum ramp
    8ft x 20ft floating dock

10in x 25/30ft pylons in river
    4x6x16ft poles through wetland

Best quote I got was $140k
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 11-16-2023 at 08:27 AM.

^^ daily dose of perspective.

If your doing pylons, I would est. $120 per sqft

If 4x6 poles, closer $90- 100 per sqft

This is based on numbers I’ve seen recently.
    Last edited by BrandonWagner; 11-16-2023 at 08:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i sure am glad I'm not a contractor.
    must suck to get picked on about your profession's reputation
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Boduke View Post
    ^^ daily dose of perspective.
    I'm not saying there isn't a large amount of profit built in to the quotes he received, but he had the means, know how and time to do the majority of that job himself, which is great. Saved a ton. If you don't have the means, know how and time to do that job and you have to hire a reputable dock builder with 10 guys on payroll, $75K annual insurance bill, equipment overhead and a material quote that's only good for 2 weeks for a job that may not start for 2 months, it's not all it's cracked up to be. The contractor is still carrying risk and could very easily lose on a job like that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Huntin Ace View Post
    You are exactly right sc sportsman

Oh I agree, the contractor has to cover his ass for sure. Good on Brandon for knowing his capabilities and framing it himself.

But an 18k wheel chair ramp doesn't sound too bad compared to a 140k dock.

I'm going to have to pony up here before long and get my bulkhead redone. 75ft at what probably 450$ a foot now?

These construction threads are always enjoyable.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Yep, lots of "experts" in here.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    My favorite part of threads like this, regardless of profession, is person A justifying their charges while complaining what person B charges for their services.

Case in point, the contractor who is a client complaining what we charge for "just a dog" like my wife doesn't "deserve a Benz" too.

Yep, lots of "experts" in here.
    everyone here is an expert in everything. never bothers anyone until it happens to be the particular topic that they believe they are the expert in.

pro tip: comment least on the one's you know the most about.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    My favorite part of threads like this, regardless of profession, is person A justifying their charges while complaining what person B charges for their services.

Case in point, the contractor who is a client complaining what we charge for "just a dog" like my wife doesn't "deserve a Benz" too.
    You charge what your services are worth. Casey does deserve a Benz though, she has to put up with you.

You charge what your services are worth. Casey does deserve a Benz though, she has to put up with you.
    Ain't that the truth!

As a capitalist, I dont care if a business makes as much profit as the market allows. I just dont want to pay anymore than I have to for a service I can do myself.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    must suck to get picked on about your profession's reputation
    empathy > sympathy
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.