Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: School Me on Deer Rifles

It all depends on what your budget is, and what your future hunting plans may include. If you want start out at the basic end, tooth's advice will get you going for general SC deer hunting.

If you really think you're going to get the itch for a "nicer rifle and clearer, longer range optics", and possibly future elk hunts, et al, and budget is not a big issue at the present time, step up now and go with something like a Bergara or Sako in .308 with the threaded barrel for a future suppressor, and something like a Leupold VX-5 with the Firedot, or a Schmidt & Bender or Swarovski Z6 with the illuminated center dot, like Saltydog mentions.

Either way, get a good sling, nice binoculars, a good hunting/skinning knife, a day pack, first aid kit, and have a great time.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

Remington 700 in any of these cartridges.

30-06, .270, 7mm-08

I've got a cheap Vortex scope I think its the 3-9x50 crossfire 2

The scope is okay. If you turn the reticle illuminator on it blinds you, so I just don't use it. The one time I turned it on I thought the knob was going to take my fingerprints off.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    That’s what a guy says when his wife won’t let him buy another gun
    You've developed a mean steak.

You been hanging out with Tater?

30.06 or 270 will kill anything in the US. No need to go crazy with special calibers.

Quote Originally Posted by Huntinjunkie View Post
    Rifle don't matter as much as the scope
    I would agree with this and also add getting qualified mounts & rings

I personally like to my savage rifles with the accu-trigger. Keeps me from anticipating the shot which I am prone to do with other guns.

Funny you say that. I Superglued my Ruger trigger all the way back. I hate a bladed trigger.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I would argue that rifle doesn't really matter but finding which ammo the rifle likes is a huge deal. Doesnt matter the scope if you are just going to have fliers every couple shots. A ton of people like Federal Fusion bullets but my Savage would not shoot them at all. Even had a buddy try with my rifle and it was just not a good combo. Get a common caliber and a few boxes of ammo. Figure out which one it shoots the best then go buy several of those boxes.

I'd rather have an inexpensive rifle platform of any caliber and then buy the best glass in the world.
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

When I hunted a lot, I kept good records.

Over 90% of my shots were less than 100 yds.

My longest shot was 454 yds.

I shot a Browning BAR 30.06 with 150 gr Sierra boat tail bullets. I had a Leupold 3-9 scope.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 11-13-2023 at 02:36 PM.

Go ahead and contact Steelin to get you a suppressor on order.

Quote Originally Posted by trkykilr View Post
    Bergara .308
    Bergers
    Leupold VX-5
    This right here minus the bergers. The B14 is a great rifle for the money and the factory trigger is pretty damn good. I’d get it in 30-06, throw one of the new vx3hd 4.5-14x50 twilight hunters on it and shoot that Norma hunting round that’s dirt cheap.

Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    You've developed a mean steak.

You been hanging out with Tater?
    Haven’t seen tater in a while, I talked to Tot last week though.
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Haven’t seen tater in a while, I talked to Tot last week though.
    That explains it.

https://www.facebook.com/reel/346594...ibextid=9drbnH

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    This right here minus the bergers. The B14 is a great rifle for the money and the factory trigger is pretty damn good. I’d get it in 30-06, throw one of the new vx3hd 4.5-14x50 twilight hunters on it and shoot that Norma hunting round that’s dirt cheap.
    Ty told me to shoot Bergers and he kills a lot of shit, so I shoot Bergers. I’ve killed all the shit I’ve shot with them and they’ve all been really dead
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

I have an old 700 from my early teens chambered in a 30-06 that had a simmons on it for fifteen years. I killed a lot of deer with it before I knew it was an embarrassing cheaper line scope.

Most of the time I carry a BLR chambered in a 30-06.. I'm carrying it because I'm consciously not sitting in an area where I won't shoot over 150 yards, and it's pretty. I'm not completely fond of it's trigger, but I'm just pinning shoulders.
    Last edited by Highstrung; 11-13-2023 at 04:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I have an old 700 from my early teens chambered in a 30-06 that had a simmons on it for fifteen years. I killed a lot of deer with it before I knew it was an embarrassing cheaper line scope.
    Had one on a .300 Wby back in college. It was fine for while, I’ve never had a catastrophic scope failure like that one when it let go though. Reticle was at about 60 degrees, spring in the elevation turret broke and the front lense would spin. You could shake it and hear a rattle. Muzzle blast on that gun would rattle your skull.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

Remington 742 Woodsmaster with Tasco 3-9x40 blister pack scope. Make sure to get the see thru rings. Core lokts in 30-06. The 1980s will call and ask for their rifle back
    Last edited by ShortMagFan; 11-13-2023 at 04:40 PM.