Thread: Summerville area fishing

Default Summerville area fishing

I知 starting a job in Summerville that should last around a year. I知 going to be in and out , with some down time to kill. I知 not bringing a boat so I知 needing suggestions on brackish, fresh and saltwater shore opportunities in the area. Any help as far as areas , species to target , and how to fish the tide will be greatly appreciated. I do a lot of freshwater, but have know idea about coastal rivers , tides and such.
    Last edited by 2thDoc; 11-21-2023 at 12:22 PM.

That’s a loaded question as there are a ton of options depending on what you want to do. For saltwater, north folly for some fine surf fishing. You could also yak in the folly river or Scott’s creek at Edisto. For fresh water you and thinker around the Ashley but your time would be better spent around Pinopolis or in the diversion canal chasing cats and striper.

some red and trout spots for walking creek banks around Mt Pleasant,
    I don't know where they are, just see lots of pics from the folks they do it.
    Shouldn't be hard to find
    Google Earth is your friend

The reds and trout interest me, as well as the rockfish. I don’t have kayak as of yet, but this may make me consider it.
    ECU. What setup( lure/ bait) is most effective? I hear good things about DOA shrimp… ? Is that real? I know live is better. Im willing to cast net for bait, but if an artificial is productive I’d rather go that route.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    The reds and trout interest me, as well as the rockfish. I don’t have kayak as of yet, but this may make me consider it.
    ECU. What setup( lure/ bait) is most effective? I hear good things about DOA shrimp… ? Is that real? I know live is better. Im willing to cast net for bait, but if an artificial is productive I’d rather go that route.
    I just do artificial now, but I have no issues throwing a net and getting shrimp or finger mullet.
    You can't go wrong with buying a pack of 1/8 oz jigheads and some Gulp shrimp or my favorite Gulp Swimming Mullet
    in white or "New Penny" color. Buy a popping cork and tie a DOA shrimp about 2 or 3 ft under it and have it it.
    Lots of paddle tail soft plastic stuff like the Z-Man PaddlerZ
    Go into Haddrell's Tackle and they will help you too
    Youtube is your friend
    Last edited by ecu1984; 11-12-2023 at 03:24 PM.

Thanks man. I appreciate the pointers.

Paddletails, curly tails, vudu shrimp and DOA shrimp are all pretty good! I use 1/8 and 1/4 oz jigheads mostly from Eye Strike are my favorite too. Bounce it on the bottom around the oyster bars and use popping corks like he said.

PS...get a kayak, itll open up so many opportunities.

Quote Originally Posted by Baggy View Post
    I’m starting a job in Summerville that should last around a year. I’m going to be in and out , with some down time to kill.
    I can likely help you out on the saltwater side, feel free to shoot a message. As mentioned above a kayak will greatly help. Your best opportunities for wading will be in warmer weather on the flood tides.

For artificials most of what I fish in cooler weather are 1/10oz Ned rigs and 1/8 paddle tails in warmer weather.

Got it thanks. I’ll PM later this week on the tackle bag.