Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wheelchair ramp price

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Then go do it on a weekend for your side job price. Contractors have to pay for materials, labor to install, workers comp (if you stroked the check I did this week, you’d understand that one), general liability, license fees, bonds, tools, trucks, more insurance, fuel, permits, plan review, engineering and on and on. Bubba charging $25/hr ain’t making enough to live on.
    ^he’s right.

12k is high. Anywhere in the 6-8k range would be a deal for a contractor price. Find a church group, Eagle Scout, or boys group to do the work for much cheaper.

I’d have to be dead and cold before I paid $12k for a ramp like that. Like others said, many church groups do stuff like this
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

not sure I can type through all these tears since y'all are just so helpful.

I do appreciate those willing to help and i know shit costs money.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

contractors are starting to compete with teachers, nurses, and food and bev for the victimhood title. underpaid, overworked, under appreciated.
    "Check your premise." Dr. Hugh Akston

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    contractors are starting to compete with teachers, nurses, and food and bev for the victimhood title. underpaid, overworked, under appreciated.
    These 80k trucks we drive dont pay for themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by drwilly View Post
    Toys don’t pay for themselves.
    Yeah, but do you consider a dog to be a filthy animal? I wouldn't go so far as to call a dog filthy but they're definitely dirty. But, a dog's got personality. Personality goes a long way.

You might take out a dozen before they drag you from your home and skull fuck you to death. Marsh Chicken 6/21/2013

I have to side with salty dog. You people get on here and brag about your new truck, your fancy boat and your hundred dollar bottle of bourbon but a man that makes his living with his hands doesn't deserve the same luxuries. Contractors have overhead and every dollar they make does not go into their pocket.

Quote Originally Posted by charlie horse View Post
    These 80k trucks we drive dont pay for themselves.
    I did a 1.5 million dollar renovation job in Charlotte roughly 20 years ago and a guy came to give me a quote on cleaning the windows. I told him I thought it was high and made a comment about the brand new hummer he pulled up in and I thought we were gonna fight. I told him I probably would have hired him if he pulled up in an old half ton chevy.

You people are somethin'... Why does everything have to turn into a dick measuring contest?

2fer, if you put a group together, I'll show up with some cash for materials and some tools in my $80k truck.

I expect we can get it built, to code, for 25% of that quote. But, we're not making a living by building ramps. We're just doing something nice for some nice folks and have an excuse to drink a few beers on a Saturday afternoon with a bunch of idiots that idiot like we do. I'll bet a few of the contractors that would normally charge $15k for a job like this might even show up and help make short work of this.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

I recommend you get an aluminum ramp. They do not require a building permit or contractor in most jurisdictions, and they can be easily removed and repurposed elsewhere when the need is over. I had some that I bought to use as a dock and did not need it all, so I sold the remainder. There is a brand called EZ Access that many stores, including Lowes/Hoe Depot, can order for you. MG

https://www.lowes.com/pl/Ez-access--...t=820012113448
    Dum Spiro Spero

I quit my job of 17 years after a shoulder injury and workers comp case that required two shoulder surgeries. I started my own handyman business over a year ago. I had one job that was $750 gross lined up the day I quit. I took that leap of faith. I take the contractor horror stories you too often hear about and operate my business in the opposite manner. If I can’t do the work by myself, I don’t do it. If material’s estimate is more than $1K, I’ll ask for a deposit up front to cover the materials. Nothing more. I communicate, I show up, and I make sure the customer is happy before I’m paid. I advertise through word of mouth, Facebook, and I’m in a BNI (Business Networking International) chapter. I don’t prioritize material things. I prioritize building a business that will one day allow my wife to stay at home, and one day my two sons can take over and run. God has blessed me immensely in this life.

2th, that quote is stupid high. I’d be happy to quote it, but I’m booked solid until February.

Quote Originally Posted by BEAR View Post
    I quit my job of 17 years after a shoulder injury and workers comp case that required two shoulder surgeries. I started my own handyman business over a year ago. I had one job that was $750 gross lined up the day I quit. I took that leap of faith. I take the contractor horror stories you too often hear about and operate my business in the opposite manner. If I can’t do the work by myself, I don’t do it. If material’s estimate is more than $1K, I’ll ask for a deposit up front to cover the materials. Nothing more. I communicate, I show up, and I make sure the customer is happy before I’m paid. I advertise through word of mouth, Facebook, and I’m in a BNI (Business Networking International) chapter. I don’t prioritize material things. I prioritize building a business that will one day allow my wife to stay at home, and one day my two sons can take over and run. God has blessed me immensely in this life.

2th, that quote is stupid high. I’d be happy to quote it, but I’m booked solid until February.
    Good for you. Show up when you say you will and do what you say you will do and you’ll NEVER have to look for work no matter what the economy does.

If some of you knuckleheads want to get together one Saturday and help these old folks out I'll be glad to give a hand. Just let me know when and where
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I bet the conversation between 2th and his hygienist went something like this

Hygienist: we’ve been getting some quotes for a wheelchair ramp for my parents lately, I didn’t realize things were so expensive

2th: How much did they quote?

Hygienist: $12k

2th (logging in to scducks): ppppfft….. watch this, I’ll get you that ramp for free or just the cost of materials and get some entertainment out of this too
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    I bet the conversation between 2th and his hygienist went something like this

Hygienist: we’ve been getting some quotes for a wheelchair ramp for my parents lately, I didn’t realize things were so expensive

2th: How much did they quote?

Hygienist: $12k

2th (logging in to scducks): ppppfft….. watch this, I’ll get you that ramp for free or just the cost of materials and get some entertainment out of this too
    That sounds about right. LOL

I'm with Turbo...I've got tools, money and willing to help. I don't have a ton of time, but I'm sure I could make something work.

I aint spending a saturday during deer season building a ramp. But I will donate toof a drill with instruction manual, a pair of gloves and a bottle of midol
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

I've built my fair share of stuff (and it's remained standing). I'd be willing to volunteer to assist, as well, if the opportunity arose.

Quote Originally Posted by Saltydog235 View Post
    Then go do it on a weekend for your side job price. Contractors have to pay for materials, labor to install, workers comp (if you stroked the check I did this week, you’d understand that one), general liability, license fees, bonds, tools, trucks, more insurance, fuel, permits, plan review, engineering and on and on. Bubba charging $25/hr ain’t making enough to live on.
    This is all true and Bubba making 25/hr thinks you are making a killing off his back and not sharing the wealth. All us contractors do is sit back and rake in the money or so they think.

Big difference in building a wheel chair ramp and paying someone to build one. Two cases of beer and some good buddies might get one built over a weekend if you buy the materials.
    Last edited by centurian; 10-27-2023 at 08:16 AM.