Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove hunt question

Ain’t no free trophy’s at my household. My boys gotta get in where they fit in! I’ve never handed them a rod with a fish on it or never have I moved out the way for them to get a shot.
    867-5309

If a bird is on the edge of my range but flying directly to another stander for a layup shot, I hold the shot. Public or not. My kid gets first opportunity unless he/she's just not into it. Older kid it's a competition, best man wins.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Yeah, I remember the first time my son outshot me on a dove field. He was pretty proud of the accomplishment. Up until then I never realized how obnoxious he was.

My oldest who will be 9 next month is funny. This is only his 2nd season shooting and he thinks he should be able to hang with me, like gets mad if he he's not close on numbers. He's improving though, killed 5 opening day all on his own.

I'm a safety nazi and constantly asking him about his safety. He's actually impressed me with the shots he doesn't take be it they are a little low or he feels they are a little too far for him.

It's a lot of work with 3 kids in tow, but it's what I enjoy the most about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

so, your 9yr old can outshoot Jimmy?

well done. fun to watch your kids grow up!
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    so, your 9yr old can outshoot Jimmy?

well done. fun to watch your kids grow up!
    It's cute.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

i've just never seen or heard of an adult that was as bad as you and i've been alive a while....
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

But you never even asked how many shells it took to kill 5 more this past Saturday...

Public shoots, most "fathers" I have seen are just sending the kids back to the truck for more shells when they run out. The stuff I've seen at public shoots in Sumter county will blow your mind. Best thing they ever did was make those lottery shoots and limit the number of shooters but the crybabies stopped that years ago. damn shame

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    Why is it that so many dove hunters don't seem to think a dove can see?
    I shot a limit sitting on the toolbox of a big ass, jacked up, white F350. I should also add, I was not alone and we were drinking a lot of beer.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    I shot a limit sitting on the toolbox of a big ass, jacked up, white F350. I should also add, I was not alone and we were drinking a lot of beer.
    it aint hard to shoot ducks from the front of a glitter boat either

Forgot to tell this story. On opener there were these two kids, looked to be 18-20 years old. Long hair, this new "mullet" style, vape pens, with the flat brim hat. Looked to be brothers.

These idiots kept moving from spot to spot, chasing shots, and setting up too close to people each time. One time I was the unlucky person. I shot at a bird, hit him but didn't kill him, was about to follow up with another shot and the guy behind me killed him. He was a real nice guy, had his young son with him. He asked if I saw where it landed because he wasn't sure so I went over to help him find it. We looked for that bird about 10 minutes walking through nipple high weeds, never found it.

Those kids then moved over near him. We grouped up and looked a 2nd time for that bird, another 10 mins or so. Finally we just gave up and one of those kids says, "Hey I know where that bird's laying but if I go get it, it's my bird because I think I shot it anyway." The guy says yea, whatever, go ahead. That punk walked directly to it and rubbed it in our faces after watching us spend 20 minutes looking for it.

They eventually left and me and that guy chatted a bit about how disrespectful those kids are. The guy said, "Yea if I didn't have my young son with me I'd have told him some things and used language I wouldn't want my boy to hear at his age." I wanted to give them a piece of my mind but they're clearly too stupid to absorb anything I'd say.

The nerve of some people these days. I predict when that guy hits drinking age, getting his butt whipped a few times at bars before he learns a good lesson.

Quote Originally Posted by Fish View Post
    So are you saying it doesn't matter if you hide or camo up? Maybe that's a question I need to add to my pre-invitation inquiry.

Like I said in my post, most of us have been to a shoot where it didn't seem to matter but I've been to way, way more where one or two idiots walking around in the middle of a field can screw it up for everyone.

My opinion, I think sitting still matters more than camo or a blind. I think dove will flare off of movement before they flare off of someone sitting still near any type of crop/treeline wearing faded out khaki (not using it as a blind, just standing near it).

I've seen birds shot out of the back of parked trucks and UTVs, vehicles parked close by, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by huntinghagen#12 View Post
    My opinion, I think sitting still matters more than camo or a blind. I think dove will flare off of movement before they flare off of someone sitting still near any type of crop/treeline wearing faded out khaki (not using it as a blind, just standing near it).

I've seen birds shot out of the back of parked trucks and UTVs, vehicles parked close by, etc.
    Yep, you obviously don't want to wear a white t shirt. But as long as you are still it matters a lot less what you are wearing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

So I dont need a ghillie suit? Damn.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post
    So are you saying it doesn't matter if you hide or camo up?
    My experience tells me that motion is far more important than color.

I bet the guys sitting on the dark gray bucket gets closer shots than the guy sitting on the white bucket. Most birds have great color vision.

It really depends on the time of year, age of birds, and or how many days the season has been in. That's my experience. I watched high birds and flaring birds this weekend, not my normal for this time of year. I enjoy winter doves, it's more of a challenge.

I will say motion plays in to it, I'll lock up during this time of year when they're near. Winter birds I'm usually trying to hide a little more.

Farmers wear light color clothing. Doves love farmers.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk