Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Dove hunt question

Default Dove hunt question

Here's the scenario-

A father and young son are dove hunting a public field. Both of them have 50 shells

The dad is sky busting and long gunning right over his son's head. The boy has only shot 4-5 times.
    The dad has shot all of his shells and killed 5 birds.
    Should the dad stop hunting and let his boy get a chance to shoot or should he grab some shells from his boy and keep blasting away?

WWJD?

Dudes a bitch

Depends on if it's his stepson or real son

I feel like I see that at every public dove field.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Haha

Thought it was 4 boxes each and extra full chokes were encouraged to make the 70 yds shots possible?

"WWJD?" = What would Jesus do?

Come on people, get right.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 09-11-2023 at 05:31 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Hahahaha

Isn’t this why we take kids to the field? I mean two limits are better than one…..right? We can be like the welfare mamas and borrow the neighborhood kids when it’s time to get benefits.
    \"If they don\'t hatch, they don\'t fly south\"

Quote Originally Posted by scatter shot View Post
    "WWJD?"

What would Jesus do?

Come on people, get right.
    I'm all out of sorts now....I thought we were talking about Jimmy.

A man wouldn’t do such a thing.

Dad should just shoot the game animals for his young son. Kinda like they do on youth deer days.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Also if the stepson was shooting them off the power line while his son was supposed to be shooting. The dad was probably just backing his son up…..

Quote Originally Posted by Whackumstackum View Post
    A man wouldn’t do such a thing.
    Word

Jesus would probably multiply the 5 doves into 15 with just a word.

If I can't kill 15 in 2 boxes I put the gun up and have a cold one, just wasn't my day. I do my best to let my boy have the first shot and I shoot cleanup. Unless he's not paying attention or the bird turns before it gets in his shooting window.

But in your scenario "dad" should be ashamed of himself and let the boy have at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    *2008 & 2009 Bream World Champion*

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. - Benjamin Franklin

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    "The Gamecocks are hammered dog shit"

Dad should learn to shoot better and give up when he's out of shells. Never had that problem cause at 12yrs old my son could outshoot most grown men. There are folks on here that could attest to that. I think the first dove shoot I took him to in SC, at age 11, he was high man on the field.
    Crops are harvested, animals are killed.

I know a fella back in the day when it was a 12 bird limit. "He" and his buddy were hunting a super secret public field that always holds birds and they were flying pretty good.
    After a couple of hours "this guy" was picking his shots and killed 7 birds and still had a few shells in his first box left.
    His buddy had been next to him sky blasting and long gunning birds when he ran out of shells.
    The other guy approaches the first guy trying to bum some extra shells (10-15 shells) and the first guy asked him how many birds he had.
    The guy said 9 birds and the first guy gave him 3 shells and told to, "... make 'em count."
    Three shots later and still three birds shy of a limit and the last flight of the day when the birds started pouring into the field he was standing there with an empty gun while the first guy finished his limit with about 10 shells leftover.
    I had to listen to that guy's shit all the way home about me not giving him a few more shells and ain't never hunted with him since.

True story. (Maybe)
    Last edited by scatter shot; 09-11-2023 at 05:05 AM.

Why is it that so many dove hunters don't seem to think a dove can see? I watched two guys in our club for most of the afternoon pace around on the highest spot in the middle of the field while talking loudly to each other. One was dressed in decent camo but standing out in the open and the other was in faded-out khakis that were almost white with a very shiny shotgun that flashed every time he made a move and an almost white dog lumbering around with him. I am confident that it had a negative effect for the entire field. I watched birds turn at the sight of them. I was under a power line and saw birds come sit on the line, watch for a minute and then leave the way they came. They got no close shots. And this was only the second shoot of the season, with young stupid birds. It will get more important as the birds get shot at and educated.

What is more perplexing to me is that both are very good shooters and have been dove hunting a long time.

I think everyone has been to a rare dove shoot where the birds just flood into a field with reckless abandon and no regard to trucks, people, dogs or anything. Maybe that locks into their minds that hiding doesn't matter?

I can attest from my own experience that if you want to lower your shell count and get easier, closer shots, hide like you would on a duck hunt. It will make the hunt better for everyone else too. Go pick up your downed birds and get your ass back to cover.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoggin View Post
    Dudes a bitch
    this

I sat next to my 15 yr old Saturday and long gunned him on several. Felt great and i called him out on it. Got in his head & he got pissed. Once he regrouped he was a little quicker on the trigger the next few. Got to teach them early.
    you aint did a dawg gon thang until ya STAND UP IN IT!- Theodis Ealey

Quote Originally Posted by Rebel Yell View Post
    The older I get, the more anal retentive I get.

agreed. at 15 he better toughen up.

I'd put my kid on top of a barn so he could get the first shot.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.