Why is it that so many dove hunters don't seem to think a dove can see? I watched two guys in our club for most of the afternoon pace around on the highest spot in the middle of the field while talking loudly to each other. One was dressed in decent camo but standing out in the open and the other was in faded-out khakis that were almost white with a very shiny shotgun that flashed every time he made a move and an almost white dog lumbering around with him. I am confident that it had a negative effect for the entire field. I watched birds turn at the sight of them. I was under a power line and saw birds come sit on the line, watch for a minute and then leave the way they came. They got no close shots. And this was only the second shoot of the season, with young stupid birds. It will get more important as the birds get shot at and educated.

What is more perplexing to me is that both are very good shooters and have been dove hunting a long time.

I think everyone has been to a rare dove shoot where the birds just flood into a field with reckless abandon and no regard to trucks, people, dogs or anything. Maybe that locks into their minds that hiding doesn't matter?

I can attest from my own experience that if you want to lower your shell count and get easier, closer shots, hide like you would on a duck hunt. It will make the hunt better for everyone else too. Go pick up your downed birds and get your ass back to cover.