Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Fish on oysters

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernWake View Post
    Incoming tide is your friend, some areas much better than others.
    It's also your friend because you don't have to worry about getting stuck for a few hours. Water is on the way!

Quote Originally Posted by Dawhoo View Post
    I have always been amazed the bellies of these redfish aren’t all scratched up. I have seen them belly crawl across bleached oyster bank and even worse from the live oysters like seen in your picture.

The color on those in first few pictures look like the pumpkin ones I catch here in Louisiana, those are pretty.
    I have seen scratches on the bellies and all over the bottom of them as well as frequent dolphin damage.

Jealous of your home waters in LA. Amazing how much their colors vary depending on where they have been living and conditions.

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    It's also your friend because you don't have to worry about getting stuck for a few hours. Water is on the way!
    On an incoming you are chasing fish, on a falling they are coming to you. Just have to know when to get out.

On an incoming you are chasing fish, on a falling they are coming to you. Just have to know when to get out.
    Yep. On creeks I've seen at low tide enough times, I'm comfortable going way back on a falling tide and knowing when to leave. But the beginning of an incoming tide is a perfect opportunity to explore new creeks and not worry about getting stuck.

Man those are some very neat pics

Thanks for sharing those

Cool shots from the past 2 days. Trying to make an effort to catch some of the cool sights. On camera thanks to this thread.

F6C87939-ADE6-4F48-B806-B4E52F2D6039.jpg

2BA0A305-F275-4AE8-A983-D14FD81637ED.jpg
    Last edited by SouthernWake; 09-03-2023 at 03:11 PM.

Awesome stuff. I'm likely making a trip this month. I definitely have missed it.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

What skiff do you have?

While I certainly dont take for granted the fishing locations I have lived the last decade (South Florida, charlotte harbor, Louisiana) , however I do terribly miss flood tides and shallow water winter redfish schools. I still believe SC red fishing is my favorite, I am sure there is some home bias.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

What skiff do you have?

While I certainly dont take for granted the fishing locations I have lived the last decade (South Florida, charlotte harbor, Louisiana) , however I do terribly miss flood tides and shallow water winter redfish schools. I still believe SC red fishing is my favorite, I am sure there is some home bias.
    HPXS

Having lived in both places, what general comparisons do you have between LA and SC fish?

Floods are fun and a great way to introduce people to sight fishing but it cool weather schools in clear water are a favorite for me.

I've missed the shallow water game and got back in it last weekend. Stuck a few reds OTF and got turned down by way tOo many sheeps.... it's been a minute or two!
    Just committed to buying a small skiff and I'm jacked but Jane is really pumped!
    She's got some prep to do before next June when I throw her to the wolves in e
    Exuma.
    Poling your kid around is the tits....
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-04-2023 at 07:28 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

HPXS

Having lived in both places, what general comparisons do you have between LA and SC fish?

Floods are fun and a great way to introduce people to sight fishing but it cool weather schools in clear water are a favorite for me.
    Those cold water schools are bonefish prep for the kid.....
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Awesome pics by the way

HPXS

Not a huge amount of comparisons other than in shallow flats here and the spartina flats in Sc the primary forage are crabs so I have success with crab flies.

Otherwise much different . Darker , less tidal flow, less daily tides, etc. with this they are typically in a predictable pattern for longer in LA. I have spring and early summer dialed in as a result. The diet seems to be more reliant on white bait here, or at least the bite is more reliable on presence of white bait. The late summer and fall has the big boys but my area they are harder to catch than eastern LA. The winter is tough here, partly because my favorite places to fish in the ponds of the wild life refuges are closed to fishing during duck season.

I almost exclusively fish soft plastics and gold spoons when using spin gear.

The fish are less pressured here, likely because 80% of fish caught by the bay boat crowd is thrown in the cooler so they never get a chance to get pressured. There is also a lot less non fishing boat traffic to pressure the fish.
    Last edited by Dawhoo; 09-03-2023 at 07:59 PM.
    "The best things in life make you sweaty"
    - Edgar Allen Poe

“We need the tonic of wildness...At the same time that we are earnest to explore and learn all things, we require that all things be mysterious and unexplorable, that land and sea be indefinitely wild, unsurveyed and unfathomed by us...”
    ― Henry David Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by Calibogue View Post
    Those cold water schools are bonefish prep for the kid.....
    I have had many on my boat tell me our fish are notably more difficult than the bones when they travel.

Not a huge amount of comparisons other than in shallow flats here and the spartina flats in Sc the primary forage are crabs so I have success with crab flies.

Otherwise much different . Darker , less tidal flow, less daily tides, etc. with this they are typically in a predictable pattern for longer in LA. I have spring and early summer dialed in as a result. The diet seems to be more reliant on white bait here, or at least the bite is more reliable on presence of white bait. The late summer and fall has the big boys but my area they are harder to catch than eastern LA. The winter is tough here, partly because my favorite places to fish in the ponds of the wild life refuges are closed to fishing during duck season.

I almost exclusively fish soft plastics and gold spoons when using spin gear.

The fish are less pressured here, likely because 80% of fish caught by the bay boat crowd is thrown in the cooler so they never get a chance to get pressured. There is also a lot less non fishing boat traffic to pressure the fish.
    Interesting note on the white bait note. Our fish here certainly love to eat menhaden when they come in but I don’t see them orient to them specifically inshore, schools off the beach is different.

Pressure on our fish here is super heavy both shallow water and deeper inshore zones. I want to believe it is by people who don’t know what they are doing is detrimental.

I have had many on my boat tell me our fish are notably more difficult than the bones when they travel.
    I sold my skiff when she was born and moved into a bigger boat so I'm pretty excited about getting back into the shallow water game with her. She has a lot of prep to do before next June and man I can't wait!
    Ha, put them on some of these tailing sheeps it doesn't get any more challenging or frustrating.
    Last edited by Calibogue; 09-04-2023 at 08:58 AM.

Good stuff
    Thanks for sharing
    Headed to E. NC tomorrow for 6 days
    thinking about less dolphin fishing now and more marsh for later this week

She's thiick

Woowee