Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is it hot out here or is it just your mom?

Default Is it hot out here or is it just your mom?

Dove season. Dogs. Heat.

All good things but combined can turn ugly. Be cognizant of your dogs and be prepared should things go south.

Have a way to get your dog cool before he/she gets too hot. Invest in a cheap rectal thermometer and know how to use it. Don't go looking for a way to help after the doodoo hits the fan. Assume it's going to happen, have everything available and be happy you were over prepared should you not need to use it.

KNOW where you're going to take the dog should things go south. Driving around panicked trying to locate the nearest emergency clinic is a waste of valuable time. Again; BE PREPARED.

Some tips and guidelines should you need them...

Body temperature may be elevated because of an infection (fever), but it may also increase because of hot and/or humid conditions outside. An increased body temperature caused by environmental conditions is commonly referred to as hyperthermia, heatstroke, or heat prostration.

A dog’s normal body temperature is 101.5°F plus or minus 1 degree Fahrenheit, and any time the body temperature is higher than 105°F, a true emergency exists. Heatstroke generally occurs in hot summer weather when dogs are left with inadequate ventilation in hot vehicles. However, heatstroke may also occur in other conditions, including:

When an animal is left outdoors in hot/humid conditions without adequate shade.
    When exercised in hot/humid weather.
    When left in a car on a relatively cool (70°F) day; a recent study from Stanford University Medical Center found the temperature within a vehicle may increase by an average of 40 degrees Fahrenheit within one (1) hour regardless of the outside temperature.
    Other predisposing factors may be obesity and/or diseases affecting a pet’s airway. Keep in mind that prolonged seizures, eclampsia (milk fever), poisonings, and many other conditions may cause hyperthermia. Also, brachycephalic (short-nosed) breeds (Pekingese, Pug, Lhasa Apso, Boston terrier, etc.) may suffer from “ineffectual panter syndrome” which results in an increased body temperature that may be fatal.

Initially, the pet appears distressed and will pant excessively and become restless. As the hyperthermia progresses, the pet may drool large amounts of saliva from the nose and/or mouth. The pet may become unsteady on his feet. You may notice the gums turning blue/purple or bright red in color, which is due to inadequate oxygen.

What to Do

Remove your pet from the environment where the hyperthermia occurred.
    Move your pet to a shaded and cool environment, and direct a fan on him.
    If possible, determine rectal temperature and record it.

Place your pet in a cold water bath (or in the shower) without submerging their heads. You can utilize ice cubes in water if you have them and are not near a bathtub.

The only part I do not agree with. Water is an insulator and no matter the temp it will not reach the fine insulating coat and it will only trap heat. Airflow, alcohol on the ear pinnas and bottoms of feet are your best tools.

You may also wet the ear flaps and paws with cool water. Directing a fan on these wetted areas will help to speed up evaporative cooling. Transport to the closest veterinary facility immediately.
    What NOT to Do

Do not over-cool the pet.
    Most pets with hyperthermia have body temperatures greater than 105°F, and a reasonable goal of cooling is to reduce your pet’s body temperature to 102.5-103°F while transporting them to the closest veterinary facility.
    Do not attempt to force water into your pet’s mouth, but you may have fresh cool water ready to offer should your pet be alert and show an interest in drinking.
    Do not leave your pet unattended for any length of time.
    Beginning the process of cooling the pet immediately is extremely important. Cool or cold tap water is suitable.

Severe hyperthermia is a disease that affects nearly every system in the body. Simply lowering the body temperature fails to address the potentially catastrophic events that often accompany this disorder. A pet suffering from hyperthermia should be seen by a veterinarian as soon as possible.

I don't work on weekends or holidays and you dang sure better not NOT invite me to a dove shoot then have the gall to call me about a dog issue from said shoot. That's just rude and tacky.

But I know me and despite being left out of the fun and inner circle cool kid stuff I'd still help the best I could. Even toofer.

Good advice. Unless everything is perfect (low humidity, low heat, nice breeze, shady spot) I never take my dogs out early. I'm amazed that I never had problems before I was smart enough to know better. Good luck to all...
    "If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die, I want to go where they went."
    Will Rogers

I had a trainer tell me to rub the dogs pads with alcohol. Any truth to this?
    cut\'em

Great advice.

If your dog lives indoors and doesnt go outside any other time besides mornings and evenings when you're comfortable, dont take him on the opener and expect him to perform like he's been heat conditioned.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

2n

Does pouring alcohol on the belly for evaporative cooling effect help or hinder the cooling process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    "The real reason fish jump - they don't have a middle finger!"

Quote Originally Posted by Southernduck View Post
    See the below that was copied from the above...

alcohol on the ear pinnas and bottoms of feet are your best tools.
    Quote Originally Posted by boondoggle View Post
    2n

Does pouring alcohol on the belly for evaporative cooling effect help or hinder the cooling process?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    It's a push. See above for placement of alcohol. Heat transfer occurs at the ear pinnas, mouth and bottoms of feet. Alcohol the ear pinnas (flaps) and bottoms of feet and put in direct cool airflow.

Don't alcohol the mouth unless you're about to dig a bullet out western style or you want your dog to look at you like you've lost your mind.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

Good post. People too. Ole cuz monkeyed about 11am this morning while we were over at Ross marine. Puking, the whole works. Thought I was going to have to borrow their backhoe to get him back to the ground. I got so hot I drank a glass of "water" out of the boat sink that was who knows how old.

I am officially over summer. HS can have it.

And here is a cat video for your trouble Dr A...

https://twitter.com/_B___S/status/1695927895594524850

Good reminder to take care of your dogs.
    I always made sure mine sat in the shade of my body if that's all we had. Carried a backpack full of water bottles and a crown royal bag with a full bottle of rubbing alcohol and a few small rags cut up to apply it with.
    If out in a field betweens the rows I'd pour a bottle of water on the ground at my feet to make a small mud puddle and the dog would lay her belly in it to cool and I'd refresh with more water as needed.

I saw another man's dog suffer from heat stroke many years ago, it was a terrible thing to see. I helped him get the dog to the truck and it wasn't looking too good.
    If your dog is older or out of shape it's better to just leave them at home.
    Last edited by scatter shot; 08-29-2023 at 04:29 PM.

It's in his initial post.
    Carolina Counsel

It would never have occurred to me to apply alcohol to the ear flaps. Thanks for posting.

I have a big, camoed up golf umbrella for shade. I stick it in a PVC pipe surf rod spike so it's right at my shoulder height while sitting on a dove stool. I brush it up to breaks the outline. It provides shade for my dog and me and helps hide us.

My older dog knows how to pace himself but I still don't always let him get every bird. Both of my bird dogs have been running in this heat all summer.

I plan on taking my biggest cooler filled with water in case anyone's dog needs a dip.

Finding, in advance, the closest vet clinic that will be open is a damn good idea.

Great advice. Eyes and tongue, and listen to your dog.

Buy a cheap battery Amazon fan and a few bags of ice, keep them in a cooler. Throw a bag of ice in a kennel with a dog and put a fan over it. $10 can save your dogs life. And if you don’t use them you’ve already got ice for your beer after the hunt.

I saw one die from a heat stroke several years ago. It was a pretty awful scene
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands

It's kind of like hunting a dog in the early season around alligators,.....sometimes it's better to leave them at home.

I’ve never understood why people take dogs to Labor Day dove shoots anyway. I’ve shot doves on Labor Day weekend for the past 30 something years and I can count on 1 hand how many dogs I saw on those shoots perform like you’d want a dog to.

Most of it is just dumbasses yelling at their fat out of shape labs or their Boykins that ain’t never listened to a damn thing their owner/handler said in the first place.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

^^^ maybe you should hang out with a better crowd?

Mine will be hunting like he does everyday until 11,.....then he sleeps the rest of the day.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/n7HEKcXwan5ibi3t8

https://photos.app.goo.gl/TWerRoHBbxzTVazG8