Thread: 9 rescued @ Oregon Inlet

Default 9 rescued @ Oregon Inlet

9 rescued after yacht runs aground at NC coast, begins to rapidly sink

by: Rodney Overton
    Posted: Aug 20, 2023

WANCHESE, N.C. (WNCN) — The U.S. Coast Guard rescued nearly 10 people aboard a rapidly sinking fishing yacht Saturday after the boat ran aground leading to two holes and severe flooding, officials said.

The incident was reported around 6:45 p.m. outside of the channel near Wanchese, according to a news release from the U.S. Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet.

A 43-foot sport fishing boat had run aground with nine people aboard.

“The vessel had ripped a hole in their port rudder post mount as well as dislodging their port drive shaft,” the news release said.

Both areas of the boat were “severely taking on water” and the vessel was sinking, officials said.

Photo from U.S. Coast Guard Station Oregon Inlet.

After the boat was taken out of the water, a large hole could be seen on the hull between the two propellers.

Coast Guard crews responded and helped set up pumps to save the boat.

Towboat US also assisted in the operation, the Coast Guard said.

“This case serves as a reminder of how dangerous the shoaling in the area can be, luckily everybody involved was unharmed and made it home safely,” officials said.

https://www.cbs17.com/news/north-car...-rapidly-sink/

That's a special inlet, but this sort of thing shouldn't happen with the experience req'd to pilot a boat of this size and the electronics that we all know are installed at that helm...
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

That draft doesnt forgive mistakes.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Think someone had the autopilot turned on?
    Amendment II A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Quote Originally Posted by Highstrung View Post
    I like fishing topwater. Will one of you jot down some of this redneck ghetto slang and the definitions for those of us who weren't born with a plastic spoon in our mouths?

I mated on the Sea Witch outta Oregon Inlet Fishing Center during college summers.
    It can change almost overnight or at least it could way back then
    It sounds like this wasn't in the inlet but in the channel on the backside that runs to Wanchese

Quote Originally Posted by ecu1984 View Post
    I mated on the Sea Witch outta Oregon Inlet Fishing Center during college summers.
    It can change almost overnight or at least it could way back then
    It sounds like this wasn't in the inlet but in the channel on the backside that runs to Wanchese
    So this ain't operator error, correct?
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Quote Originally Posted by Black Bart View Post
    So this ain't operator error, correct?
    How would you or I know that?
    But
    There is a lot of traffic thru OI going to and from Wanchese and Manteo everyday, not just rec fishing but heavy commercial stuff
    It ain't hard to follow someone all the way thru and around

quite a few boats have run aground lately. Channel has changed in the last three weeks or so. What Sea Witch did you work on ECU?

Quote Originally Posted by Tranquility View Post
    quite a few boats have run aground lately. Channel has changed in the last three weeks or so. What Sea Witch did you work on ECU?
    with a young Capt'n Charlie Griffin. When Charlie didn't need anyone, I went out with the legend Mike Romeo occasionally if his mate partied too much the night before.
    Mike was a hot mess and won the Big Rock one year. Not sure if these cats are still around but that was the dock to be on in the early 80s.
    I lived in Nags Head and mating outta OI Fishing Center was a tough gig to get and I had no blue water experience. I was told to be down there every morning at 5am and just walk the docks asking for work because if someone's mate didnt show up, a Capt might take you. That is how I met both and they taught me how to rig a ballyhoo on the ride out and I was a dolphin bailing expert by noon of day 1
    at the end of the day, Mike would tell me to come up and take the wheel cause he was going inside to nap. He would give me a heading and tell me to wake him up when the OI Bridge came into sight.
    Last edited by ecu1984; 08-21-2023 at 07:58 PM.

Hull # 1 Gwaltney?

In the first sentence of the article it says the coast guard rescued nearly 10 people. So did they leave half a person on Board? Maybe they left a whole person on board? Maybe somebody rescued themselves and they took credit for it?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    That's a special inlet, but this sort of thing shouldn't happen with the experience req'd to pilot a boat of this size and the electronics that we all know are installed at that helm...
    Even the best, seasoned, local captains tear shit up, up there bo.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Article says outside of the channel.

Those inlets have warranted reputations. Oregon moves 60 feet a year...