Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Heat index is bullshit

R (1).jpg

Here's the chart. We'll show you what 0% humidity in Arizona feels like.

Well 4 percent
    Last edited by ScLowCountry; 08-14-2023 at 12:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Kioti View Post
    It may not be BS but it's still mostly the media trying to sensationalize this climate change crap. Everybody's been talking about the heat but I don't believe we've even broken 100 this year around here. It also felt like we were living in Washington all the way up to about a week or two before July 4th.
    Craziest thing I remember seeing a few years ago was a guy sandblasting parts for a water tower they were building. It was about 102 that day and he was in a full body suit including a hood at about 3:00 in the afternoon.
    Correct. It's all sensational crap to make people think the climate is out of control and that if we don't destroy even more natural landscape to replace it with windfarms and solar panels, we'll melt.

Summer is hot and humid, especially in the Southeast. Drink water and live your life.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I'm expecting someone to post a mansplain that it feels cooler if the wind is blowing.

You sweated the same in both places, only in Charleston it didn't work to cool you off.
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

The media always sensationalized the weather. Imagine sending a reporter out to stand in hurricane force wind just for a photo opp. Had afternoon storms roll through last week and the news/weather interrupted the regular programming for three hours. They have news and weather on for 11/2 hours everyday and there is not that much local news.

Hot is hot. It's definitely been hot, but it's August in SC.

Just turn the TV off, my quality of life has been much better not listening to that blabbing on the TV anymore.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chessbay View Post
    Literally translated to, "I smell like Scotch and Kodiak".
    "Let us cross over the river, and rest under the shade of the trees"- Gen. Thomas "Stonewall" Jackson

Quote Originally Posted by smitch320 View Post
    Hot is hot. It's definitely been hot, but it's August in SC.

Just turn the TV off, my quality of life has been much better not listening to that blabbing on the TV anymore.
    Exactly. I'm not concerned because it's hot and humid in August in the South. It always is.

I'd be concerned if it WASN'T hot and humid in August in the South!

Quote Originally Posted by Palmetto Bug View Post

I was in Texas last week down around San Antonio and Corpus Christi. I was in the very high 90's all week and pretty hot but I sweated more walking from the CHS terminal to the parking garage than I did all week in Texas. Jungle heat is less comfortable than desert heat.

You immediately contradict yourself…. It’s real.

It is hot but I haven't seen anything above 96. I remember strings of 100+ in Columbia. People today are pussys. News at 11...

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowman View Post
    You immediately contradict yourself…. It’s real.
    You missed the point. We all understand the effect of evaporative cooling. What good is it to know what the temperature in Charleston would feel like in Arizona? Why don't they adjust the "feels like" to also account for the wind or shade?

Worked a job in Geneva, AL one summer. It was 95 degree and 95% RH everyday with thunder storms everyday. It was as hot in the shade as in the sun. With thousands of gnats the size of hummingbirds.
    Last edited by centurian; 08-14-2023 at 09:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    It is hot but I haven't seen anything above 96. I remember strings of 100+ in Columbia. People today are pussys. News at 11...
    Seriously, I worked in this shit every day from the time I was old enough to pick up a square bail of hay until I was about 35. It's not hard, drink water and electrolytes, and don't be a bitch. It's really that simple.

On the flip side of that, I reserve the right to be sick and damn tired of it by around this time every year, and to occasionally whine about it....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

I don't care if its 92 or 102, it's all hot. And I hate it. I don't need an index to tell me its miserable. Summer is for putting up with until the best part of the year arrives. A bit of torture to make you appreciate fall and winter that much more.
    "This is My commandment, that you love one another as I have loved you." John 15:12

"Strive for peace with everyone, and for the holiness without which no one will see the Lord." Hebrews 12:14

Summer of '93 I worked with iron workers doing metal roof and hanging steel. I remember that year because of the record temps.

This past weekend with no wind at all....... I think LMNT probably helped me from sure enough getting the monkey.

But it's a dry heat

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Seriously, I worked in this shit every day from the time I was old enough to pick up a square bail of hay until I was about 35. It's not hard, drink water and electrolytes, and don't be a bitch. It's really that simple.

On the flip side of that, I reserve the right to be sick and damn tired of it by around this time every year, and to occasionally whine about it....
    I grew up in this mess in Alabama. I don't like it but I'm not gonna be a weener about it.

When I was in the Navy we were doing refit out of Kings Bay, Georgia in August. We we doing a 4 missile offload/on load, which is a chore in any weather. The 90+ degree days topside on a black submarine with no shade and the only wind was from the mosquitoes when they flew by made it especially fun. We had been topside crawling around and under the outer hull working since before sun up. When it got to be around 10'ish or so my chief gave us permission to dress down. No outer shirts, t-shirts only and hats optional. We were tied up next to a sub tender full of surface pukes when around noon'ish some butter bar ensign sashays his pretty little self down the gangway to start yelling at us for being out of uniform. Topside watch comes over to me and my guys laughing, "This dork said he needs to speak to whoever is in charge of y'all." That day that happened to be me so I crawled out from under the deck, tshirt only, no cover/hat and walked over and said "What can I help you with, sir?" And he went all new officer academy grad on me about rules, uniforms, writing folks up and stuff. I politely said, "Understand. Hang tight while I call down and get my Div-O."

So I grabbed the phone and whooped up the wardroom where the O gang hung out in the A/C and got a quick and almost impatient "Wardroom!" "Yessir. This is PO Adcock. Is Mr. Edmonds there?" "Nope." "Okay. Is the Weaps there?" "Nope. What's going on?" "Sir, we're up prepping for a 4 bird off/on load and some JO from the tender is up here stopping work and hollerin' about uniform standards and shit." "I'll be right up." At first I didn't recognize who was on the phone. Turned out to be the CO and he was in no mood, zero mood for any BS. Subs just operate different than the rest of the Navy and when the "fleet" hindered our ability to operate it really pissed him off.

Now. Normally it is SOP leadership that officers don't get dressed down or disciplined in front of enlisted. However, exceptions are always made and my CO made one that day. When he cleared the bridge hatch and rounded the corner he looked at me and said one word; "WHERE?!?!" I simply pointed toward the cleanly shaven face in the crisp khaki uniform occupying the gangway.

That fella may be an admiral now. I'll never know. But what I do know is that day he got a lesson in 1) minding your own business, 2) the difference between the topside navy and the sub service and 3) how to give and receive a very poetic, well thought out and effective ass chewing. I felt kind of bad for the guy to be honest. It was brutal. After he slinked (slunked?) back aboard the tender the CO looked my way, "Carryon. Lemme know if y'all need anything. I'll have some drinks and food sent up." "Yessir."

Takeaway; Do NOT mess with dudes who are working outside in 90+ degree heat, 90+ percent humidity, in the direct sun while they are working with nuclear weapons. Ever.

I enjoy it. Over the years I’ve learned tricks on how to deal. The worst thing I hate doing is wearing gloves. When shingles and your tools are so hot that you can’t hold them and you have to wear gloves that’s when I start to get aggravated
    "They are who we thought they were"

You can dress a fat chick up, but you cant fix stupid

Nothing like wearing a T+shirt to a bow stand on August 15th. Just need to be in the shade and sit still.

Deer love hot weather in August. Other than the rut, no better time to kill a mature buck.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk

It’s a best-they-can-come-up-with thing. No dry temp feels anything like a high 90’s, high humidity day in SC…right up to the point of combustion, it does not compare.
    “I can’t wait ‘till I’m grown” is the stupidest @!#* I ever said!

I grew up working tobacco. Pulling drags to start. Moved to cropping. Finally got some shoulders and I got to rack the barns. Nothing hotter than the inside of a tobacco bulk barn in August.

That said, I dont work outside anymore and fly a desk in the AC during the day. I've gotten soft.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton