Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Appealing County Assesed value

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Don’t title a new boat in Colleton County is all the advice I have. Walterboro looks at the beach like buzzards look at a crippled hog…
    You just need to go to the tax office, they have adjusted every one i ever had, by alot.
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by buckpro View Post
    You just need to go to the tax office, they have adjusted every one i ever had, by alot.
    This is better done in person.

When I finally registered my truck in Richland county in 2015, they wanted $800 for a 2005 F150. I raised hell in person.

They cut it in half when I told them I'd sit right there until they did SOMETHING.

Find 6 more acres in the same county and call it all agriculture.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Quote Originally Posted by Dook View Post
    Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by Fireman View Post
    I paid exactly County assessed value when I bought it in 2022. Exactly 103%less than the new asses value.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You need to hire a reputable appraiser to give you the value at the date of reassessment and then take that to the Assessor.
    DILLIGAF

I am sorta in the same boat. I built a large pole building in 2020, they then sent me a higher tax assessment in 2021 for "improvements". In 2021 wife decided she wanted a pool, they just sent me another assessment that went up by 47k. Again, in the name of "improvements made to the property". Do I have a chance of fighting this situation or I am just stuck with paying higher taxes for "improving" my own property?

Quote Originally Posted by turbo View Post
    This is better done in person.

When I finally registered my truck in Richland county in 2015, they wanted $800 for a 2005 F150. I raised hell in person.

They cut it in half when I told them I'd sit right there until they did SOMETHING.

Find 6 more acres in the same county and call it all agriculture.
    Same thing with my boat, it went form $2100 to $1100 by just going in person
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn View Post
    I'll shoot over a kids head in a blind or long gun one on a turkey in a heart beat. You want to kill stuff around me you gonna earn it.

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    I am sorta in the same boat. I built a large pole building in 2020, they then sent me a higher tax assessment in 2021 for "improvements". In 2021 wife decided she wanted a pool, they just sent me another assessment that went up by 47k. Again, in the name of "improvements made to the property". Do I have a chance of fighting this situation or I am just stuck with paying higher taxes for "improving" my own property?
    If the increase in value is in line with the cost of the improvements, you don't have much of a case.
    DILLIGAF

Quote Originally Posted by SCWOODROW View Post
    They have to follow their own rules.

They're only allowed to reassess so often.

Figure out what your county's rules are and hold them accountable to their own game.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

I always appeal! The only exception is if it the year after purchasing and the assessed value is exactly the purchase price.
    TIPS:
    -Make sure you know the actual year they are assessing for(to pull comps)
    -Make sure you have your paperwork in order for your comps
    -You don't have to agree after the initial appeal(if they deny) If I recall its a 3 step process and the final step in is in front of a jury of your peers(sympathetic to the cause)
    - Let the numbers tell the story... in your case purchase price should be a huuge piece of the evidence.
    George Carlin said it best, \'Think of how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are stupider than that\'\'.

One thing that most folks don't realize about this process is if you end up before the County Board of Assessment Appeals it has the authority to set a higher assessed value than what the assessor gave in the first place.
    So if you don't have much of a case and you are stubborn and appeal all the way up to that Board, you do so at your own peril.
    DILLIGAF

I bought a lot on lake wateree. Taxes came due they were little over 600. This past year they were little over 2000. Went to court house to ask why and they told me the first year of taxes was based on what they paid for the lot years ago and the 2nd year was what I paid for it. That shit sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by thawhacker View Post
    I bought a lot on lake wateree. Taxes came due they were little over 600. This past year they were little over 2000. Went to court house to ask why and they told me the first year of taxes was based on what they paid for the lot years ago and the 2nd year was what I paid for it. That shit sucks.
    Sounds like bullshit to me.
    "Freedom Isn't Free"
    _Spc. Thomas Caughman
    1983-2004

Go tigers!

Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    Don’t title a new boat in Colleton County is all the advice I have. Walterboro looks at the beach like buzzards look at a crippled hog…
    Sounds like you got a boat for sale…..