Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: South carolina lifts public lands sunday hunting prohibition!

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    It’s not their fault (every time). They do the best they can.
    I don’t have a dog in this fight other than to call Toof out for this comment.

Yes. Most, if not all, wildlife issues on designated WMA lands are directly SCDNR’s fault, every day and twice on Sunday.

Show me a Waterfowl Area, I’ll fill a spreadsheet with State retardations that prevent maximum waterfowl usage.

No dolphin for you.
    Be proactive about improving public waterfowl habitat in South Carolina. It's not going to happen by itself, and our help is needed. We have the potential to winter thousands of waterfowl on public grounds if we fight for it.

Quote Originally Posted by BOGSTER View Post
    I don’t have a dog in this fight other than to call Toof out for this comment.

Yes. Most, if not all, wildlife issues on designated WMA lands are directly SCDNR’s fault, every day and twice on Sunday.

Show me a Waterfowl Area, I’ll fill a spreadsheet with State retardations that prevent maximum waterfowl usage.

No dolphin for you.
    DNR does not control everything. I think of it like a private landowner. I can only do so much. Granted, I am not working with the budget they have.

We like to call out The Man because its the way the world is. We always look UP to whoever we think is in charge and blame them for everything. What has Jimmy done other than bitch? Is there a more proactive way to affect change?

Managing waterfowl is not rocket science....but the way i think you should do it does not allow for all the public access people would clamor for. Read this thread. Its all MY land that THEY wont let ME hunt on sundays. You want to try to have a duck under those conditions?

I think they do the best they can.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

2th fairy - then how do you explain the other 47, and counting, states that have absolutely no restrictions on Sunday hunting but have better game populations than us?

Quote Originally Posted by JimmyD714 View Post
    2th fairy - then how do you explain the other 47, and counting, states that have absolutely no restrictions on Sunday hunting but have better game populations than us?
    Do you have actual data to support this contention? I believe you have repeated it multiple times and would like to see the evidence that 47 states have better game populations than SC.
    Carolina Counsel

i dont give a fuck what ohio does.
    that help?

Well glad I never got checked. No idea you couldn’t hunt FMNF on Sundays.

This sucks, now the WMA's are gonna be crowded on Sundays.....
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Got rid of some blue laws but not all. Isn't alcohol sales still banned on Sunday in SC

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    Got rid of some blue laws but not all. Isn't alcohol sales still banned on Sunday in SC
    Liquor is unavailable for Sunday sales; on-premise and off-premise beer purchases on Sunday is a county by county matter.

will yall just let me pick on glenn without your absurd responses?
    thanks

Drop the limit to one bird per WMA, but open the damn things on Sunday.

Should be open 7 days a week for all seasons. It’s just that simple.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

Quote Originally Posted by quackaddict View Post
    Drop the limit to one bird per WMA, but open the damn things on Sunday.

Should be open 7 days a week for all seasons. It’s just that simple.

You really think people would be honest? I know of a lot of people who are not when I comes to this.

Quote Originally Posted by loud1 View Post
    You really think people would be honest? I know of a lot of people who are not when I comes to this.
    If you’re going off of that premise, why have tags, bag limits, seasons, etc at all?

Man and other animals were first vegetarians; then Noah and his sons were given permission to eat meat: “every moving thing that liveth shall be meat for you” Genesis 9:3

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." Aldo Leopold

The DNR understands you control the harvest by reducing the days afield. .

If the turkeys are in trouble allowing more days is not a good idea. A one bird limit by itself won't help

If we are discriminating against the working man, open it up Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

Sent from my motorola edge plus 5G UW (2022) using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-16-2023 at 06:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Catdaddy View Post

If the turkeys are in trouble allowing more days is not a good idea. A one bird limit by itself won't help

If we are discriminating against the working man, open it up Wednesday, Saturday, and Sunday.

If the DNR cared about the birds at all, they would have never opened the season in March for 3 seasons in the upstate. A shit ton of birds died those 3 years and that's a fact.
    "George Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, he shot them."

Quote Originally Posted by joshua2 View Post
    If the DNR cared about the birds at all, they would have never opened the season in March for 3 seasons in the upstate. A shit ton of birds died those 3 years and that's a fact.
    There's what DNR recommends and what our legislature gives us. They aren't always the same thing. Hunters asked for both baiting for deer and an earlier turkey opener, wanting what the lower state had.

If turkey are in trouble then reducing the kill is the first step to managing the problem. Reducing the tags and the season will reduce the kill but this needs to be state over not just on WMA.
    Last edited by centurian; 05-17-2023 at 08:29 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by centurian View Post
    If turkey are in trouble then reducing the kill is the first step to managing the problem. Reducing the tags and the season will reduce the kill but this needs to be state over not just on WMA.
    Glad someone else understands that if limiting time afield as a management tactic to low population then it makes no sense to ONLY limit the people killing 7% of the birds per the report data. That's been my argument all along, either we're managing a species or we aren't. It makes no sense to give private land 6 weeks plus Sundays while WMA hunters get 4 weeks minus Sundays.

However, I'm always against the notion of shortening a season or removing a tag because history shows we'll never get it back. We all want to spend time doing what we love and spend as much time as we can.

I'll say it again, I'm not in favor of any more DNR regulation that will do nothing but restrict our access while they continue to be probably the biggest failure of all DNR history. But if they were to make a change, I'd rather WMA and private land dates be the same and limit decoy and blind usage to some degree. That will save plenty of turkeys while still giving us plenty of time to enjoy the woods we pay for.

I'll be in favor of legalizing fanning them into a pile of corn on WMA before I'll be in favor of them taking one freaking inch away from our already insultingly short WMA turkey season.
    Last edited by JimmyD714; 05-17-2023 at 11:41 AM.

It makes no sense to give private land 6 weeks plus Sundays while WMA hunters get 4 weeks minus Sundays.
    it makes a shitton of sense. try to figure out why. once you do, a little lightbulb will appear above your head.