Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lake Norman

Default Lake Norman

My wife invited her sister, brother in law, and Dad to join us on the boat for her sister's birthday this weekend on Lake Norman since they live in Charlotte (I was told about this invitation after the fact, even though I'm the boat owner/operator/tow/fuel basically everything on this trip aside from the food). With that said, I don't know anything about Lake Norman other than it will be busy and I drive by it some times on 77.

I'm coming from Boone, I can go down either 321 or 421 then cut towards the lake. Any recommendations on a boat ramp that has plenty of parking and a decent ramp? Boat is 23' and I'm driving an F350 with a long bed, so I take up a lot of real estate and need room to maneuver (tiny landings with limited turning areas won't cut it).

There is a really nice ramp on hwy 150 with good parking. I haven’t used it on the weekends in years but I’m sure it’s a mad house. I would think the further north you go there will be less people so try to find one as far north as possible. However that is a longer distance from Charlotte. If you are trying to stay closer to Charlotte I’d probably go to the ramp on hwy 73 (Blythe Landing). It’s a big ramp with plenty of parking. I’m sure any of them will be packed with people.

Quote Originally Posted by whitty View Post
    There is a really nice ramp on hwy 150 with good parking. I haven’t used it on the weekends in years but I’m sure it’s a mad house. I would think the further north you go there will be less people so try to find one as far north as possible. However that is a longer distance from Charlotte. If you are trying to stay closer to Charlotte I’d probably go to the ramp on hwy 73 (Blythe Landing). It’s a big ramp with plenty of parking. I’m sure any of them will be packed with people.
    Thanks.

Not expecting to avoid a lot of people, it will be crowded. I do plan on getting to whatever ramp I use by 9am to avoid some of the morning rush, and take out by 3pm.

i left my mark at davidson. its worth seeing.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    i left my mark at davidson. its worth seeing.
    When it was in the country.

Norman is an absolute beautiful body of water. The water is decently clear for the Catawba chain, and has more sandy bottom than mud. That said, it will be a zoo. Anywhere you launch on the west side of the lake will be better than the east side. You’ll hit less traffic north of HWY 150, but don’t expect to have it to yourself by any means. On any given Saturday Norman will have 3 different bass tournaments, a catfish tournament, sailing teams racing, and 5k recreation boaters. The jet ski crowd will be thick. Watch your 6 for any pontoon you come across- there are a few dozen companies that rent pontoon boats by the day to people that have no clue on how to motor a boat. We always use pinnacle access area, but have a plan B and C lined up in case it’s full.

Prayers sent.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Call Lake Norman Marine and tell them of you troubles with your Better Half's Planning. I believe they will help accommodate you.

If you come in on 321 take HWY 16 out of Hickory there are two public landings off 16 and second Lake Norman Marine as a good place. Big boat i would go with LNM. Stay away from Blythe Landing. It is a zoo on the weekend and controlled by Mecklenburg cnty parks so it is not open 24 hrs.

I’m in Troutman a good bit. I put in at Stumpy Creek. Have to get there early in the weekend and it’s two dollars to park but it’s a decent landing.

Quote Originally Posted by Cwaysvt View Post
    I’m in Troutman a good bit. I put in at Stumpy Creek. Have to get there early in the weekend and it’s two dollars to park but it’s a decent landing.
    A quality suggestion.

I'd pay to launch because it would significantly diminish the exposure to those who frequent public landings on weekends.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by SC quacker2 View Post
    When it was in the country.
    its north charlotte now.
    scary.
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Lake Norman Marina is not open to the public, just called them.

State park boat ramp usually isn’t too bad either but is a little out the way. It’s free.

I lived in Mooresvile from 08-10 and it was just starting to grow. Every time we go back now to visit the in-laws it’s more and more unrecognizable each time.

Every time I go to Mooresville I say it will be the last. That place has exploded.

I got lost on freaking Brawley school road. Was basically a back road back then. Now it’s a whole dang interchange.

Fake a kidney stone

Haha at Tater.

But I’ll up you one this un name drops Lake Norman.