Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rain Gear??

Default Rain Gear??

Need some suggestions on some relatively inexpensive rain gear for my son. He wears adult sizes now, but don't want to spend a ton because he is still growing fast. Looking for something relatively lightweight that can go over other clothes. Last time we got caught in it, he had one of those cheap vinyl/pvc suits and got soaked and cold. We are headed to Canada fishing this summer, and the weather can be anywhere from the 40's to the 80's. Sometimes in the same day.

Grundens bibs are really hard to beat.
    - "My dad used to tell me that nothing good happens when you take your AR to an out of town riot. Or maybe it was that nothing good happens after 1:00 in the morning. I can't remember any more." - Wob

- "Any thought of romance went out the window when I saw the Ohio plates" - Squirrel Master

Not sure what kind of options they have for pants/bibs but my carhartt rain jacket was about $100 and has held up well
    Houndsmen are born, not made

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    I STAND WITH DUCK CUTTER!
    Quote Originally Posted by JABIII View Post
    I knew it wasn't real because no dogbox...

Frogg Toggs are hard to beat for the money. They are basically a Tyvek type of material and will not stand up to prolonged hard use but you said he will grow out soon anyway. . MG

Like these: https://www.academy.com/p/frogg-togg...-black-x-large
    Last edited by Maggie Glover; 05-26-2022 at 09:25 AM.
    Dum Spiro Spero

frog togs
    "JUST BECAUSE I AM NOT A GOOD SPELLER DOESN'T MEAN MY JEAN POLL IS GONNA BE BAD."
    Quote Originally Posted by Mergie Master View Post
    There's evidence coming out...
    Quote Originally Posted by Cottontop74 View Post
    I dabble in a lot of things, but don't get too technical with any of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Duck cutter View Post
    Not sure what kind of options they have for pants/bibs but my carhartt rain jacket was about $100 and has held up well
    I have the same. Thinks it’s the carhartt force that I have. Severed me well. Probably $120 or so total.
    Last edited by bearclaw; 05-26-2022 at 03:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maggie Glover View Post
    Frogg Toggs are hard to beat for the money. They are basically a Tyvek type of material and will not stand up to prolonged hard use but you said he will grow out soon anyway. . MG

Like these: https://www.academy.com/p/frogg-togg...-black-x-large
    Mine did not hold up at all in the deluge in Clemson when Notre Dame came to town in 2015. I may as well have not worn anything. They held the water in.
    Last edited by rp; 05-26-2022 at 04:56 PM.
    It's not enough to simply tolerate the 2nd Amendment as an antiquated inconvenience. Caring for the 2nd Amendment means fighting to restore long lost rights.

Grundens, then sell it when he outgrows it.

Cofish is another option.

Hard to beat Grundens/Cofish.

Don't breathe but when it's really raining the breathables don't keep you dry.

Quote Originally Posted by mjiorle View Post
    Need some suggestions on some relatively inexpensive rain gear for my son. He wears adult sizes now, but don't want to spend a ton because he is still growing fast. Looking for something relatively lightweight that can go over other clothes. Last time we got caught in it, he had one of those cheap vinyl/pvc suits and got soaked and cold. We are headed to Canada fishing this summer, and the weather can be anywhere from the 40's to the 80's. Sometimes in the same day.
    Frog toggs. 5ey won’t break the bank. Then something good when he slows down growing.
    \"We say grace and we say maam, if you ain\'t into that, we don\'t give a damn.\" HW Jr.

Ebay, and buy military gortex
    Hancock 70 Yamaha

Default Rain Gear??

Quote Originally Posted by bearclaw View Post
    I have the same. Thinks it’s the carhartt force that I have. Severed me well. Probably $120 or so total.
    Damn. Hate to hear that. Arm? Leg? Just a hand?

ETA: in all seriousness, you couldn’t give me Frogg Toggs. Pure garbage and useless as tits on a boar hog if it’s really coming down. Doesn’t get better than Grundens for fishing specific rain gear.
    Last edited by FEETDOWN; 05-27-2022 at 05:33 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mars Bluff View Post
    Only thing we need to be wearing in this country are ass whippings & condoms. That'll clear up half our issues.

Default Rain Gear??

Helly Hansen is everywhere in Alaska. Just don’t move too much or you’ll sweat to death

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Last edited by bakerra2; 05-27-2022 at 07:25 AM.
    Jesco White is an American Hero.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Slinger View Post
    This.

I've got one of those Orvis fly fishing rain things, I like it. Main reason, it doesn't look tacky. I found an old school set of new duxbak, I wish it would have fit, G has them now. I mean, y'all are going to in Canada fishing, and probably father son bonding pics, you might as well be dapper if you're going to be seeing those images for years. I bought a Filson waterproof jacket when they came out, the duck hunting one. They'd be way too hot. Those things still run huge, I might have to trade or get rid of mine. I also have an old Barbour fishing/wading grease coat that I've hunted out of for years. I really think it's the perfect jacket for hunting around here, even though it's pretty light it'll get hot when it warms up.

Quote Originally Posted by FEETDOWN View Post
    Damn. Hate to hear that. Arm? Leg? Just a hand?

ETA: in all seriousness, you couldn’t give me Frogg Toggs. Pure garbage and useless as tits on a boar hog if it’s really coming down. Doesn’t get better than Grundens for fishing specific rain gear.
    Just the tip. Been one of those weeks. Worked little over 70 hours since Monday morning. I’ll try better next time.
    Last edited by bearclaw; 05-27-2022 at 08:45 AM.

KUIU

Frogg Toggs are the hottest bib's I've ever put on. They will keep you dry but if you wear them in any temperature greater than 60 degrees, you will sweat enough to make you just as wet as if you were getting rained on. I have Grundens bibs and a Huk jacket that's a pretty good combo right now. Wednesday morning I stood up as we got to the fishing grounds and dumped a puddle out of my beanbag. I was completely dry underneath.

Quote Originally Posted by Steel Slinger View Post
    I’ve got a green camo military GoreTex parka, size Large I’ll sell for $60 + shipping. I bought it used in excellent condition, but it’s a little smaller than I’d like and have only used it once or twice. It would be warm over 70 degrees, but should keep him dry.
    Foothills Golden Retriever Rescue
    "Keep your powder dry, Boys!"
    ~ George Washington

"If I understood everything I said I'd be a genius." ~ 'Unknown'

You could buy Cabela's Guide Wear and be done with it.

I have bibs and jacket(insulated) and wear it alot.

Nine years and still is a 100% waterproof.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    Last edited by Catdaddy; 05-29-2022 at 08:04 PM.