Thread: Low Country Game Bird Foundation

Default Low Country Game Bird Foundation

Wanted to share with everyone some stuff we have been working on this spring. Early 2022, Scott Rhodes (Calibogue) started the Low Country Game Bird Foundation with the hopes of promoting conservation of game birds in the south and even all of North America. Currently, the main focus of the foundation is the wild turkey. Lots of people from this website have already been involved in helping raise $ for research and I wanted to share with everyone in case anyone else was interested in helping the cause.

You can find more info at www.lowcountrygamebirdfoundation.org

And can also follow along on Instagram @lowcountry_gamebird_foundation

Thanks and if anyone has any questions, send them my way
    Member of the Tenth Legion Since 2004

I know many here received this email this morning, but for those that did not, here is an update of what we have done so far in 2022.

I hope everyone had an incredible season!
    I wanted to take the time to update everyone on what has happened as of late and the direction the LCGBF is moving right now.

First, thank you all for your continued support. It is more important right now than ever that we uniformly make our voices heard in wild turkey conservation. There is rumbling all across the country among hunters for positive change to maintain turkey population levels and in some areas, bring them back unfortunately! We would like to be that sounding board for this group so we can convey our thoughts, our message, and our concern to SCDNR among other state agencies.

On that note, myself and possibly others on the LCGBF plan to attend the NWTF Wild Turkey Symposium in Asheville, NC the first week of June. Our ambition is to represent this group in a professional manner and leave our mark among those in attendance that there are grassroot efforts underway in SC for positive change. If you can attend, this will be a very informative session of research being presented throughout the week.

https://www.nwts2022.org/

Everyone that paid entry fees and made donations should have received a contribution letter by now. These letters were ONLY sent to those that made the payment, not everyone FYI. If you did not receive yours, please let me know so it can be addressed.

The LCGBF sent out three donations totaling $27,500 the week before last with the majority of these funds going directly to wild turkey research. These funds were as follows....
    UGA Foundation, Mike Chamberlain......................$15,000
    Mossy Oak Wild Turkey Conservation Stamp........$10,000
    National Deer Association....................................... .$2,500

The donation sent to UGA is designated as unrestricted funds that Chamberlain plans to use for the ongoing SRS research project, more specifically to pay the salary of an intern he needed to add to the project.

The Mossy Oak donation is going directly to their Wild Turkey Conservation Stamp project whereby 100% of the proceeds will be used specifically for research. You can read more about it in this link and I encourage everyone to please purchase at least one stamp.
    Furthermore, Chamberlain and Lashley (University of Florida) are on the board and will be part of the decision making process regarding where the funds are sent.

https://www.mossyoak.com/wild-turkey-stamp

With our $10,000 donation to Mossy Oak, we will be receiving the equivalent value in these limited edition stamps that we can sell to raise money for the Foundation. Also, one stamp each will be reserved for everyone that hunted in the 2022 LCTI.

The final donation was made as a TRIBUTE donation in the name of R. Joseph Hamilton to the National Deer Association. Without Joe's help, support and commitment to wildlife conservation, the LCTI would have never developed into the event it has become. For that, I am forever grateful to Joe.

Finally, we have launched a basic website (link below) whereby we can begin to receive donations online. Please share and encourage others to help support our most worthy cause of game bird conservation. We hope to be adding hats and shirts for sale in the near future so please, please share this site!!

www.lowcountrygamebirdfoundation.org

Currently, we have interest and are discussing the possibility of holding an Invitational hunt to support the LCGBF in the SC midlands as well as south Georgia next spring. We are also discussing some sort of event to be held late fall or early winter. Stay tuned....and thank y'all!

Sincerely,

Scott T. Rhodes

Glad you didn't name it
    Lowcountry Game Bird and Turkey and Quail Foundation

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Glad you didn't name it
    I was waiting on this.
    "Rivers and the inhabitants of the watery elements are for wise men to contemplate and for fools to pass by without consideration" -Izaak Walton

Quote Originally Posted by Sportin' Woodies View Post
    Glad you didn't name it
    +10

I hope Waddy is in Ashville.

If he is and he's your best buddy don't take your wife.

Fact

I'm sure this a great organization just from seeing who is involved in it, but what is the difference between this and the turkeys for tomorrow efforts?
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

I'm sure songbirds will benefit too. You should add the "+".
    Ephesians 2 : 8-9

Charles Barkley: Nobody doesn't like meat.

Gutpile- sent you a PM.
    Cravin' me some boiled p-nuts

Quote Originally Posted by Tater
    Y’all don’t know shit about fuck.

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    I'm sure this a great organization just from seeing who is involved in it, but what is the difference between this and the turkeys for tomorrow efforts?
    The Low Country Game Bird Foundation is a NON-member non profit organization for starters.
    At the end of the day, our goals align very closely with TFT.

I have been hosting the Low Country Turkey Invitational for nearly 12 years now and since it has grown in popularity, so have the funds it is generating.
    I transitioned the LCTI to a QDMA fundraiser years ago with the help of my friend/mentor Joe Hamilton and, the event snowballed in 3 short years.

It was obvious to myself and others in light of wild turkey concerns, these funds from the LCTI needed to be going to turkey research.
    So, this spring I began the Low Country Game Bird Foundation and although our mission statement is broadly descriptive of ALL North American game birds, currently our focus is specific to wild turkeys for the foreseeable future.

To answer your question about what is the difference between Low Country Game Bird Foundation and Turkeys for Tomorrow.....Not much!
    We are a group of concerned hunters, landowners, and conservationist just like those that make up the board of TFT.
    But, we are a grassroots SC organization that can tell you specially where your donation is going and what research project it is being spent on.

In the future, we may be directing funds to habitat and conservation projects just like TFT.

Currently, we have a lot of support and have been discussing the possibility of holding two other invitational events next spring in other regions.

FYI, there is an issue with the website we hope to have correct this morning...... ETA, IT HAS BEEN CORRECTED
    Last edited by Calibogue; 05-27-2022 at 09:51 AM.
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

Thank you. Sounds like a worthy cause. Sent a donation. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help besides money. Be glad to donate some pot calls if you do fund raisers or for prizes at the invitationals.
    "My resume is the trail of destruction behind me. " Bucky Katt

Quote Originally Posted by flockbuster View Post
    Thank you. Sounds like a worthy cause. Sent a donation. Let me know if there is anything I can do to help besides money. Be glad to donate some pot calls if you do fund raisers or for prizes at the invitationals.
    Thank you very much for the support, it is greatly appreciated!
    \"I never saw a wild thing feel sorry for itself. A small bird will drop dead frozen from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself.\" <br />D.H. LAWRENCE

To those of you on the site who stepped up and made a donation, thank you!
    Myself and the board members really appreciate the help and enthusiasm that so many have shown for this movement.

whens the bass fishing tourney on lake tombo?
    Ugh. Stupid people piss me off.

Quote Originally Posted by 2thDoc View Post
    whens the bass fishing tourney on lake tombo?
    It was yesterday. Missed you
    Them that don't know him won't like him, and them that do sometimes won't know how to take him

He ain't wrong, he's just different, and his pride won't let him do things to make you think he's right

They don't put Championship rings on smooth hands